Inconsistent Tracers Will Be Fixed Soon

• This is another thread I hope I didn’t have to make
    The tracers on a lot of the weapons are very inconsistent, some of them forcing you to aim a certain way to get the full damage from the weapon. This is gimping a lot of the weapons, and obviously needs to be fixed.

There is no logical reason this should be this way, as it forces you to enable drawtracers just to tell where to position yourself to get full damage. Normal players don’t know how to do that.

Spartan Sword:

Necessary to look left of enemy for alt slash

Ninja Sickle:

Necessary to look up for overhead

If you want to check out the damages and tracers for yourself type this into the command window:
    open tut-training

@SlyGoat:

The angle that you have to aim at to hit with the alt overhead red tracers is so comical at the moment. I’m worried it’ll end up overpowered when we fix the tracers. My personal favorite Ninja weapon as well :)

woo woo

• Yes, yes, yes.

I tested a lot with the longsword:

• alt OH seems “ok”
    • nearly impossible to get a full damage stab (have to hit at the very, very end of release)
    • all other attacks have way too long blue and green tracers

When I try to make full damage hits in multiplayer the enemy is either already 2 meters away or he started his own attack and we trade. This also makes 1vsGroup fights nearly impossible at the moment because even though you deal 6 hits, noone dies. You don’t have the time to deal the full damage hit because they take too long and are too hard to perform in such a stressful situation.

• I see it more as a critical hit. then again knowing about which hight to aim the overheads shouldn’t be hard to find out, and the stabs deal the most damage at the end of the release, which leaves the slashes which will be rather hard to perform with max damage. Really in MW we learned how to use the weapons, when to feint, how to drag them properly, now this is another “skillbased” move that you can conquer. I myself was not a fan of CFTP in MW, but I’m thinking that it might be needed in DW, not only because of fighting multiple opponents, but because the gamespeed is 10% faster (according to lemon). With that speedincrease if you miss one of your comboswings you’ll get hit by your opponent most of the time and because the combos are so quick you’ve already queued up another attack at the same time your opponent manages to escape your wonderful overhead.

TLDR; I like it. Moar skeellbazed movez/manoverus yo!

• Also, this makes a lot of weapons seem much worse when it’s not even known you’re getting the reduced damage for fighting like you’re supposed to

Xyl no
    @Xylvion:

I see it more as a critical hit.

it’s not a critical
    it’s 100% damage

headshots are critical

@Xylvion:

then again knowing about which hight to aim the overheads shouldn’t be hard to find out

players are not going to view the tracers for every weapon just to find out where to aim to get their full damage
    that’s not going to happen

@Xylvion:

Really in MW we learned how to use the weapons, when to feint, how to drag them properly, now this is another “skillbased” move that you can conquer

I hate you so much

it’s not even anything intuitively skill based like accelerating attacks
    you have to type something in the command prompt to see this shit, I don’t want to do that for every weapon, and I don’t want new players to suffer because they don’t know they can do it

@Xylvion:

TLDR; I like it. Moar skeellbazed movez/manoverus yo!

still hate you
    it’s not skill based, it’s knowledge based

• Ok, Torn Banner could come and say: “We increased the damage of all weapons, but we made hitting with 100% very hard.” Then you can see the red tracers as a “critical hit”. But I don’t think that is the case, because the current 6 hits to kill is just shit.

“We have this real time strike system where you can adjust your attacks, but we gon’ punish you for using it!”
    Yes, slightly reduced damage at the very beginning and very end is ok and makes a lot of sense but not what we have now. They should rather remove handle hits finally.

Look at this screenshot I posted in the other thread. This can only be a mistake:

• @BB:

I hate you so much

Feeling’s mutual don’t worry (;

I know that it’s 100% damage, but I still see them as some sort of critical, I mean it could still be balanced out, the green area could do the normal 100% damage and the red area could do slightly more damage for example.

Oh and people don’t need to know the command, they could try it out in the tutorial, or else they might just have to get used to how many hits they need to take down someone.

Then again I wouldn’t mind a longer time for the 100% damage area either, I just think this new damage system is really interesting.

@fürst
    yeah that’s a bit to short indeed.

• @fvonb:

Ok, Torn Banner could come and say: “We increased the damage of all weapons, but we made hitting with 100% very hard.”

lol they can’t say that though since not all weapons are gimped like this
    it is very easy to get red hits with many of the weapons

pay attention Xyl
    this gimps the weapons such as the Sickle and Spartan’s Swords
    these weapons are now objectively worse than other weapons

• @BB:

lol they can’t say that though since not all weapons are gimped like this
    it is very easy to get red hits with many of the weapons

Man I will kick some ass when they fix my beautiful longsword. I feel like playing with a blunt sword at the moment.

• Some weapons definitely feel off. I shouldn’t have to hit a Knight 5 or 6 times as a Spartan with a sword to kill him, surely. I imagine I am hitting green with most hits so only registering minimal damage.

• Until this tracer damage system can be done properly, it should just be removed.

• @KONGEN:

Until this tracer damage system can be done properly, it should just be removed.

that’s a little extreme, it’s still a nice concept

• That thing is just bad. Chivalry was all about how freely you can move as you attack and now they punish it big time. It’s not a bad idea but needs work, just have 3 stages for tracers or 2. One where is blue now so it can nerf lookdowns, and then the rest normal dmg. Last one could be right before swing ends with reduced dmg but I don’t think thats a good idea, just two tracer stages would be good.

• @fvonb:

Look at this screenshot I posted in the other thread. This can only be a mistake:

Not necessarily. The entire blue area is an area of the sword swing that you’re unlikely to hit your opponent with unless you crouch or perform the 180-matrix overhead. I think the red effective area looks good. Decelerating and accelerating swings should be rewarding in the sense that you get an easier hit. Landing a “proper” strike rewards you with more power. (Which in a sense is realistic, huh?)
    However, after checking against a dummy, I found that the green tracers cover a bit too much of the swing. My biggest issue is that you must maintain quite a precise distance in order to land the red strikes, otherwise the green area closest to the player character will hit your opponent very early on.

I almost suggest removing the tracers that are right next to the handle. (Almost.)

• @Sciffer:

and now they punish it big time.

it’s not really punishing, helicoptering just isn’t as effective

• @Sciffer:

That thing is just bad. Chivalry was all about how freely you can move as you attack and now they punish it big time. It’s not a bad idea but needs work, just have 3 stages for tracers or 2. One where is blue now so it can nerf lookdowns, and then the rest normal dmg. Last one could be right before swing ends with reduced dmg but I don’t think thats a good idea, just two tracer stages would be good.

I think nerfing things like lookdowns and the twirly dance reverse overhead was the idea. I never had problems with either in MW, the latter being difficult to land. It also makes dragging pointless - which is my big problem.

• @omg87:

@Sciffer:

It also makes dragging pointless - which is my big problem.

I just played a long Viking Skeggöx session and you can drag perfectly fine with this thing. :)

• This system is so awesome on so many levels, screw you if you don’t like it, go back to slow mo medieval times. Anybody know what the vertical white lines mean? is it the time of the swings I presume?

• Only just found out about this whole tracer thing. Seems pretty dodgy that I’m going to have to look up how to actually do damage with these weapons. I would’ve thought it should be obvious for less of a learning curve.

• @El:

Only just found out about this whole tracer thing. Seems pretty dodgy that I’m going to have to look up how to actually do damage with these weapons. I would’ve thought it should be obvious for less of a learning curve.

Red tracers not being in the center of your screen is definitely not intentional

• @Hitom:

This system is so awesome on so many levels, screw you if you don’t like it, go back to slow mo medieval times.

The idea is awesome, the implementation is not.