Catapult Camera?

• Is there a catapult projectile camera?

• Supposedly but it doesn’t work….

• they want to get it to work but haven’t figured out why it’s not working i guess yet. There are bigger fish to fry. I think cata camera would def make people use it ALL THE TIME lol. Constant rocks raining, there would have to be an achievement made to follow. Must fill entire killfeed in one blow.

“it’s raining men”

• I’ve see people fill the killfeed.

Full of team mates.

• I’ve been part of that killfeed.

• It works when you’re playing with bots.

Apart from that, it’s never worked in online play AFAIK.

• Mod

Well I think that the catapult is an art of both finesse and timing.
    I would think that attaching a camera to the boulder will be bad since it would make the catapults so ‘popular’ people wouldn’t be playing the objective… being how the camera would in my opinion make it easy.

• @User:

I would think that attaching a camera to the boulder will be bad since it would make the catapults so ‘popular’ people wouldn’t be playing the objective… being how the camera would in my opinion make it easy.

Age of Chivalry catapult > Chivalry catapult

One of many of the problems with the catapult is the huge lack of site lines. This is due to poor location choices and environmental fog. A camera would actually help prevent some of the team killing and make it more of a side objective to contain and control. AOC had far better cats in the ability to actually move and adjust the range. They were also far better in that you didnt mount them. Another stupid choice from the devs not to break something that didnt need fixing. The controls were far more fluid and the pull back animations and audio were far more accurate in aiming and distance. In addition to all the horrible aspects of the cats in Chiv is that because you are actually mounted to the cat, when you get attacked, you get knocked off and not able to fight unless you parry first otherwise all you can do is run.

Sadly one of my fav weapons from AOC became useless in Chiv.

• @User:

I don’t think we should nix fixing a bug because it would be too fun and exciting to use…

• it’d take a lot of skill out of using it. on stoneshill, you just need a buddy to spot for you. I went to the top of the hill there while the cart was being pushed and just told him how far to adjust.

• @clayton-bigsby:

it’d take a lot of skill out of using it. on stoneshill, you just need a buddy to spot for you. I went to the top of the hill there while the cart was being pushed and just told him how far to adjust.

In AOC you didn’t need a camera or have to be told where to shoot, you could actually fight and or walk around the cat after you made range adjustments, fire it and watch where it landed because you were not really attached to it, and the controls were very precise compared to out of sync auto clicks and animations of the cats in Chiv.

Chiv cats are horrible, bad design specially when you had a working system prior, but hey, they look cool……

• @Retsnom:

@clayton-bigsby:

it’d take a lot of skill out of using it. on stoneshill, you just need a buddy to spot for you. I went to the top of the hill there while the cart was being pushed and just told him how far to adjust.

In AOC you didn’t need a camera or have to be told where to shoot, you could actually fight and or walk around the cat after you made range adjustments, fire it and watch where it landed because you were not really attached to it, and the controls were very precise compared to out of sync auto clicks and animations of the cats in Chiv.

Chiv cats are horrible, bad design specially when you had a working system prior, but hey, they look cool……

Yeah the AOC ones were way more immersive and cooler to use.

In this catapult the clicks bug out so there’s about 13 instead of 5. Making it harder to tell the range when you are used to 5. And they are just simple now. You get locked into it you point then click. And when you get knocked off or just get off you appear on the other side of the catapult. Really great to get away from someone who’s about to hit you off but its kind of an exploit.

• Mod

@gregcau:

I don’t think we should nix fixing a bug because it would be too fun and exciting to use…

The catapult is currently very powerful, and I personally don’t rely on seeing where I hit when I fire it.
    I think it promotes teamwork since my best catapult time were with a good friend who acted as my eyes, giving me direction on my aim. Once that was applied I found the catapult devastating. To the point the enemy team (agatha in this case) called a vote on me for hacking on the catapult hehe.

I think that if the catapult would be ‘boulder cam’ enabled then you would see most of the new players going for that… maybe over playing archers?? This in my opinion is bad because I am seeing alot of new players having massive TK and vote-battles over this single catapult, more rage on the forums requesting for more catapults being places or removed altogether and generally alot of frustrated ‘veterans’ due to lack of PTO on these maps. (Which are mostly TO… with the exception of Argon’s Wall, which has the catapult in other game modes)

I am pretty happy with the catapult the way it is right now because of the finesse and, to my opinion, skill it takes to use it appropriately- less about raking kills and more about doing that without hurting your teammates as well as generally a good catapult operator will create a rush of tactical cooperation to my experience.

So I sincerely cannot see anything not fun in the catapult currently… if anything it adds to the comic relief of this game when the launching goes awry. I think enabling a camera for the boulder will take that away and put in more complaints and ‘issues’.

My personal method is timing and listening to the catapult sounds and I think I am a pretty good catapult operator, even without eyes.

Also my personal opinion considering the AOC catapult was that it was generally too easy to operate and would also not penalize the player for this immense damage output since adjusting it didn’t mean sitting on it like a vehicle- rather moving back and forth and adjusting levers. While some people find that fun to do I personally think that the new catapult is more fair towards an attacker since they have the chance for an attack of opportunity- and likewise, wise operators would be wary to keep watch around them.

• viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10983

That’s from February this year. T_T

• @User:

@gregcau:

The catapult is currently very powerful, and I personally don’t rely on seeing where I hit when I fire it.
    I think it promotes teamwork since my best catapult time were with a good friend who acted as my eyes, giving me direction on my aim. Once that was applied I found the catapult devastating. To the point the enemy team (agatha in this case) called a vote on me for hacking on the catapult hehe.

I think that if the catapult would be ‘boulder cam’ enabled then you would see most of the new players going for that… maybe over playing archers?? This in my opinion is bad because I am seeing alot of new players having massive TK and vote-battles over this single catapult, more rage on the forums requesting for more catapults being places or removed altogether and generally alot of frustrated ‘veterans’ due to lack of PTO on these maps. (Which are mostly TO… with the exception of Argon’s Wall, which has the catapult in other game modes)

I am pretty happy with the catapult the way it is right now because of the finesse and, to my opinion, skill it takes to use it appropriately- less about raking kills and more about doing that without hurting your teammates as well as generally a good catapult operator will create a rush of tactical cooperation to my experience.

So I sincerely cannot see anything not fun in the catapult currently… if anything it adds to the comic relief of this game when the launching goes awry. I think enabling a camera for the boulder will take that away and put in more complaints and ‘issues’.

My personal method is timing and listening to the catapult sounds and I think I am a pretty good catapult operator, even without eyes.

Also my personal opinion considering the AOC catapult was that it was generally too easy to operate and would also not penalize the player for this immense damage output since adjusting it didn’t mean sitting on it like a vehicle- rather moving back and forth and adjusting levers. While some people find that fun to do I personally think that the new catapult is more fair towards an attacker since they have the chance for an attack of opportunity- and likewise, wise operators would be wary to keep watch around them.

Are we even playing the same game? Seriously? I don’t think I can swallow that much bullshit your trying to feed us. You cannot time anything because both the audio and the animations are desynced most of the time. The cats are horrible, buggy, and for the most part useless specially compared to AOC cats. Chiv cats are even limited in range where AOC cats had far longer range and superior accuracy. Chiv cats are like fighting against feints, a guessing game at best.

Personally I hate the idea of a cam except to watch bodies hit the floor. Give me back the old cats any day. These buggy pos suck balls. No pun intended.

• The audio is not always desynced and in the right hands the catapult can be very powerful I deeded.

Though not many people are good at the catapult even when its working.

And its rather boring.

Its only got 5 ranges it can fire at. Bugs out often.

But it doesn’t mean its useless. While its not as good as the AOC cata’s its certainly not useless.

• @lemonater47:

The audio is not always desynced and in the right hands the catapult can be very powerful I deeded.

Though not many people are good at the catapult even when its working.

And its rather boring.

But it doesn’t mean its useless. While its not as good as the AOC cata’s its certainly not useless.

If it is broken and inconsistent like much of the game, it becomes practically useless. AKA if it wasn’t for a free weekend every now and again the game would be dying much faster. Cats are just one more example of too much of it being broken to be consistently effective or even worth the effort.

• Mod

@Retsnom:

Are we even playing the same game? Seriously? I don’t think I can swallow that much bullshit your trying to feed us. You cannot time anything because both the audio and the animations are desynced most of the time. The cats are horrible, buggy, and for the most part useless specially compared to AOC cats. Chiv cats are even limited in range where AOC cats had far longer range and superior accuracy. Chiv cats are like fighting against feints, a guessing game at best.

Personally I hate the idea of a cam except to watch bodies hit the floor. Give me back the old cats any day. These buggy pos suck balls. No pun intended.

As frighting it might be Retsnom, some people don’t think like you. And in this specific case I happen to be one of them. Its slightly demeaning of you to not even consider other people’s opinions as anything more than bullshit once that opinion doesn’t share yours.

I could, for example argue that anyone can actually time the catapult and that I have taken a lot of time into studying the catapult sounds and distances just to get better at it- but that would change little because you would probably just say the other way, season it with aggressive side statements and slap on some nostalgia sticker on it. So to be honest I don’t really see much of a discussion going on in here between you and I. Or generally on any subject you happen to put your opinion on- purely because of your stomping and aggressive posting nature which often also remains wanting on the points you are trying to make.

So in closing, Shingouki- there is currently no ‘arrow camera’ for the catapult nor has there ever been one to date… whether or not there should be one is still down for discussion on our part and mostly per the developer decision. But I honestly think you don’t need one to become a good catapult operator and enjoy it.

That said, see you in game ;)

• @lemonater47:

not true, you can fire more than 5 ranges. The clicks are just indicators… you can release in between 2 clicks and get an entirely different range… so you are incorrect sir.

• So the argument is all about whether the catapult camera should work or not, right?
    It should. Even the devs have said that.
    They just don’t know how to make it work on a server. The fact that it doesn’t work IS a problem, because it’s bug #387 that was reported a year ago and still hasn’t been fixed.
    @clayton-bigsby:

The clicks are just indicators… you can release in between 2 clicks and get an entirely different range.

True - but the clicks are lousy indicators. Bug #388 …