[KNIGHT] Intermediate Strategy Tutorial

• Hi guys, I’ve just finished making my first Youtube tutorial for chivalry! Hopefully some of you will find it useful.

Its more of a strategy/PTFO tutorial rather than a “swing like this” video.

bVmb2fBFdmg

Youtube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVmb2fBFdmg

My next video will be on the vanguard (The greater the interest the sooner the ETA). Any input is appreciated, no matter how minor/major it may seem; this way hopefully I can improve on the next video!

Shout out to Yarnu the Dog for inspiring me to make this vid!

Thanks for watching!

Below is essentially the script for the video if you find it hard to understand me.

o What this tutorial is about (Where to be and what to do in the fight)
    In This tutorial I will explain what you should be doing as a knight.
    I assume that you already understand the basics of combat, are already familiar with the maps and know what the objectives are. I’d say that you are at an intermediate level once you unlock all the weapons for all classes (that includes the archer).
    By watching this tutorial, you should begin to understand where you should be as a Knight; which will lead to more and better fights for you!

This tutorial assumes that you are using a single handed weapon (preferably the war hammer) and a tower shield.
    To follow this tutorial, you’ll need your primary and secondary to be a one handed weapon (preferably the warhammer and falchion). It doesn’t matter what weapon it is, just make sure you are using the tower shield.

o What it is not about (Advanced combat mechanics/swordplay)
    This tutorial will notbe explaining advanced combat mechanics, such as swing dragging.

Playing the Objective as a Knight
    The knight only has eyes for the objective. He only kills and sees those that get in between him and his objective.
    Playing the objective is the most important thing you can do in this game. It makes the difference between the winning and losing team. Often the winning team is the team that is playing the objective. Games where both teams are playing the objective are the most fun to play.
    As a Knight you should be constantly pushing toward or defending the objective. Ignore everything else. The Knight only focuses on the objective. He kills all enemies found at his objective.

o What is the combat line?
    The combat line is an imaginary line where at least two opposing players meet to fight for the objective. Keep in mind that a combat line can form anywhere, but they usually occur at choke points or more hopefully at the objective.
    In most objective maps, the defenders will spawn behind or near the objective. This means the defenders typically end up with an advantage, as they do not have to move as far to defend the objective.

o Knight placement on the combat line/Knight combat role
    The Knight should be at the front of combat, fighting for the objective. If not in combat the Knight will be running to the objective, essentially unaware of anything that is not near the objective. Once there, the knight will defend allied classes at the objective (taking special care of allied vanguards). A knight should attempt to take damage away from his team. A knight with a tower shield will attract a lot of attention, leaving openings for allies to attack. Where possible the knight should attack.

o Priority targets for Knights (any enemy at the objective, ignore everything else)
    Once you make it to the combat line you should target enemy knights (especially those using two handed weapons). If you catch an enemy vanguard too far forward, be sure to attack him. If there are no enemy knights or vanguards, stand at the objective and fight anyone that gets near. Do NOT chase enemies.

o Knight + Vanguard Synergy
    When fighting at the combat line, attempt to stay near allied vanguards. Simply by being present at the fight you will allow friendly vanguards to attack.

o Roles NOT recommended for the Knight (chasing man at arms + archers)
    As a Knight you are too slow to be chasing man at arms and archers. Don’t waste the time.

o Why focus on the Tower shield?
    The Knight is the only class with access to the tower shield.
    Yes the tower shield slows you down. Yes the tower shield is hard to see over. Yes the tower shield will take some time to master.
    However, once mastered a tower shield knight will frustrate enemy formations and allow allies to attack freely. Practice with the tower shield as often as possible, it is only as good as the knight using it.
    Keep in mind that you are especially vulnerable to overhead strikes. If you end up fighting a man at arms it may be best to temporarily holster your shield. While holstered, the shield can block arrows from behind you.

o When to use your secondary
    I think the best secondary weapon for a Knight is a bladed weapon; although the choice should fill the gap that your primary leaves. In rare instances that you end up facing a talented man at arms; switching to the faster secondary may be appropriate.

o Instances where you can use two handed weapons
    Once you start understanding your position at the combat line feel free to try the two handed weapons. If you do this make sure that you use over head strikes or stabs in order not to hit allies. But generally, you may as well play the vanguard if you are going to use a two handed weapon.

• Yawn… Gangland Warfare Knight tutorial.

If you really want to learn to play, stay away from gangland warfare team modes and start dueling.

I can’t guarantee that you will avoid meeting LMB spamming degenerates but I can guarantee that the overall skill rating is much higher and combat is much more varied.

Not to mention that multiple foe combat was broken back in February or March when they decided that we should be stunned if we’re hit while out of stamina. This practically makes it impossible to win against multiple HALF DECENT opponents. KEYWORD: Half decent.

• Lol.

That is all.

• @trooper:

Yawn… Gangland Warfare Knight tutorial.

If you really want to learn to play, stay away from gangland warfare team modes and start dueling.

I can’t guarantee that you will avoid meeting LMB spamming degenerates but I can guarantee that the overall skill rating is much higher and combat is much more varied.

Not to mention that multiple foe combat was broken back in February or March when they decided that we should be stunned if we’re hit while out of stamina. This practically makes it impossible to win against multiple HALF DECENT opponents. KEYWORD: Half decent.

As I mentioned early in the video, this isn’t a combat mechanics tutorial; there are already heaps of great vids for that.

But I agree, the Knight did take a massive nerf (especially kicking down the shield). I think that in future patches, the Knight will be rebalanced, thus making the shield knight more relevant. Perhaps I didn’t emphasize the relationship with the knight and vanguard well enough in my vid.

Thanks for your input! :D

@Daiyuki:

Lol.

That is all.

???

• Good tutorial. I’ve been playing for quite a while, but never thought of knight in that manner.

Interesting to see how people look at post patch gameplay.

Well done, keep it coming!

• @trooper:

Yawn… Gangland Warfare Knight tutorial.

If you really want to learn to play, stay away from gangland warfare team modes and start dueling

Lol, he shows teamwork and objective-centered thinking, and you reduce it to gangfare? You remind me of someone who once said this game wasn’t about teamwork because it didn’t have the word team in it. Neither does fucking CounterStrike, but it’s just as much an objective-centered game.

If you can’t even conceive that this tutorial was made to make sense of a chaotic battlefield, rather than endorse it, you can go back to playing your duels like they’re the epitome of what this game has to offer, the rest will do as they damn well please.

• @buddhatron:

Lol, he shows teamwork and objective-centered thinking, and you reduce it to gangfare? You remind me of someone who once said this game wasn’t about teamwork because it didn’t have the word team in it. Neither does fucking CounterStrike, but it’s just as much an objective-centered game.

If you can’t even conceive that this tutorial was made to make sense of a chaotic battlefield, rather than endorse it, you can go back to playing your duels like they’re the epitome of what this game has to offer, the rest will do as they damn well please.

You are correct. The same mentality of only sticking to duels is what killed SWTOR. This culture of “get gud” dueling elitists will kill this game (have done so already), and then just blame it all on the developers.

• haha telling people to practice tower shield
    10/10 would lol again