Admins, how do you deal with griefers?

• I would like to know about how griefers are handled, on any server, with any ammount of prior offences with that player. This week i encountered 2 instances of obvious griefing.

1. Stoneshill, stage 2. Some rank 36 guy joins the game, selects the agatha team and straight away runs up to the ramparts and starts TKing the archers. His clan (NR, oceanic clan) is already getting a bit of a bad rep for disruptive behavior on public servers.

2. Darkforest, stage 4. Hear someone smashing into the royal family cave. When i go down there i see an agatha maa standing with the mason vanguard hitting the wall spamming “got your back” and nodding. The mason gets in and the maa starts team-attcking me when i try to stop him. Somewhat funny but still shitty behavior.

As an admin, what is your response when you encounter this behavior on your server? Taking into account if that player has previous bans/warnings.

• NR is made up of Pub veterans gone competitive. Though they still get up to some silly stuff. I’ve talked to a few of them including the leader but its a large-ish clan made up of all sorts of people.

What he’s doing is a bannable offence so naturally he’ll get a ban.

The second option isn’t against the rules. We can’t ban people for doing nothing which he was literally doing. But a warning, kick or even a team swap. If he wants to help the masons he can jolly well be on the mason team. Swapping teams work well for thing similar to that and when two people on the same team are arguing about teamkills and trying to get revenge on each other. Team swap one and they can kill each other without breaking rules and without people getting coughs up on the crossfire between them. Before I was admin an argument between 2 people ended up between 5 people because they were trying to kill each other.

Best you can do is report the players who teamkill.

• @Ready:

I would like to know about how griefers are handled, on any server, with any ammount of prior offences with that player. This week i encountered 2 instances of obvious griefing.

1. Stoneshill, stage 2. Some rank 36 guy joins the game, selects the agatha team and straight away runs up to the ramparts and starts TKing the archers. His clan (NR, oceanic clan) is already getting a bit of a bad rep for disruptive behavior on public servers.

2. Darkforest, stage 4. Hear someone smashing into the royal family cave. When i go down there i see an agatha maa standing with the mason vanguard hitting the wall spamming “got your back” and nodding. The mason gets in and the maa starts team-attcking me when i try to stop him. Somewhat funny but still shitty behavior.

As an admin, what is your response when you encounter this behavior on your server? Taking into account if that player has previous bans/warnings.

1. If the person is teamkilling, I’d warn the person then if they persist, I remove them. However though, 99% of the time, players always votekick before I really have to do anything.

2. If the person is team-attacking, I’d switch him/her to the other team so they can play for the team they seem to want to play for. I also issue a warning and if they keep it up, I remove them.

• The first one is an obvious griefer and deserves a ban. No questions here.

The second one is not as clear. Maybe he played with some buddies on Mason and when they completed the second last stage autobalance kicked in. As nobody likes being switched to the losing team after doing work for the winners side he might have decided to aid his ‘true’ team instead. Teamswitch should be an option.

• @Ready:

I would like to know about how griefers are handled, on any server, with any ammount of prior offences with that player. This week i encountered 2 instances of obvious griefing.

Our servers carry two simple rules: no racism and no intentional TKing

Although some other actions we warn/kick/ban for such as kciking teammates of bridges/kicking them out of catas etc.,

As keith says, often with intentional TKing we don’t get a chance to kick as people tend to votekick, especially so with my clan servers as we see around 60% regular players at anyone time who know the rules and, generally speaking, aren’t arses.

So for me, it depends on the ciscumstances. If someone with low rank accidentally swings at the start of round, no problem. If someone high ranked suddenly starts TKing middle of the round we might ask why (sometimes they might have been teamswitched and not realise) and if it keeps up tend to issue kick or bans.

Generally speaking the more complicated the rules, the more interpretation and trolling occurs. Keeping the rules simple, vetting the admins well and using common sense seems to have worked for us so far.

• Intentional teamkilling is intentional teamkilling they know they are breaking the rules and don’t deserve a warning.

• @lemonater47:

Intentional teamkilling is intentional teamkilling they know they are breaking the rules and don’t deserve a warning.

Some things are not so black and white. There could be a reason that they are as MonkeyFiend has mentioned. So the warning is a way to let them know in case they’re not fully paying attention. If they continue then that’s when the ban comes.

I always give warnings for everything because it gives the player a chance to redeem him/herself instead of just banning people without any say.

• Start a votekick. If the server decides to let them stay, ok then.

That’s just what I do though, I only admin Interitus Duels, where the leeway really depends on what you’re doing and how I am feeling about what you’re doing. Sometimes there’s a no-tolerance versus people disrupting play, sometimes people band together against the offender and he quits, sometimes they just votekick before I need to do anything else.

• @Keith:

@lemonater47:

Intentional teamkilling is intentional teamkilling they know they are breaking the rules and don’t deserve a warning.

Some things are not so black and white. There could be a reason that they are as MonkeyFiend has mentioned. So the warning is a way to let them know in case they’re not fully paying attention. If they continue then that’s when the ban comes.

I always give warnings for everything because it gives the player a chance to redeem him/herself instead of just banning people without any say.

Well I don’t think his example of teamkilling in number 1 is because of misidentification. Or forgetting what team you are on. Especially when he’s in a clan. Its like teamkilling in spawn.

Teamkills in anger I give people warnings. I know this game can make people rage more than any other game and sometimes people just need to calm down.

The problem is merrily teamkilling like in that example is something that guy thinks is fun. So while you may warn him today the next day he’ll do it again without the admin on. I used to give warnings but the I’d be informed of that person teamkilling again on another server of ours. It makes me feel guilty for not taking action the first time.

Still on our servers even we admins need evidence that the guy was doing it on purpose. People who did it accidentally try and defend themselves. People who do it on purpose either stay silent or say something thing like “fuck you bitches” when a votekick starts against them. As long as you don’t show them that you are an admin that will usually happen. If you log in as admin they will try and defend themselves anyway. Most of them expect to be kicked and don’t really care. But not banned. Even then they think its just one server. When really its 27.

Also players can report others if they too have evidence which helps put a bit of fear into people before they do bad things. Being banned off 75% of the servers is pretty scary.

And a hacker well he’ll get banned of our servers then I will report him to get him banned of the official servers too. Clan servers always have admins on and that leaves about 5 servers left to play on with under 200 ping. Who no one really goes on. Though once again you need a lot of evidence to ban a hacker. And it has to not be lag. A video is always required. Its not a temp ban like teamkilling is.