Viking Berserk

• Will there be a real berserk for the vikings? I like the way the combo speed increases but I was really dissapointed after watching the vikings go berserk in the trailer and then in game having no effects or anything, just speed increase. It would be cool if you could taunt to go berserk like in the trailer and had the combo speed only during berserk mode which would last for some time and also have a cooldown. Is there going to be any effects added on the berserking or will it stay like it is now in the beta?

• in a seperate post a developer mentioned they are buffing the berserker stage… i can’t remember exactly how, i was kinda drunk when i read it… but its good news none the less… the post is named something along the lines of “vikings special ability” or something like that… hold on… ill try to find the post 8-)

Ahh here it is… this is what the dev/mod/whatever said:

"All Viking weapons are getting a small buff, including thrown weapons which will do significantly more damage - shield throw will be a little slower but you’ll be able to pick the shield up again. We’re also working on improving the throw mechanic in general.

Dual wield weapons as of next patch will do the same damage non-dual wield variants deal currently, while non-dual wield will do slightly more than they do now. The benefit of dual wielding is your base combo speed is higher, which is a bonus right off the bat but is especially noticeable when combined with berserker combos. Dual wield also has slightly slower recovery, however, so when you stop comboing you’re more vulnerable. Obviously dual wield has to have downsides or it would gain unwarranted superiority over non-dual wield."

so basically the dude is saying they are not buffing it, they are “tweaking” it… personally i don’t see why they feel the need to have dual wielding more unattractive (note: Not worse) than wearing shield+weapon.

i would also have liked to see an addressing of the inability to pick your weapons back up if you hit a corpse or hit a guy and kill him off… even if he survives the hit and the weapon is stuck in him, the viking should be able to retrieve he’s weapon somehow… i already suggested making kicks the vikings “weapon retrieval”… meaning it could stun the guy as usual with a neat, but quick animation showing the viking pulling he’s weapon from he’s victim at the same time… but since its going to function as both a kick and a weapon retrieval there should be a downside to it… i.e the kick takes 20% longer to perform or something.

• Alright. That weapon retrieving from the corpses seems like a good idea. :D

• @Jaggsaw:

i would also have liked to see an addressing of the inability to pick your weapons back up if you hit a corpse or hit a guy and kill him off… even if he survives the hit and the weapon is stuck in him, the viking should be able to retrieve he’s weapon somehow… i already suggested making kicks the vikings “weapon retrieval”… meaning it could stun the guy as usual with a neat, but quick animation showing the viking pulling he’s weapon from he’s victim at the same time… but since its going to function as both a kick and a weapon retrieval there should be a downside to it… i.e the kick takes 20% longer to perform or something.

I’m not sure about the kick, but I definitively think you should be able to retrieve thrown weapons off enemies corpses. Currently, in team deathmatch and such, the only way to completely revert your status is to kill yourself, and you end up disabled until you do so. I like the idea of managing your throwables so that you are at risk of disabling yourself mid-combat if you don’t kill someone with the throw, but once you’re done fighting and are ready to move on to the next fight, I really think you should be able to retrieve your projectiles from the corpses. In MW, you had ammo boxes. I prefer this idea.

• Yeah it would be nice if you were able to pick up weapons from the corpses. Many times you die just because you have thrown all your weapons into another man and can’t retrieve them back when more people come. Have you noticed a bug in the shield toss by the way? If you get hit when you hold M3 the shield toss stops and when you try it again, the shield toss stops in the middle of a throw and you get staggered as if you were hit again. You won’t be able to throw the shield until you die. The shield just doesn’t fly off.