Health Regen & Realism

• I love Chivalry, the first person melee combat is like no other game I have played.
    However something annoying I have found is the health regeneration. Its annoying hitting a guy a few times and for one reason or another they escape and are not killed and simply regen there health and you feel as though you have done nothing.
    I think each weapon should have a secondary damage value. This value can decrease the injured recipients maximum health by that amount. For example if someone is hit by an arrow and runs behind cover, they take the initial damage of the arrow and can regen health like normal except the maximum amount of health they can have is reduced by the arrows secondary damage value. Get hit by two arrows the maximum health would be even lower.
    Naturally when I see a guy with two arrows sticking out of him before a combat I think he is already injured, it sucks to know that he is actually probably at full health and the arrow damage had been fully healed.
    The secondary weapon value would also help to differentiate the weapons more because as is some of the weapons feel the same.

Overall I think lowering peoples maximum hp after they have been hit a few times not only makes more sense from a realistic point of view, adds more to the depth and gameplay, and helps to further distinguish weapons but would also be a great overall addition tot he game and be a game element not many other people can say they have done.

• I don’t want to see anything happen to the regeneration to make it more restrictive. I think it’s already fairly restrictive in that it doesn’t regenerate when sprinting - it shouldn’t slow down play at all IMO. The reason it’s there is to prevent suiciding to respawn at full HP to be encouraged for the defending team.

• I didn’t play the game yet, as I was out of funds to get the beta access (Purchased the normal pre-order though) But by watching the videos, I would say the system looks fair. It doesn’t recharge awfully fast like some first person shooters, which also allow you to heal while running.

• I thought the same, but in Age of Chivalry, it became a pain in the ass to be alive with 10HP, that takes 5 minutes to regen.

• Developer

Death comes so quickly, i feel the ability to regen is like a reward for surviving an itial skirmish, suicide to respawn issue aside, Im a huge realism fan and really don’t like regen, but as an elitist realism guy- i have to admit, i like it, and want it to stay. Go ahead and regen, ur a stab and overhead away from death at full health anyway, and youll need to take a break– you arent going to regen in a battle, just in between.

• i believe your health only regenerates when at full stamina, so regenerating will be hard if you have just finished attacking or sprinting.

• Many threads 'bout this already.
    I do think HP regen is very fine gameplay wise.
    And realism… who wants THAT kind of realism in games ? Visual realism and core gameplay realism are a must, but when it comes to video games, people should just learn that sometimes, total realism makes for boring or unbalanced gameplay…if not totally broken.

• health regen is fine. i used to think it wasnt, but think how irritating it would be to get hit in a fight and then go to the next and be at a huge disadvantage, i think the regen is perfect actually.

my biggest beef with chiv being an AoC player is the crosshair. I know i can turn it off but thats not the point, i just feel it has no place in the game

-Angeleyes

• This may be a little bit off-topic, although I feel like posting it here anyways.

Wouldn’t it be interesting if one invidual player would have an addiotional damage boost on their weapons, when they are in really low health, thus making it actually do-able to engage in combat, instead of playing hide and seek till you’ve recovered?

To make it match with realism, we could say that the player gets this “Adrenaline kick” once they lose their hp for example down to 10%?

Imagine taking a risky move with vanguard’s sprint attack at low hp then, either you succeed, or you die !

• Really really really dislike that idea.

• I just love how the regen forces a player to walk after recovering from a battle, which makes a lot more sense realistically then if a player went sprinting off after a grueling battle…

• I like the regeneration of health. In mount and blade there was no way to invcrease your health between small battles and that was really annoying because you would loose a 1on1 just because you fought some guy 3 minutes before.

• Didn’t read the other posts. But I share Sturmhardt’s opinion on this.
    In M&B you can be an uber badass fighter but you can tell you’re going down after a certain amount of time because of too many minor hits taken.

I found it refreshing that in Chivalry after some time I’m all okay again. It may be arcade but for this kind of game (where medics and self-bandaging are ridiculous) it’s cool. It just makes me feel heroic if I get the chance to fight every encounter and win if I’m good enough and not lose because of hits taken minutes ago.

• @Siegbert:

Didn’t read the other posts. But I share Sturmhardt’s opinion on this.
    In M&B you can be an uber badass fighter but you can tell you’re going down after a certain amount of time because of too many minor hits taken.

I found it refreshing that in Chivalry after some time I’m all okay again. It may be arcade but for this kind of game (where medics and self-bandaging are ridiculous) it’s cool. It just makes me feel heroic if I get the chance to fight every encounter and win if I’m good enough and not lose because of hits taken minutes ago.

Heroic feeling FTW !

• Oh yeah :berz:

• I really like this health regen system too, but the guy has a point about lowering the maximum HP bar!

It would make the weapons more unique and let’s face the truth, a guy that got hit by a big axe shouldn’t fight at the same level as a guy who didn’t take one hit!

I support keeping the health regen and adding this max hp damage system! :]

• well i personaly think that the health regen system in AOC was perfect! ( the stamina system too )
    i personaly think they should put he same regen in chivalry …

• I actually think that the regeneration in chivalry is great, the one in aoc was too slow in my opinion.

• Regen in this is better than I had thought.

FOR ANYONE WHO HAS NOT PLAYED IT.

It is still slow enough that in the time it takes you to regen, you could’ve respawned and been at the place where you would’ve died…so it doesn’t change much, except K/D ratio.

• Ehh… I don’t care too much for this system. But it’s a minor detail really. If you die you die. If I were to suggest anything I would say just slow it down a few seconds. It does seem a little fast.

I don’t like the idea of losing health. It would be a handicap for skilled players, as you would inevitably die no matter how good you are. It’s only a matter of time before your wounds become to great and you get killed.

This idea kind of reminds me of Ninja Gaiden 2’s system. Small hits will deal surface damage that regenerates quickly after a fight. Hard hits, or getting hit too much, takes away your maximum health, permanently weakening you until you use items.

While this idea might work in single player to penalize sloppy fighting and to make fights more challegning, it isn’t the same in a multiplayer game, where your skills are always going to be challenged.