Constantly getting bubbled

• A.k.a. trying to use footwork in close combat but getting stuck in invisible walls surrounding my enemies. There is nothing more frustrating as missing an enemy at point blank only because he has his back turned to you!

The whole collision bubble thing is like having added just another faulty hitbox. Speaking of faulty hitboxes: You can avoid some obstacles like poles etc. by facehugging them because your arms don’t have a hitbox. This way your attacks (most of the time slashes) go right through.

Proposed solutions:

• get rid of the bubble (!!!)
    • add hitboxes to the attackers arms (canceling attacks if they hit something) OR
    • make it possible to parry an attack during windup (this one would probably screw up weapon balance)

• I quite dislike the bubble myself and was just thinking about it yesterday while in-game (thinking = cursing out in frustration). But! I understand its purpose. And I think its original intent was good.

I think it needs to be tweaked. Perhaps reduced by 1/3 or so?? Also, as Shara points out in one of his videos: Why is it enabled BEHIND someone? It makes it practically impossible to hit people from behind with short weapons (and nearly impossible to use fists). Ever since the bubble was added, fist fights have become quite unsatisfying.

• @Evil:

• add hitboxes to the attackers arms

I think this is the most reasonable suggestion there is. Why would their arms not have hitboxes? I mean, we can see they have arms… right? It doesn’t make any sense. I get that they’re not going for extreme realism but this isn’t really even a matter of realism anymore. They have arms. But they don’t?

• Since day one of the bubble patch I have been complaining that it was a horrible idea to fix a valid tactic aka face hugging by changing a game mechanic. I have cut my playing time down to about an hour or so a day now because of the bubble bullshit, getting stuck, frozen, bubble jump frozen and on and on. I cannot tell you how many failed hit detections I have because of it. No one thinks this is a good idea by any means. I would rather be face hug spammed any day than this bullshit. It is coming to the point where the game isnt any fun if all I am doing is yelling at the screen. The bubble needs to go back to the original default size. Not reduced by any measure but to the default.

FIX THE DAMN BUBBLE!

• The only reason I think increased enemy collision or “the bubble” was implemented is because of certain weapon’s alt swing attacks being more difficult to parry than they should’ve been. Difficult but not impossible, many players could adapt to these attacks and simply do what the tutorial tells you to do which is look at the tip of the weapon when you parry.
    The biggest offenders being the hatchet, norse sword and broadsword.
    Instead of adjusting the attack’s tracers I think they lazily decided to slap on some more enemy collision and call it a day.
    In Deadliest Warrior they gave tracers a complete overhaul, I don’t understand why they cannot tweak the offending weapon’s attacks to fix this issue and remove the bubble.

I don’t expect any positive changes being made to Chivalry Medieval Warfare for a long time or even at all.
    If they want DW to sell or have any amount of player retention they are going to need to be working on that quite hard.

• The bubble was implemented to prevent face hugging spammers and that some weapons would begin their attacks inside of bodies. But mostly because of the players inability to learn simple tactics to combat face hugging. They whined and bitched about it and the bubble was increased. Stupid choice in nerfing a tactic by changing a major game mechanic instead of fixing the parry system. This is where a holdable parry or an increase is strafe speed would have been the better fix. The bugs and side effects from the bubble are far worse than getting face hugged.

• @Retsnom:

The bugs and side effects from the bubble are far worse than getting face hugged.

+1

• so they do a emergency patch to fix the rank bug but still no love for a bubble fix. How hard could this be? Should just be a player model setting right? One number change?

• man, and then there’s the effects the bubble has on blocking. Really annoying when you get a guy blocking attacks at his back or more generally blocking when you shouldn’t, or a shield (get ready for this) blocking more than it should

EDIT: THERE’S TOO MUCH BLOCKING IN DUELS

• OP/ why have you re-birthed your old thread, couldn’t you just bump the old one?
    The game has been better since the bubble was introduced.
    The only problem i have experienced that i attribute to the bubble is that i (rarely) get trapped on my targets face when i do a leap attack at them and i am then unable to get off their face.

@5hassay:
    parries and shield blocks from the back existed before the bubble. There has been no change there.

• @giantyak:

The game has been worse since the bubble was introduced.
    It has made shorter weapons even less effective and has completely fucked over my favorite pastime, fisting people.

It didn’t solve the “issue” of facehugging which was the intent.
    Its still a viable tactic like it always was, people just need to learn how to avoid getting into that situation.
    But people don’t like to learn that’s too hard.

opinons

• yeah its kinda funny they chose to ruin the game instead of just add more parry time huh Retsnom,
    the bubble is def one of the most game ruining glitches still to date.

i guess all those idiots who whined and got the games nerfed till broken should of learned to kick the face huggers back or duck their swing, oh wait that would require hard work and dedication and learning somthing new ewwwwww!
    sadly thats the new internet baby booms mentality, you cant even mark their tests in red anymore at school, its just pathetic really.

i have figured a way to practically eliminat face hugging as well by making the players lunge forward when attacking through some fine mod tuning on my server, thus increasing your attack distances drastically making the need to face hug practically useless.

it is is annoying the stuff we get stuck on in this game, it happens constantly, its about as dumb as the flinch is at ruining the game fluidity or any chance of smooth combat or fighting 4 people at once, and unless the bubble is fixed one day this game will always remain beta quality with that bug in it unfortunetly :(

• @giantyak:

OP/ why have you re-birthed your old thread, couldn’t you just bump the old one?
    The only problem i have experienced that i attribute to the bubble is that i (rarely) get trapped on my targets face when i do a leap attack at them and i am then unable to get off their face.

@5hassay:
    parries and shield blocks from the back existed before the bubble. There has been no change there.

Um please explain to us how the game is better after the bubble. I have listed the numerous side effects attributed to the bubble patch, please don’t make me repost them but I will if you are that clueless. The fact that at least 50%+ of clans that existed prior to the patch are now long gone, most veterans have given up playing because of game breaking patches really ought to be an eye opener.

So please, again enlighten us on how the game is better……
    :hopel:

• The amusing part about The Bubble. I find it actually makes it harder and more ‘spammy’ to parry a dagger.

For example, I find the best way to smash a facehugger/dagger user is to rush in there and parry that first dagger attack and riposte. Now because of the bubble you can get in close to their dagger to parry it, but the bubble bounces you/them and they fail to connect with their dagger, making your parry miss. This can happen several times in a row, it is stupid.

So the bubble actually makes it harder for both the attacker and the defender. It is a fail mechanic and needs to be removed.

• Problem with that is that it favours the attacker with the dagger over the defender. As the combo of the dagger, or just how fast you can attack with it, is faster than the recovery on parry.

• @giantyak:

OP/ why have you re-birthed your old thread, couldn’t you just bump the old one?

I am no necromancer and cannot rely on unholy magic.
    @giantyak:

When the bubble was introduced some parts of the game were improved. As I wrote elsewhere the overall progress was positive. But the game is definitely worse in all bubble-related interactions.

Some of those:

• fighting short weapons - the bubble acts as random-miss feature (as Toll already mentioned)
    • backstabbing moving enemies with short weapons results in a miss 90% of the time
    • the bounce-on-your-head (an issue on its own) radius is increased
    • players get stuck mid-air
    • using your bubble you can create channels where allies can pass freely but enemies are blocked
    • its ridiculously easy to get enemies stuck between teammates and walls and impossible to escape once surrounded
    • as short weapons fail in reliably hit in close distance polearm lookdown overheads got (slightly) more effective (on average)

• It’s been suggested before, where they turn the bubble into a cone, so it reduces face hugging like originally intended, allows better movement past peoples side, hits from behind are much easier now with shorter ranged weapons etc.

[attachment=0:2msczbek]Untitled.png[/attachment:2msczbek]

• Correct me if I am wrong but I thought the collusion bubble was indeed a rectangle box. Is it even possible to create and control the shape of the bubble? If so I believe it would be beneficial to keep the polygons very low.

• @Retsnom:

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought the collusion bubble was indeed a rectangle box. Is it even possible to create and control the shape of the bubble? If so I believe it would be beneficial to keep the polygons very low.

Well that would explain why it can be so difficult to squeeze past people. But if it really is a square that just makes the implementation of the bubble fucking dumb if you’ve got edges on a collision box, of course this is going to make the game more clunky than before if it takes a fucking contortionist to make your way past someone’s flank.

• Perhaps if instead of a bubble the parry sweet spot on a weapon would slide more towards the handle of the weapon depending on the distance between attacker and parrier ?