Fix Gun Designs: Pistol Spam / Meatshotting Shotgun Blunder

• Lemon pls
    I could not give more of a fuck about the deets on this shit

if you can’t find a way to make this skill based you’re going to be writing all that in the Blunders obituary

Also the fuck?
    @lemonater47:

Te blunderbuss is more scary than dangerous.

did you miss the part where I mentioned it can one shot every single class?
    because it can

you know those un-killable test dummies in Training?
    I KILLED THEM
    their heads are gone

• @lemonater47:

Its there to tickle people at long range and to blow people to the moon at close range.

Yes while you may hit people at range it deals very little damage. 25 per pellet. And that’s before the damage resistance everyone has. 18 damage against a spartan in the chest. 5 against his shield. Viking, samurai and knight all have better armour. Against them its even less.

Blunderbuss fires 8 pellets per shot. Despite people’s claims it fires as many as 15.

In a couple of alpha builds you could parry with the blunderbuss. It lead to unblockable instakill ripostes.

There are some smart cookies that wait till you get close then fire. Trade off is you either hit full blow or miss completely at that range. And if you miss you are screwed.

Even then its not the smartest thing to do against someone with a shield. Against a spartan it deals a grand total of 40 damage. After that they get a free hit on you. And are better suited to melee. Pirates die in 2-3 hits depending on what weapon the spartan is using. And you have been hit once already.

Viking and knight shields I’d imagine against them even less damage. I’m guessing 4 against the Viking and 2 against the knight.

Blunder buss seems to scare people off in mass charges against a mass group of pirates. You charge fowards shields raised and often half you team has abandoned you. Meaning less targets for the pirates to shoot and the remainder of the charge die. And then everyone thinks pirates are OP.

The problem is people are pussies. Some loud bangs a big flinch and 10 health knocked off them and they run for cover. When they do that their shields are down too do they take full damage from projectiles.

The blunderbuss always had a spread it was always a shotgun. Its only use was as a shotgun. The barrel is flared and too wide to fire a single shot effectively.

Te blunderbuss is more scary than dangerous. People gotta grow some balls and charge down those pirates shields raised.

Hate to say it but you obviously are a player who uses the blunderbuss and finds it skillful.

I do not understand how anyone can sit here and say hell any of the pirate guns are remotely balanced. As a Spartan (the class I pretty much always play unless its a class v class of some other sorts) it makes literally no sense why we have a minimal chance against a pirate. You proposed we put our shields up and run, here is the problem with that…

Despite our shield being up, your hit still counts. Does it do less damage? Sure which is fucking retarded. Why we don’t block the little flintlock/blunder bullets is beyond me. After we’re hit we are knocked back and thrown out of our block. Before we can make a charge forward here comes another shot from your shit to hit us. By this time you’ve reloaded and will probably hit again.

Lets say we do manage to make it to you. Our chances are still slim. You sit there at full health as we are now half if not below it. At this point, any old player who decides to LMB spam can win. You go into that fight as the pirate knowing you have some health ground to give. Knowing you can trade hits.

How and the hell are they fair? Hell, think of the classes with NO shields.

• @BB:

Lemon pls
    I could not give more of a fuck about the deets on this shit

if you can’t find a way to make this skill based you’re going to be writing all that in the Blunders obituary

Also the fuck?
    @lemonater47:

Te blunderbuss is more scary than dangerous.

did you miss the part where I mentioned it can one shot every single class?
    because it can

you know those un-killable test dummies in Training?
    I KILLED THEM
    their heads are gone

Yes I know it can but did you read the part where I said shield? Takes 3 point blank shots.

And its people with shields who are running away.

Also large numbers without shields work. Some of you will die but they can’t kill all of you. Pirates die in 1-3 hits from things the other classes have.

Competing play right? Communication. Group up charge forward no hesitation with any class other than the ninja and you will be victorious.

• ranged should be harder in general

• This weapon…… Why would they implement something which gives a sure hit, and does this amount of dmg? Only way to fix this is reduce dmg by like 50%, or make it very inaccurate.

Also it should definitely not shoot through shields, I mean COME ON

I can see how kids would want to buy a game where they get to be pirates, and shoot guns at knights without being able to miss, but in the long run this will hurt the playerbase more than it does good.

PIRATES MAKES KONGEN ANGRY

• @lemonater47:

And if you miss you are screwed.

Pretty hard to miss with that thing. Unless you don’t have hands, or the purpose of the crosshair is a profound mystery that continues to elude you.

@lemonater47:

Also large numbers without shields work.

Exactly. Just have more people on your team. L2P etc. etc.

• ok i played with the blunderbuss for like 5 mins

i laughed really hard at how ridiculously easy it was to get free damage + knockback, literal point and click
    playing ranged in this game is such an awful joke it’s quite hilarious

• @kwazi:

ok i played with the blunderbuss for like 5 mins

i laughed really hard at how ridiculously easy it was to get free damage + knockback, literal point and click

Yes the damage ain’t much at long range. Have you been on the other end of one? You know its effective range is short.

Ever run at pirates? You’d be surprised at how many do actually miss you with a bloody blunderbuss when you are almost in range with your melee weapon. Its hilarious. I thinks its the 0.5 second delay before the main charge actually goes off and fires properly. Also the fact at close range there is pretty much no spread and its like trying to fire the pistole at someone. I personally don’t play pirate much in groups. The groups are all on LTS. But I play as other warriors.

Don’t avoid the pirates. If you try and run away from them your gonna get shot too.

Its even possible as the shieldless samurai. You lose more men on the initial charge but if you hold your course no hesitation and you equal there numbers thereabouts your team will make contact.

Yes its easy to deal damage with the blunderbuss. The loud noise and the big flinch it looks like you do tons of damage. You really aren’t.

Kills are another matter.

Go shoot a knight with a shield point blank and you will still have the disadvantage. Even with a spartan.

• i suggested in closed beta to remove the blunderbuss because of how horrible the concept is design wise

• @lemonater47:

@kwazi:

ok i played with the blunderbuss for like 5 mins

Yes the damage ain’t much at long range. Have you been on the other end of one? You know its effective range is short.

Ever run at pirates? You’d be surprised at how many do actually miss you with a bloody blunderbuss when you are almost in range with your melee weapon. Its hilarious. I thinks its the 0.5 second delay before the main charge actually goes off and fires properly. Also the fact at close range there is pretty much no spread and its like trying to fire the pistole at someone. I personally don’t play pirate much in groups. The groups are all on LTS. But I play as other warriors.

Don’t avoid the pirates. If you try and run away from them your gonna get shot too.

Its even possible as the shieldless samurai. You lose more men on the initial charge but if you hold your course no hesitation and you equal there numbers thereabouts your team will make contact.

Yes its easy to deal damage with the blunderbuss. The loud noise and the big flinch it looks like you do tons of damage. You really aren’t.

Kills are another matter.

Go shoot a knight with a shield point blank and you will still have the disadvantage. Even with a spartan.

Youre making a lot of assumptions, like discounting the ability to perform well in melee as a pirate.

• Pirates can hold their own in 1v1 melee combat. But they aren’t that great in group fights.

• Well this is odd, for one I agree with BB.

• The skill in using the blunderbuss lies in surviving after firing it. If you’re close enough to do good damage with it, you’re close enough to be retaliated against almost immediately. But aside from that, I don’t see how you’re supposed to make a shotgun harder to fire. Maybe if they had (I forget what its called) the thing like in Red Orchestra and ArmA, where aiming the gun is slightly independent from where you’re looking, and they removed the crosshair for it.

• Blunderbuss has been changed significantly this patch.

Prior Blunderbuss was doing 25 damage at 8 pellets with a relatively tight spread. It was marginally possible to gib people at mid range with the thing. I brought up what awful design this was for a melee focused game and we changed it; now it’s more of an area damage focused weapon.

Its initial damage is actually relatively high now at 50 damage, and it fires 10 pellets - the spread is also considerably wider. However, multiple pellets hitting the same player now have significantly diminished damage beyond the first, dealing only 10 damage each for a maximum of 140 single target damage at absolute point blank range. So the Blunderbuss is capable of doing up to 500 damage, but only if you hit 10 players with it by some miracle.

Think of it like a fire pot/flaming rum - those aren’t exactly difficult to aim either, and they’re extremely effective against groups of enemies (perhaps moreso than the blunderbuss because it does a set amount of damage even against the heavily armored classes). Against pirates with blunderbusses you want to spread out. The Pistole can fire much faster than the Blunderbuss and deals 105 damage with far greater accuracy. Blunderbuss only out-damages the Pistole when it’s used correctly.

• @El:

The skill in using the blunderbuss lies in surviving after firing it. If you’re close enough to do good damage with it, you’re close enough to be retaliated against almost immediately. But aside from that, I don’t see how you’re supposed to make a shotgun harder to fire. Maybe if they had (I forget what its called) the thing like in Red Orchestra and ArmA, where aiming the gun is slightly independent from where you’re looking, and they removed the crosshair for it.

Problem is the first person animation doesn’t put the gun in the right place for aiming without a crosshair. Crosshair is almost meaningless for the blunderbuss anyway. Its a bloody shotgun. 8 pellets. People will just stick a dot in their screen. And then some will have an advantage an others not rather than everyone being equal.

All they can really do is increase the reload time.

What the real problem is are the pussies on your team. Today I’m with all the Spartans and I yell out to charge the pirates. And I’m the only one who charges. And like always I reach the pirates. I’m 2 metres away from one who’s reloading and get killed by the guy behind him 7th shot that hit me killed me. And the Spartans on my team decide to hunker down and crouch. And they all said that my idea was stupid. Tell me is all running at those shooting you shields raised more stupid than staying in one place shields raised getting shot at? They eventually got shot enough to move but the wrong way so their shields weren’t protecting them. They mostly died.
    Then the 3rd team of out 3 team LTS the samurai charge head on into the pirates from a while away. These guys have no shields. And these guys are the ones with enough balls to charge into the pirates. They lost 3 samurai on the charge but the remaining 9 of them cut down the 11 pirates only losing one more samurai. It ten Spartans were too pussy to charge even with shields.
    So next game I told the Spartans to give it ago. This time 2 more joined me and this time we killed 3 pirates. It was 3 against 11 and we killed three of them. Only 2 of us got there and I was on low health when I didn’t. The guy who died also got shot by an arrow as we went past the samurai.

The blunderbuss isn’t OP. The problem is people are just planned scared. They don’t charge. The safest thing to do is to all charge together. Its not a stupid plan. It may sound like a stupid plan but by god it works.

And this is with pistoles involved too. More damage.

• this makes the blunder easier to hit, and at 50 damage or more per victim, most pirates stay at least in a 2-3 man group at the minimum, so you’re basically target practicing with a shotgun. Then, the cutlass is a total beast, i tear through people with that thing, group fight or not… and if all the pirates were smart and didn’t reload while they have people charging at them, they can more than hold their own in a group fight, even agianst spartans and samurai or knights.

If they wait long enough to where they are point blank, it’s a simple shot to make sure at least one person dies, you can even hit more than one to stun anyone else around them to switch to secondary. It just doesn’t belong.

and lemon, you are quite possibly the only person that doesn’t disagree with you… i swear you just come into every thread just to argue with people on your shitty points. Just staaaahp

• @SlyGoat:

Blunderbuss has been changed significantly this patch.

Prior Blunderbuss was doing 25 damage at 8 pellets with a relatively tight spread. It was marginally possible to gib people at mid range with the thing. I brought up what awful design this was for a melee focused game and we changed it; now it’s more of an area damage focused weapon.

Its initial damage is actually relatively high now at 50 damage, and it fires 10 pellets - the spread is also considerably wider. However, multiple pellets hitting the same player now have significantly diminished damage beyond the first, dealing only 10 damage each for a maximum of 140 single target damage at absolute point blank range. So the Blunderbuss is capable of doing up to 500 damage, but only if you hit 10 players with it by some miracle.

Think of it like a fire pot/flaming rum - those aren’t exactly difficult to aim either, and they’re extremely effective against groups of enemies (perhaps moreso than the blunderbuss because it does a set amount of damage even against the heavily armored classes). Against pirates with blunderbusses you want to spread out. The Pistole can fire much faster than the Blunderbuss and deals 105 damage with far greater accuracy. Blunderbuss only out-damages the Pistole when it’s used correctly.

Wait So you buffed the thing at long range.

Fine how it was. Increase the spread and that was all you had to do.

You now made it harder to close down pirates in large groups.

• @lemonater47:

Yes I know it can but did you read the part where I said shield? Takes 3 point blank shots.

Shields are hysterically easy to get around with the blunderbuss. Hell, a technique I’ve used to great effect is to let them charge up to me with shield raised, jump and just fire in the general direction down over their shield, for an instant headshot. The spread guarantees a lot of the scrap shit it fires is going to hit more than just the shield, without having to be accurate. I have done this many times without failure. If they aren’t one shot killed, they get knocked back so I draw my weapon and stab them once.

The problems I have with this weapon:
    1. You barely have to aim it. It hits in a fairly sizable area and does significant, cannot be overlooked, damage.

2. It can one shot all classes, and the spread guarantees that it will hit both the torso AND head. I have infrequently seen anyone survive a short range blast from my blunderbuss. You might argue that’s the purpose of the blunderbuss, and you could just run in circles to evade the blast. Look at point 3 about firing the weapon.
    Additionally, when I do one shot someone with a torso / headshot mix (you can tell when the head explodes), it shows up as a non-headshot in the kill feed but will still take them down from 100% hp, and then they complain about one shot kills without a headshot.

3. You can fucking drag shoot with it. Same with the pistole, but it’s even more noticeable on this gun where it doesn’t require the accuracy of a pistole. So I start my shot as I’m mousing over the target, he suddenly changes direction, and I have time to correct myself and still hit him full on.

It takes everything that is wrong with having a ranged weapon with the damage output of a heavy crossbow, and puts it into a short range blaster that requires little aim for maximum effect. At least you have to aim the crossbow, and you can’t drag shoot with it.

• @Humber:

Pretty hard to miss with that thing. Unless you don’t have hands, or the purpose of the crosshair is a profound mystery that continues to elude you.

My co-workers are wondering why I just laughed out loud. :D :D :D

• @SlyGoat:

Blunderbuss has been changed significantly this patch.

you need to change it more since it’s still a shitty pile of no skill mechanic

@SlyGoat:

Think of it like a fire pot/flaming rum

firepot takes more skill to use than this shit

And listen to Gauntlet
    he actually plays Pirate
    @Gauntlet:

@lemonater47:

Shields are hysterically easy to get around with the blunderbuss. Hell, a technique I’ve used to great effect is to let them charge up to me with shield raised, jump and just fire in the general direction down over their shield, for an instant headshot. The spread guarantees a lot of the scrap shit it fires is going to hit more than just the shield, without having to be accurate. I have done this many times without failure. If they aren’t one shot killed, they get knocked back so I draw my weapon and stab them once.

The problems I have with this weapon:
    1. You barely have to aim it. It hits in a fairly sizable area and does significant, cannot be overlooked, damage.

2. It can one shot all classes, and the spread guarantees that it will hit both the torso AND head. I have infrequently seen anyone survive a short range blast from my blunderbuss. You might argue that’s the purpose of the blunderbuss, and you could just run in circles to evade the blast. Look at point 3 about firing the weapon.
    Additionally, when I do one shot someone with a torso / headshot mix (you can tell when the head explodes), it shows up as a non-headshot in the kill feed but will still take them down from 100% hp, and then they complain about one shot kills without a headshot.

3. You can fucking drag shoot with it. Same with the pistole, but it’s even more noticeable on this gun where it doesn’t require the accuracy of a pistole. So I start my shot as I’m mousing over the target, he suddenly changes direction, and I have time to correct myself and still hit him full on.

It takes everything that is wrong with having a ranged weapon with the damage output of a heavy crossbow, and puts it into a short range blaster that requires little aim for maximum effect. At least you have to aim the crossbow, and you can’t drag shoot with it.