A Shinobi's thoughts on Classes [LONG]

• It’s worth noting I’m having a great time with DW, and really have enjoyed this expansion greatly all things aside. Beta is Beta. But what I love about chivalry is still very present. Thanks TB for the fun!

Knight:
    The knight feels decent enough, familiar from MW, but the limitation on the class is what I
    personally think makes the knight somewhat boring.
    I think it’s cool that the Halberd is now in the hands of the knight, but at the same time, everything else the knight are very easy to pass up on.

They have very obvious builds atm, that I think negate what should be the most versatile, approachable and familiar class of the bunch. Give the knight access to more 1handers from MW, I personally want flail now what we have Heater shield. And that’s the last point about knights… Forcing a knight to miss a secondary weapon option to choose a shield is really difficult to understand considering that Vikings and Spartans get shield by default. Why can’t the knights not just have the shield on their back? Being able to switch to a defensive posture at any time seems useful.
    They can’t throw em, and they can’t combo-bash attack with them, so I don’t think the option would greatly hinder the game.

I also think ranged options should be primary selection only, so if you choose an Xbow, you clearly advocate your ‘ranged’ role. Rather than a hybrid scenario, which is often too good to pass up on right now.

Ninja:
    This is the class that I play the most, the one most dear to my heart. And I quite like what TB has done with them. I myself can be quite powerful If I play correctly, but the ninja’s weakness have little to do with their armor or health.
    The Metsubushi, and the Smoke are 2 different objects that essentially do the same thing in different ways. When you use them, you’re essentially trying to achieve the same result, which is confusion.
    I know that people could say that the smoke is used to cover your retreat or advance, that’s how i use it, but - It is really not all that effective in it’s current state.
    An idea for fixing this, would be to combine the two tools into one, mechanically. The smoke bomb, now when thrown, does it’s normal effect–BUT–, to those that enter it/hit it, are affected by vision impairment which is given by the metsu mechanic we’re already familiar with(no stun).
    So the new smoke would have no stamina drain, but be pure visual impairment.
    Now, the metsu, I think should be given a more combat role.
    Give it the stun back, to simulate that moment where they’re forced to blink from the haze, keep it’s current stamina drain, and add decals on the floor where the powder falls to clearly mark the area that will effect the stam drain.

• I’d like to have a more visible indication of where my shurikens flew. Glow effect?
    • I think ninja should always be able to hear other ninjas footsteps, effectively meaning the only person a ninja can get an easy jump on is one NOT trained in the stealth art. I think it might make ninja fights a little bit more of a face off.
    • Slight speed increase, to give hit and run tactics more of a viability. (or maybe simply no chase mechanic trigger on ninja?)
    • Slight jump increase.
      Ninja roll currently works pretty well, but I have some inconsistency. Back/forward rolls I would love to see have actual travel to them. Where the ninja leaps back, or leaps forward and rolls. The current roll doesn’t appear to be for movement, but just evasion, I’d like to see both.

Samurai:
    I don’t have much to chime in on the Samurai, as I find them to be quite enjoyable and not too tough to take down either, no matter the class.

Somethings that I think would be interesting though, would be an implementation of 1h/2h their applicable swords. (Katana/Wakizashi)
    In the same way I knight can wield his longsword with 1h, or 2hs, I think it wouldn’t hurt too much to have that be doable for the samurai as well. I only say this because I am familiar with Miyamoto Musashi’s ‘two heavens’ style, which the user wields his Katana with 1 hand. and while Musashi could be considered an ‘unorthodox’ Samurai for his time… he’s also arguably the greatest swordsmen known.
    (don’t cite me on that).
    Also, as with the ranged selection for Knights, I think ranged weapons should be primary only. As to clearly separate on the battlefield the role of the warrior.
    Even though Samurai could just wield a Katana, this is really to avoid people using massive 1handers, and a lithe ranged weapon at the same time.

Pirate:
    I don’t play them that much, but I would like to see more bladed weapons for them.
    More swords would be welcomed, a rapier for example…

I also think it would be neat, giving a nod to realism, for pistols users rather than having to reload their weapons to instead come with 5 or 6 pistols strapped to their character, that they blast, toss aside (can also throw) and retrieve the next for a quicker succession of blasts. Much like real pirates supposedly did it.
    I think it would make the pistols users a bit more focused, in knowing that they have the ability to blast shots faster, but have limited shots before they must take to the blade.
    And leaving the blunderbuss more or less unchanged… you’d have 2 separate styles of pirates that are a bit more clear, than they are now.

Viking:
    I like the viking. No real suggestions other than I’d like to see more implied to their berserking role… Maybe make the first swing free? or maybe the 2nd swing in the combo free, all else after draining stamina…
    I’m not sure of it’s wide effects, but I do think it would encourage Vikings to go a little bit more offensive without having to slow down. Which is the point right?
    Also, make thrown shields go straight to the back, so the player has to physically switch to having it out again, even if he has only a one hander.
    Similar to the way you can toggle the shield with 3, in MW. Same deal really.

Spartan:
    I like the spartan, at the moment feels very well rounded.
    I don’t think they really need a dedicated ranged option, because if they just stack javelin– They’ve got it right there…
    The issues with spartan don’t come from the class, but more the lack of player interest in emulating actual, useful spartan tactics.

I initially wanted to write a post that was centered at addressing multiple portions of the game, but once I was done writing what I thought about the classes… I figured I’d written enough. But as I have a lot of ideas, I’ll write another post aimed at another one area in particular.

EDIT: Double post. One of the mods can delete this thread, I submitted this but it took so long to be approved I thought I did something incorrect. My repost was accepted, and now this has also been put through. terminate.

• Even it is a double, i still want to say that i completly agree with you on this!

• The problem with giving Ninja a speed increase, is that other classes won’t be able to catch up with him when the chase mechanic activates

• wow. i read through this all and i have to completely agree with every word of it.

It doesn’t make sense that knights, the supposed tank class, have to give up a weapon to take a shield that spartans get for free. The shield should be on their back when they use a 2h weapon (and it should protect them from strikes to the rear when it’s there.

For a limitation, i’d say the knight should be able to take either two 2-handed weapons, OR a 2-handed weapon, plus a one-handed weapon AND a shield. You shouldn’t get a shield if you pick halberd and crossbow, not even on your back.

RE: Ranged weapons as primary: i kind of agree, although i think the above would be a reasonable way to balance that. However in any case i’d still like to see the samurai keep their bow as secondary, because it’s thematically correct.

The katana in one hand sounds like a great idea. there would need to be some tradeoff for doing this though (less impact/damage, and lose a lot more stamina when blocking?), but you’d gain the ability to strike more rapidly. This would be a much needed buff for the katana because currently nobody ever takes it while the nodachi is sitting there.

other than that, everything you said is excellent and it should definitely be implemented

• Appreciate your words Nanako, thank you.

@BB:

The problem with giving Ninja a speed increase, is that other classes won’t be able to catch up with him when the chase mechanic activates

One of the other suggestions that I had on the side of the speed buff was to simply disable the chase mechanic. Do you think that would be a suitable enough buff?
    I think it could… but, truthfully the chase mechanic works well for closing large distances, 10m or more.

If the ninja is in and out melee combat, then runs off within 5m of an opponent, how long before that chase mechanic kicks into effect? In otherwords, does the chase mechanic even apply when moving around in circles, or in a smaller area?

Right now I can’t really ‘hit and run’, more like ‘hit and dance out of weapon range’… Until there is a good moment to get away.

Malev