First Patch Regarding Ninja

• When I heard that the stun was getting removed from the ninja powder, I immediately knew that it would be completely detrimental to the class, and so far it looks like I was right.

With the stun in the game, ninja players stood a fighting chance against Samurai and Knights. It was still difficult to kill them (except for swingspam players), but it provided a chance. The reason for that is obvious: It usually provides a free hit. For a ninja, that means almost leveling the odds against tanky classes, especially samurai and knight. The only class which suffered to some extent because of the powder were pirates. Because they were already squishy like ninjas, the stun/free hit certainly put the odds on the side of the ninja.

However, with the stun removed, the cons now very heavily outweigh the pros. Removing the stun probably balanced the ninja vs. pirate matchup. However, every other matchup has been obliterated.
    The ninja roll is not sufficient to skip around and outplay any skilled samurai, viking, spartan or knight player. If you’re up against a noobie, you can usually fake him out with just the roll in your arsenal and land a kill. Against a skilled player, however, the roll is not sufficient at all. As everyone knows, you can alter the trajectory of a weapon swing a great deal, especially large radius, slower two-handers.

Imagine a samurai player using nodachi versus any ninja. At present, the roll is practically only as good as a block. If the samurai player turns 90-180 degrees during his swing in the direction the ninja rolls, he’s still likely to land the hit anyway. Because two-handed swings take a large, slow path, the samurai player either lands a hit early in the swing (before the roll animation initiates) or late in the swing (at the end of the roll). There are obviously exceptions, as there’s always a chance you make a frame-perfect roll and put yourself in a great position to land a hit. Nonetheless, even with 1-2 hits up on a samurai or knight, the ninja player still isn’t in great shape and has a lot of work still to do.

TL;DR: The Ninja class is nearly (not entirely) obsolete because of the stun loss. With the current patch, they are only well-suited to kill pirates. Every other matchup as been thrown out of whack, as the stun was integral to killing any decent samurai/knight/spartan/viking player. If you are going to keep the stun out of the game, a substantial buff in damage and/or health is appropriate to bring the ninja class back to a competitive level.

I would love to hear feedback from other ninja players and how they are faring against the armored classes.

-DogMa

• ninjas are cool and stuff, theyre basically a nerfed version of the former mma. i like their dodging, their weapons though i am missing Nunchakus. metsubish and smoke pot are atm just too similiar in their function, and not good enough. metusbishi should add even more from that confusion effect and smoke pots should have a bigger aoe or like ive read here somewhere else a kind of auto mechanism that theyll get dropped if u are below a certain amount of health.

if you play good, you will earn good scores with a ninja but generally speaking that class is definitely much weaker than other classes since dw seems more to develop around hittrading and ninjas are just very bad at that.

• I’ve been able to kick the majority of the asses I’ve faced as a Ninja.
    The class may need a little tweaking, but I definitively don’t think you ever had to rely on the stun to play well.

• I use the ninja really often right now. I love playing this class!

Right now, the ninja lacks some things…mostly the metsubishi, but the most important: Roll and speed.
    Roll is sometimes useful but most of the time it actually sucks because when an enemy has a long spear (like a spartan) or other classes with long swords will even take you down while performing the roll. This is really annoying thus it actually is almost useless to use. (Only when ninja vs ninja).
    Furthermore the ninja also needs to jump higher as he do now in the beta. It’s a ninja so maybe something like double jump? or jump higher than other classes?
    I kinda like the damages it gives from the weapons the ninja has, maybe i think they need a slightly bit more speed or slightly more reach.

Other than that, i love the ninja and i even play it even if it’s the weakest class right now.

I hope they’ll buff the ninja class up! And i can’t wait to see how it will become on full release!

• I had an idea while playing the beta, what do you guys think of this? Give the Ninja the jumpkick from chivalry, but restrict it to Ninja. The jumpkick is a great move in chiv and useful a lot, and it makes perfect sense that a ninja would get it while a Viking or a Spartan wouldn’t. It gives the class more flavor and variety, without needing to re-introduce the stun effect or buff stats.

• Actually, I love fighting samurai 1 on 1. Their weapons 2hit you like everyone else and you end up with a definitive speed advantage. Plus they tend to be cowardly and make use of the deceptive range of their weapons, so it’s pretty easy to just throw shuriken in their face and dodge them. No shields, so no passive shuriken immunity.

Really, shuriken make a huge difference against armored opponents. A single hit can almost cancel out their armor, definitely so if it’s in the head. Plus if I miss I can usually get myself over to where it landed and try again.

Metsubishi are pretty low on the scale for me though. I only get two, I can’t reuse them, and they only go a little further than my sword can. The stamina drain is nice, but since the opponent is just going to back out of it and force you to run through the stamina cloud it’s usually a moot point or a hindrance. In theory it can still be a free hit, as you can always throw it and attack their legs, but the stamina drain prevents you from following up on that hit very well.

As for the roll, it’s more like a crutch. One should try to outmaneuver and circle their opponent just using WASD and blocks, only using rolls to disrupt that meta or when panicked. They’re a godsend in group fighting, too. Forwards roll is useless though, and being unable to move if you attack after a roll is pretty crappy though not quite crippling.

• @IP:

Actually, I love fighting samurai 1 on 1. Their weapons 2hit you like everyone else and you end up with a definitive speed advantage. Plus they tend to be cowardly and make use of the deceptive range of their weapons, so it’s pretty easy to just throw shuriken in their face and dodge them. No shields, so no passive shuriken immunity.

Really, shuriken make a huge difference against armored opponents. A single hit can almost cancel out their armor, definitely so if it’s in the head. Plus if I miss I can usually get myself over to where it landed and try again.

Metsubishi are pretty low on the scale for me though. I only get two, I can’t reuse them, and they only go a little further than my sword can. The stamina drain is nice, but since the opponent is just going to back out of it and force you to run through the stamina cloud it’s usually a moot point or a hindrance. In theory it can still be a free hit, as you can always throw it and attack their legs, but the stamina drain prevents you from following up on that hit very well.

As for the roll, it’s more like a crutch. One should try to outmaneuver and circle their opponent just using WASD and blocks, only using rolls to disrupt that meta or when panicked. They’re a godsend in group fighting, too. Forwards roll is useless though, and being unable to move if you attack after a roll is pretty crappy though not quite crippling.

You do realise that Shuriken can be blocked right? with a weapon… right? they are useless against decent players. so yeah. You pick your shuriken and i’ll pick smoke pots for survivability against pirates.
    You will die from almost everyone ( spartan’s spear , Samurai’s bow, Knight’s crossbow, pirate’s gun and shotgun and viking’s throwing weapons and shields wich you can block with your weapon so thats why its “almost” everyone) because for you to kill anyone you have to get close because shuriken are useless. while i will throw a smokepot to close in and if shit goes down i throw smokepot to get the fuck out. ^_^