[Updated]Patch Resetting Configs and SDK CHIV crossover bug.

• Don’t get me wrong, I always look forward to an update hoping that things actually get fixed and optimized. But again all of my config settings and all my ini tweaks to get this game to run semi smoothly on my PC gets wiped and I have to start all over again even though I have READ ONLY on these files…. This really sucks because I don’t play with the default key settings either. So again here I am with the same complaint every patch taking the rest of the night just to get the game to play at decent FPS and with my set up. So if there isn’t any real optimizations or mechanic corrections, again I will be not only disappointed but even more annoyed. But hey we have a new loading animation which I will be deleting and an orange flag at the menu. really glad all the priorities are in place.

Ok now that I have started the tweaking process I have found an issue that appears to be that if you have the SDK installed, the SDK INI settings override CHIV’s INI settings. The example that had me find this out is that I have also have a joystick plugged in. Chiv by default has AllowJoystickInput=0 which is off, 1=on. SO when I hopped in game the world was constantly spinning due to the joystick input. This sent me on a mad chase to find what INI file was responsible for allowing the joystick. Low and behold it was the set of INI files in the SDK config. So it appears that SDK INIs override Chivs INIs while in Chiv.

• It also appears that the SDK audio ini files also overwrites Chivs INI settings. Sorry but this blows because there is no point in tweaking Chiv if the SDK INI settings overwrites the games ini files.

• So does this mean editing the SDK config files is essentially the same as editing the base game’s config? If this is true, would it be possible to direct us to the SDK config files? Because I cannot find them for the life of me, and it’s pretty much essential for me to have access to the ini files so I can enable 120fps framesmoothing.

• The problem only lies IF you have the SDK editor installed which I do. If you only have the game installed it shouldn’t be a problem because you will not have the editor ini files.

• Mod

Moved to the appropriate forum.
    Please post bugs in the Bug Reports forum.

• Mod

Also, in the case of key binds:
    I’ve had mine reset after patch, but I also have coded my key binds into the ‘EnginePlayerInput’ field directly. The key binds all restore once I hit ‘reset settings’ in the options in game.

• @User:

Also, in the case of key binds:
    I’ve had mine reset after patch, but I also have coded my key binds into the ‘EnginePlayerInput’ field directly. The key binds all restore once I hit ‘reset settings’ in the options in game.

I think you are missing the bigger problem. If you have to tweak the game by going into the ini files to make the game function properly with maximum FPS, it will no longer work if you have the SDK installed as well because the SDK config overrides the Chivalry config. Currently my game is not playable.

• @Retsnom:

The problem only lies IF you have the SDK editor installed which I do. If you only have the game installed it shouldn’t be a problem because you will not have the editor ini files.

Doesn’t everybody have the editor installed now?

• Mod

If youre talking about the graphic settings etc being reset than yes, but this has happened on every patch. I personally don’t mind it since i just turn a few options under graphics off and I’m good to go.

I’m not sure why they force this reset on every patch. But I have by now made a backup of my key config INI in case it resets it completely.

Did you try to take off the read only by the file properties? Or editing them with Notepad++ to restore your settings?

• @dudeface:

@Retsnom:

The problem only lies IF you have the SDK editor installed which I do. If you only have the game installed it shouldn’t be a problem because you will not have the editor ini files.

Doesn’t everybody have the editor installed now?

I do not believe so. What the last patch did was the integration of the SDK into the game so the game can run modded versions and custom maps. You would have to download the actual Chivalry: MW SDK editor, which I have done. You have to do this under the Chivalry: MW Beta and select Chiv: MW Editor to run the program.

Now I see lots of potential for errors and cross overs since they supposedly released the Chiv:MW SDK editor. For starters most games that have an SDK actually have it listed under the TOOLS in your library. Chiv has kind of done it backwards.

All I know is that the Chiv:MW Beta (SDK)/Config/ ini settings overrode the Chiv:MW/Config files. This is terribly problematic for several reasons.

I clearly have a potato PC that barely runs Chiv so much so that I have to tweak INI graphic and memory settings to get it to run at a decent FPS. But when I want to run the editor, I want all the settings to be set to max so that I truly know what my maps will actually look like in the editor for other players with lighting, shadows and the like for other players.

• @Retsnom:

I don’t think this is true, because any changes I make to my ini files within My Documents/My Games/Chivalry/…/UDKEngine.ini aren’t reflected in the game (Disabling startup movies, framerate smoothing).

From what I can tell, all of the editor files are within the Chivalry directory on Steam, but I can’t find any equivalent inis for what I’m editing, and no changes are sticking when I launch the game.

• @Lann094:

@Retsnom:

I don’t think this is true, because any changes I make to my ini files within My Documents/My Games/Chivalry/…/UDKEngine.ini aren’t reflected in the game (Disabling startup movies, framerate smoothing).

From what I can tell, all of the editor files are within the Chivalry directory on Steam, but I can’t find any equivalent inis for what I’m editing, and no changes are sticking when I launch the game.

It is not true for you because you do not have the actual Chiv:SDK Editor installed or probably don’t have a Chiv:MW Beta/config This is where I have found that my settings are being overwritten in that config file.

• The editor is part of the patch, but there’s no shortcut to it from steam yet; gotta run the bat file.

I have the editor and naturally, like everyone else, all the ini files as well.

There is no beta channel to subscribe to for MW. What you have is the same as anyone else.

• @dudeface:

The editor is part of the patch, but there’s no shortcut to it from steam yet; gotta run the bat file.

There is. Click Chivalry Medieval Warfare Beta in Steam, new menu opens where I can choose: MW Beta, DW Beta and the 64bit Editor.

And I have the same problem as OP all my chiv settings are wrong after working in the editor.

• @fvonb:

@dudeface:

The editor is part of the patch, but there’s no shortcut to it from steam yet; gotta run the bat file.

There is. Click Chivalry Medieval Warfare Beta in Steam, new menu opens where I can choose: MW Beta, DW Beta and the 64bit Editor.

And I have the same problem as OP all my chiv settings are wrong after working in the editor.

Thank you……
    These two INI files should be completely separate and not have the same effect. The SDK integration is different than the actual Editor. This is what I have been trying to explain. IF you never downloaded the Editor or participated in CMW Beta then you should not have this problem. The patch just integrated SDK modifications to work within your game. That doesn’t mean you actually have the Editor.

• Are we talking about the beta or the live game?
    The SDK patch included the editor. Where else would you get it from? There are no beta/sdk channels to subscribe to on the main Chiv game. I certainly have it installed here.

When does the editor overwrite your ini files? I launched it and messed about and I can see it modified a few, but it didn’t wipe my keybinds or graphics settings. I didn’t launch the game from within the editor though (was playing in viewport).

• @dudeface:

Are we talking about the beta or the live game?
    The SDK patch included the editor. Where else would you get it from? There are no beta/sdk channels to subscribe to on the main Chiv game. I certainly have it installed here.

When does the editor overwrite your ini files? I launched it and messed about and I can see it modified a few, but it didn’t wipe my keybinds or graphics settings. I didn’t launch the game from within the editor though (was playing in viewport).

Did you have the editor when it was beta? If so then the only way you can get to the editor is through the beta. It is the C:MWBeta config INIs that are confilcting. Now it could be that the C:MWBeta game itself is conflicting but as fvonb wrote, he has the exact same issue when playing after leaving the editor.

• Yes I had it. But I run the editor from a bat file in my non-beta Chiv folder. Not sure why you would use the beta? If you launch from the beta client you are launching the wrong editor. I thought the whole point of the SDK patch was to put the SDK on the live game, editor and all. I honestly do not understand what you are talking about.

Do you have the non-beta game without the editor or something? Does anyone?

ANYWAY, I don’t know what the deal is with the ini conflicts. I don’t get a conflict, but that doesn’t mean much.

• Do you have any Beta Config folder? Not C:DWBeta, but C:MWBeta, that is the one that is conflicting. This didnt happen prior to the patch.

• Yes, naturally I have all 3 config folders. I don’t get a conflict after running the beta SDK either though. The only ini files it touched (in the C:MWBeta folder) were
    UDKEditorUserSettings
    UDKEditor
    UDKEngine

None of those settings affect my non-beta C:MW game though. Are you guys saying that you run the editor, and your C:MWBeta ini files override your C:MW settings? Or are you playing with the beta client?
    Why don’t you launch the editor from the non-beta C:MW (using the .bat file)?