An Overview of the Classes and Increased Speed of the Beta

• I don’t often post on forums, mostly because I find that about 60 or so percent of everyone on them is a massive bloody twat. That being said, I feel as if I should share my opinion about the beta, even though there are already about twenty trillion (slight exaggeration) of them on the web. Keep in mind, I’m not a game designer of any sort, and what I say in this is simply from my experience of playing the game, and nothing more. So without further ado, here it is:

Samurai –
    My second least favorite class. I don’t really know what TBS was thinking when they made these guys. A massive variety of weapons, each of which is incredibly powerful, laughable amounts of health, great speed. These guys are just vanguards with more armor. The class that newbies to the game play when they went to do well and feel good about themselves, only to find that hours later they still can’t do well as anything else, and resign themselves to sticking as them for the whole of the time they spend playing.
    What I would do to them? Nerf. Nerf them to heck! But really, these guys need a weakness. A big one. They have weapons for every single instance in the game. Ranged, they have a bow. Close quarters melee? Katana or wakizashi. Mid ranged melee? Yumi, naginata, and nodachi. They don’t have a weak point. The naginata and nodachi in particular are what I think need the biggest work, and they need to have less health. Whether or not they get this nerf is unknown to me at this time.

Spartan -
    For Sparta! Probably my favorite class. I don’t have much to say about them either. I love how you can throw their spear and how effective against pirates and ninjas it is (do not remove the one hit kill of a spear throw on those two), and combining the shield and weapons together to fight is just really, really fun to do. What I would like is a bigger difference in their swords, and the shield has somewhat wonky hit tracers, but compared to the rest of the classes, their problems are minimal.

Viking -
    So much wasted potential! The viking is a perfectly balanced class in my opinion, but I got bored of them so quickly. They just do not have enough unique weapons. Most of theirs are just recycles from Medieval Warfare, and while the ability to throw stuff and duel wield is cool, the novelty wore off quite quickly, especially when you realize that duel wielding isn’t even all that useful.
    Aside from slightly lowering the shield throw damage, I’d give them more weapons to choose from, more unique ones that is. Where is my massive 2 handed viking sword? Once I mastered their two new weapons I ditched them completely. Just not fun enough to reuse weapons I already know the use of perfectly.

Knight -
    Not much to say here. The least played class from what I can see. Having a lot of the Medieval Weapons available is cool, but really, I never bothered with them enough to get a good reading of them. I’d much rather have a new class than one made up of old weapons from a game that I’ve already mastered over 400 hours.

Ninja -
    They just cannot get these guys right. They either make them too weak, or they give them stun eggs and make them too strong. I found them very fun to play as though, but I quite honestly have no idea how to balance them without making them really annoying to fight (ie MAA in a nutshell). I think they should get a backstab bonus (unlike archer it kinda makes sense with them) but as the same time make them even less useful at straight up fights. A lot of people will hate this, but that’s honesty all I can think of for them. I do like how their dodge isn’t a teleport, when it works that is, and they are very fun to play, but I do think TBS needs to come up with something to make them slightly more… standoutish.

Pirates -
    A burger made of a wad of dried cow crap. My least favorite class in this game. I want to jam a blunderbuss up the ass of whoever designed pirates. Literally. You think I’m joking. I’m not. I will make a project out of it. I’ll use forceps and lubricant.
    At least whenever I’m not ripping off great books (go read Jam). But really, I hate these guys. I have a theory that TBS was getting tired of people complaining about archers, and made pirates as a sort of middle finger to all the complainers.
    I rarely fall down to insulting people online and playing into the, “anger driven video gamer” trope, but these guys infuriate me. The blunderbuss at the current state, requires no aiming. With one pirate you can stand maybe one of their shots if you have a shield, but with a firing squad of them patrolling the map, the melee classes have no chance.

Nothing is less fun than being one shot by a pirate during the start of a last team standing match.

I’d vastly increase their load time and give them way less ammo. Make them have to be careful with their shots rather than just spray pellets across the map. They may not be good enough as to be overpowered, but they take all the fun out of so many game modes, which in my opinion is even worse. It’s one thing to have a class that is too good, it’s another to have a class made for nothing other than to ruin the fun of others.

Game Mechanics -
    Everything is faster. Way faster. This isn’t really a bad or good thing, but it did increase the number of times I missed my swings and kinda made the combat fall into lmbing and trading hits. Maybe slow down the characters and weapons a tiny, tiny bit, because right now it’s just absurd… but I can see how some would like this.

So um… yeah. Cue people saying such beautiful statements such as, “Git good scrub”, and “lol nub”. Well, I’ll just wait until the release to make a true judgment. This game is still very fun, and I’m definitely going to keep playing it.

TL;DR

Nerf de samurais and de pirates pleese. And giveme a viking sward that needs tow hadns.

• I agree with the speed the everyone falls back to LMB and you almost never see overheads being used, its really boring and is taking away the great combat of MW.

And pirates are assholes ruining the fun for everyone else.

• @FalseSavi0ur:

I don’t often post on forums, mostly because I find that about 60 or so percent of everyone on them is a massive bloody twat.

Stopped reading right there, probably am a massive bloody twat. ;)

• So much wrong here that I’m definitely gonna be a massive twat to you if I bother responding.

• @Hitom:

So much wrong here that I’m definitely gonna be a massive twat to you if I bother responding.

Actually yeah. You don’t argue over why you think I’m wrong, you just see an opinion that contradicts yours and immediately assume that I am wrong and you are right purely because what I think is different. So yes, you are a massive bloody twat, if you don’t mind me saying.

• @FalseSavi0ur:

@Hitom:

So much wrong here that I’m definitely gonna be a massive twat to you if I bother responding.

Actually yeah. You don’t argue over why you think I’m wrong, you just see an opinion that contradicts yours and immediately assume that I am wrong and you are right purely because what I think is different. So yes, you are a massive bloody twat, if you don’t mind me saying.

That’s a problem everyone has here.

No one knows what an opinion is.

• @FalseSavi0ur:

I don’t often post on forums, mostly because I find that about 60 or so percent of everyone on them is a massive bloody twat. That being said, I feel as if I should share my opinion about the beta, even though there are already about twenty trillion (slight exaggeration) of them on the web. Keep in mind, I’m not a game designer of any sort, and what I say in this is simply from my experience of playing the game, and nothing more. So without further ado, here it is:

Samurai –
    My second least favorite class. I don’t really know what TBS was thinking when they made these guys. A massive variety of weapons, each of which is incredibly powerful, laughable amounts of health, great speed. These guys are just vanguards with more armor. The class that newbies to the game play when they went to do well and feel good about themselves, only to find that hours later they still can’t do well as anything else, and resign themselves to sticking as them for the whole of the time they spend playing.
    What I would do to them? Nerf. Nerf them to heck! But really, these guys need a weakness. A big one. They have weapons for every single instance in the game. Ranged, they have a bow. Close quarters melee? Katana or wakizashi. Mid ranged melee? Yumi, naginata, and nodachi. They don’t have a weak point. The naginata and nodachi in particular are what I think need the biggest work, and they need to have less health. Whether or not they get this nerf is unknown to me at this time.

Spartan -
    For Sparta! Probably my favorite class. I don’t have much to say about them either. I love how you can throw their spear and how effective against pirates and ninjas it is (do not remove the one hit kill of a spear throw on those two), and combining the shield and weapons together to fight is just really, really fun to do. What I would like is a bigger difference in their swords, and the shield has somewhat wonky hit tracers, but compared to the rest of the classes, their problems are minimal.

Viking -
    So much wasted potential! The viking is a perfectly balanced class in my opinion, but I got bored of them so quickly. They just do not have enough unique weapons. Most of theirs are just recycles from Medieval Warfare, and while the ability to throw stuff and duel wield is cool, the novelty wore off quite quickly, especially when you realize that duel wielding isn’t even all that useful.
    Aside from slightly lowering the shield throw damage, I’d give them more weapons to choose from, more unique ones that is. Where is my massive 2 handed viking sword? Once I mastered their two new weapons I ditched them completely. Just not fun enough to reuse weapons I already know the use of perfectly.

Knight -
    Not much to say here. The least played class from what I can see. Having a lot of the Medieval Weapons available is cool, but really, I never bothered with them enough to get a good reading of them. I’d much rather have a new class than one made up of old weapons from a game that I’ve already mastered over 400 hours.

Ninja -
    They just cannot get these guys right. They either make them too weak, or they give them stun eggs and make them too strong. I found them very fun to play as though, but I quite honestly have no idea how to balance them without making them really annoying to fight (ie MAA in a nutshell). I think they should get a backstab bonus (unlike archer it kinda makes sense with them) but as the same time make them even less useful at straight up fights. A lot of people will hate this, but that’s honesty all I can think of for them. I do like how their dodge isn’t a teleport, when it works that is, and they are very fun to play, but I do think TBS needs to come up with something to make them slightly more… standoutish.

Pirates -
    A burger made of a wad of dried cow crap. My least favorite class in this game. I want to jam a blunderbuss up the ass of whoever designed pirates. Literally. You think I’m joking. I’m not. I will make a project out of it. I’ll use forceps and lubricant.
    At least whenever I’m not ripping off great books (go read Jam). But really, I hate these guys. I have a theory that TBS was getting tired of people complaining about archers, and made pirates as a sort of middle finger to all the complainers.
    I rarely fall down to insulting people online and playing into the, “anger driven video gamer” trope, but these guys infuriate me. The blunderbuss at the current state, requires no aiming. With one pirate you can stand maybe one of their shots if you have a shield, but with a firing squad of them patrolling the map, the melee classes have no chance.

Nothing is less fun than being one shot by a pirate during the start of a last team standing match.

I’d vastly increase their load time and give them way less ammo. Make them have to be careful with their shots rather than just spray pellets across the map. They may not be good enough as to be overpowered, but they take all the fun out of so many game modes, which in my opinion is even worse. It’s one thing to have a class that is too good, it’s another to have a class made for nothing other than to ruin the fun of others.

Game Mechanics -
    Everything is faster. Way faster. This isn’t really a bad or good thing, but it did increase the number of times I missed my swings and kinda made the combat fall into lmbing and trading hits. Maybe slow down the characters and weapons a tiny, tiny bit, because right now it’s just absurd… but I can see how some would like this.

So um… yeah. Cue people saying such beautiful statements such as, “Git good scrub”, and “lol nub”. Well, I’ll just wait until the release to make a true judgment. This game is still very fun, and I’m definitely going to keep playing it.

TL;DR

Nerf de samurais and de pirates pleese. And giveme a viking sward that needs tow hadns.

I-I-I… I AGREE WITH SOMEBODY!
    (OK I actually don’t really care one way or the other about the viking 2h sword tbh). However nerf the Samurai please…please please please. The pirates? Yeah I’ll admit their guns are pretty stupidly OP sometimes but I find it second in annoyance to the guy spamming his yari spear and claiming skill. (At least the pirate doesn’t even have the opportunity to claim skill as he’s playing a ranged class in a melee game, the Samurai ohhhhh they make my blood boil). As you said they have, "A massive variety of weapons, each of which is incredibly powerful, laughable amounts of health, great speed. These guys are just vanguards with more armor. The class that newbies to the game play when they went to do well and feel good about themselves, only to find that hours later they still can’t do well as anything else, and resign themselves to sticking as them for the whole of the time they spend playing.

• Why not a nerf to Samurai speed? No one wants to suggest this it seems :P
    Bow is crap atm, two headshots to kill a pirate.

Pirates are your counter to spamurai. How does that make you feel?

• Increase the roll distance for ninjas by a small amount and perhaps increase the damage on their weapons a tiny bit so they don’t have to hit knights and samurai 50000 times to kill them. The backstab idea just sounds irritating.

• @dragonmith:

Why not a nerf to Samurai speed? No one wants to suggest this it seems :P
    Bow is crap atm, two headshots to kill a pirate.

Pirates are your counter to spamurai. How does that make you feel?

Pirates are counter to everything.