Roman Legionnaires!

• They’re cool, add them.

• They would be really similar to spartans: big shields, short throwable spears, one-handed long swords, medium armor. It could be a nice “roman-style” armor for spatan :) So many similar historical warriors would be represented by one class.

• @aurm:

They would be really similar to spartans: big shields, short throwable spears, one-handed long swords, medium armor.

They have much bigger shields, similar to the Knights’ tower shield and their javelins aren’t made for stabbing, just for throwing. And roman swords were very short and most used for stabbing.

It’s not that similar…

• Primary weapons would be Gladius and Spatha. The Gladius is drawn from the right hip rather than the left so it’s easier behind a shield, and the Spatha looks similar to the norse sword. They are rather short stabbing weapons, compared to the “short” swords of the Spartan, the Kopis and Falcata, which are heavy-ended choppers.

Secondary weapons could be the Pugio, which is a rather nice looking dagger, the Pilum, a heavy throwing spear which could disable the enemy’s shield if hit, and the Plumbata, a lead-weighted throwing dart. You get a dozen of these, stored clipped on the back of the shield. It’s also thrown in a rather odd fashion, UP in the air so that they land DOWN on enemies.

The special thing about the Legionary could be that they use their Scutum, the big rectangular shield, very defensively, unlike the Spartan who uses his Hoplon rather offensively with his powerful shield punches in his combos and such. Romans are more about getting up close to the enemy, hide behind the shield and stab their opponent in the mid section with his short blade. Both the Spartan and the Roman would be shield based classes, but the Spartan is more spear based and agressive in his combat style and the Roman is short sword based and defensive in his combat style.

The Roman and his friends would advance towards you with shields raised, only leaving the upper head and shins visable (although they could be more armored than the Spartan, to make even more of a difference.) His speciality would be how fast he can duck in and out from shield cover, and probably have an stamina bonus related to shields. He can come at his enemy with shield raised, let out a quick stab and then raise the shield again real quick.
    He wouldn’t be able to use the shield as a weapon like the Spartan can, but he’s much faster at using the shield bash as in the kick function. I’m thinking the light kick is more of a shield punch with the edge of the shield but doesn’t do much to other shield users, therefore it doesn’t have that cooldown. The heavy kick/bash would though, as it still remains a block breaker.
    Since he’s so shield based, he’d also be an easy target to kick with his shield up. I am thinking something like that, from a hard kick, he would be dazed and not being able to run away or do an attack with his sword, but he would still be able to keep his shield raised. So his enemy has to run around to his side and shank him as he is being dazed.

That’s the ideas I have for him. Very defensive short range shield tank unit with medium armour. Would be very fun to play a team of Legionaries versus a team of Vikings, and pretend they are just germanic tribesmen from the north. Would feel rather historically accurate, all I’m saying (next class up - the Persian immortals, so we can fight them with our Spartans!)

• @SavageBeatings:

Would be very fun to play a team of Legionaries versus a team of Vikings, and pretend they are just germanic tribesmen from the north.

Totally agree. Would be hilarious. A Roman Map would be nice too, but I bet it would look pretty similar to the Greek one… Even though there would be some Insulae, big statues and maybe a “Colosseum-like” building…

• @Jezal:

@SavageBeatings:

Would be very fun to play a team of Legionaries versus a team of Vikings, and pretend they are just germanic tribesmen from the north.

Totally agree. Would be hilarious. A Roman Map would be nice too, but I bet it would look pretty similar to the Greek one… Even though there would be some Insulae, big statues and maybe a “Colosseum-like” building…

They built their buildings out of different materials. So the colour palette would be completely different.

You can also have multiple types of gladius and spatha. Romans also liked the Spanish espasa. A really short sword.

Romans also used a spear, hasta which just means spear. Though post Marian was used by auxiliaries.

You can have two kinds of Pilum. Heavy and light. Carry two light ones and one heavy.

All Roman legionaries believe it or not carried a sling. So you could add that.

• Roman strength didn’t come from having the deadliest warriors though. Their largest strength was in their discipline and coordination in their shield formation.

Roman armor looks awesome and while they may have had the Deadliest Army, I’d argue that they didn’t necessarily have the Deadliest Warriors (Soldiers maybe.)

• @Jezal:

@SavageBeatings:

Yeah, that would be nice to see, although I was thinking more of one of those temporary wooden fortress in a more germanic forest-like area. You know, if we’re gonna be fighting germans. They always seem to live in dark and foggy forests in the movies:

gbSa9ZvSMaQ

hVKjzUhyufY

i3puj7zOWho

Although Rome is the only good one of these. With good, I mean historically accurate. The fighting in the others is cool, but sometimes you want it historically accurate if it’s going to take place in, you know, history.

• @lemonater47:

They built their buildings out of different materials. So the colour palette would be completely different.

You can also have multiple types of gladius and spatha. Romans also liked the Spanish espasa. A really short sword.

Romans also used a spear, hasta which just means spear. Though post Marian was used by auxiliaries.

You can have two kinds of Pilum. Heavy and light. Carry two light ones and one heavy.

All Roman legionaries believe it or not carried a sling. So you could add that.

Ok, so I just have some wikipedia knowledge about a few things here, but the Hastati were spearmen from the early days of the Roman Republic, the poorest class which couldn’t afford too good equipment, and later on they were issued gladii as main weapons and pilla for throwing. And about slingers, wiki says this:
    “From about 218 BC onwards, the Republican army’s slingers were exclusively mercenaries from the Balearic Islands, which had nurtured a strong indigenous tradition of slinging from prehistoric times…… slingers are portrayed on Trajan’s Column. They are shown unarmoured, wearing a short tunic. They carry a cloth bag, slung in front, to hold their shot (glandes).”

Oh, and what is an “espasa”? I tried google it, all I get is the spanish sword “espada” which is from the 15th century.

• Typing in Iberian espasa gets you closer. The Romans made a used it and called it the gladius hispaniensis.

25 inches long very sharp and it looks like the shortsword a bit from C:MW. One site said it could chop heads and limbs off with ease though I doubt it. That site also said the falcata was a decedent of the kopis bit it is now believed that they were invented in parallel due to new archeological evidence and the fact that Spain and Greece didn’t have much in the way of contact. Not even with Massalia. Though back then it was rather small at the time.

The hastati and pricepes both used spears an the Triarii were trained as equipped like hoplites. There was also the rorarii which were a lighter version of the hastati and the leves which came from the same social class as the rorarii but were Javelin men.

Then the “polybian” reform came in (he didn’t actually reform it but he describes it well). The hastati and pricepes were equipped with swords the Triarii got looked at and their armour a tad more staffed ides but not much. Triarii wore less armour alroujd but used a scutum now instead of a round Greek shield. Those qualified to be rorarii and leves became the velites. This didn’t happen all at once but over a period of time.

Slings were easy to make and use and lead was plentiful and easy to mold into shape. And while slings for away the lead rounds don’t. Bealeric slingers tended to make their own ammunition and sizes varied lots. And there wasn’t any writing on them as they had no written language. Auxailry Greek slingers did but of course they were in Greek.

But all over the place there are these lead rounds that are all exactly the same with Latin on them. A standardised sling round. And these were found where there were no actual slingers present on either side. Found from Britain to Egypt long after they started using auxailry slingers. Though here are only a few literary references of the use of slings by legionaries, even then they aren’t definite. But unless legionaries liked carrying sling ammunition around for no reason they probably used slings. Note they didn’t seem to carry many. 2-4 rounds each are the estimates.

• In short we need to Roman legionaries !