Spartans Underpowered

• Seriously, they dont do enough damage for the trouble it takes to get good hits with their weapons, their reload speed after throwing is ludicrous.

I could go on, but the point is Spartans need some love. Badly.

• Spartans are to be played with other spartans = steamroll

• In the alpha they were the most OP class.

A change to combo times making the spear more viable over the shield bash and sudden to they are now the most underpowered class. Yet the spear attacks do more damage and are longer range. Other classes were not changed much either.

Spartans are very good at group combat.

• I saw you complaining about this on a server.

Spartans are slower to turn while swinging than other classes, but they have excellent range and spear thrust combos. When used intelligently and in groups theyre pretty good.

Low skill groups however are complete shit, I will agree they need a slight turn speed buff to compensate for low skill teams.

• @Kratos:

their reload speed after throwing is ludicrous.

This! really needs to be fixed. it seems almost like a bug.

Currently, when a spartan throws their spear (Or even just if they start to throw but cancel it) They’re left vulnerable and unable to do anything (not even to block) for a period of 2-3 seconds. it really saps the fun out of spear throwing and makes it seem not worth the effort.

Granted there’s bound to be some vulnerability while you have no weapon in your hand, but i think they should still be allowed to bash and block with the shield, while they pull their sword out.

Also generally, it feels like the spear thrusts are too slow. Currently horizontal swings with big swords are pretty much king in this game. i think spears, and thrusting attacks generally, need some more buffing to be viable.

• The reload time is being drastically reduced. I don’t feel like Spartan melee is suffering at all right now.

• Spartans suck at groups. So easy to do team damage, since their spear stabs are so hard to aim. If the enemy steps sideways, with the ridiculous new movement speeds, its near impossible to correct the direction of the stab. Plus, no overheads with the swords = crazy TKs.

• I think the biggest thing I’ve noticed about the complaints of Spartans being underpowered:
    People complain that the Samurai is OP because he has highly damaging, decent ranged weapons, and a large assortment of them as well as medium armor. Yet no one points out they don’t have any shields, which are invaluable in dealing with ranged weaponry such as the throwing javelins of the Spartans, the guns of pirates, someone who is making good use of feints, or that in large group fights it’s hard to hit through a crowd of Spartans because at least one will have his shield raised to block your attack. What I’m trying to say is that the Samurai seems OP because he is easy to play, and so anyone can pick him up their first time and do moderately well.

How this relates to the Spartan. The Spartan is a very strong combatant in both 1v1 and group situations; the damage he does occurs at the red tracers towards the end of his stab animation, and therefore he requires accuracy, and a good feel for the range of your stabs. A good Spartan will aim for the head, trying to touch with the red tracers. Most people can’t pick up the Spartan their first time and LMB through crowds of players like you can as a Nodachi Samurai. What I’m trying to say about the Spartan is that it isn’t that he is underpowered, it’s that he requires experience that comparatively to another class, might not need. Often when Acropolis Spartan Vs Samurai comes up, I’ll pick Spartan, do well and top score for our team with very few deaths, but then we lose because everyone else has a sub 1 ratio and can’t stop dying. Since the change to throwing weapons that made it so you can retrieve your thrown weapon no matter what, Spartans are probably more beastly than ever. He’s a great class.

Example: The very bottom of the scoreboard shows players with 0 kills and a handful of deaths on the Spartan side, while on the Samurai side only one person has a similar score. The very bottom of the Samurai team at least score some kills and contribute to their victory effort, while the bottom of the Spartan side struggle to manage what the bottom Samurai could.

As a side note: There is one thing I’d like to see changed about the Spartan. When he swings his sword, he loses so much movement speed he comes to a crawl. Why is this? It just feels bad. Also, I’d like to see his sword get an overhand chop with his diagonal chop (or make the diagonal a typical lmb), and find a different key to bind the shield bash to (maybe middle mouse button since it isn’t being used by anything with his side arm out). These ideas are more of a quality of life for the side arm wielding Spartan, but I realize that giving him a one hander, shield with shield bashes, and full range of attacks with the one hander would make the Spartan side arm really powerful, maybe even OP. I just really like the Spartan side arms and I hate the lack of an overhand attack with them.

• the big difference between spartan and samurai

samurai have crowd control with lots of their twohanders while spartan has ZERO

• @Gauntlet:

What I’m trying to say is that the Samurai seems OP because he is easy to play, and so anyone can pick him up their first time and do moderately well.

lol I’ve been saying that since forever

• spartans are decent but they have terrible range and the tracers kind of blow. Best attacks are alt shield bash and overhead pokes i’ve found so far. I think the best way to play is to have one or two spartans just charge in with shields up and the others just attack around them… if you have your shield up you can also block your own team damage whilst hitting the other guys… works pretty well.

unless of course there are blunderbuss’

• @clayton-bigsby:

spartans are decent but they have terrible range and the tracers kind of blow.

Sarissa is the only good Spear

• Spartans need less piercing damage from throws and better melee survivability and they are fine.

• At the moment, my main disappointment with the Spartans is that the spears aren’t more viable in melee combat. What you tend to see the majority of Spartan players do is pick javelins and then switch to their sidearm for every close quarters fight. This is a shame, as a class centered around spears is a REALLY cool idea, but it hasn’t been implemented properly yet. I’d love to see lines of Spartans charging with their spears out, so hopefully they’re buffed at some point.

• @Mockingbirch:

At the moment, my main disappointment with the Spartans is that the spears aren’t more viable in melee combat. What you tend to see the majority of Spartan players do is pick javelins and then switch to their sidearm for every close quarters fight. This is a shame, as a class centered around spears is a REALLY cool idea, but it hasn’t been implemented properly yet. I’d love to see lines of Spartans charging with their spears out, so hopefully they’re buffed at some point.

Non-Sarissa spears are just too short, and it is too easy to circle strafe around thrusts

• @BB:

Non-Sarissa spears are just too short, and it is too easy to circle strafe around thrusts

This pretty much sums up everything wrong with the Spartans. Spartans are not underpowered by any means, I think we’re a nice balanced class that in the right hands can be devastating. The problem is with Tornbanner for whatever reason increasing movement speed people can move past your block and hit your open side before you can turn your shield to face it.

Movement speed is the true issue. It’s too fast in relation to strafing. They need to tone it down for all classes as it affects us all.

• make a phalanx :D

• yea, the spears of the spartans really dont have the impact and feel of power like the spears in C:MW had, i loved spears there… but here they just feel weak and up :S

• @Khyy:

Movement speed is the true issue.

Partly, stabs are by far the hardest attacks to land and the increased game speed makes this especially harder

Mostly though, the Spartan is a 1v1 fighter at his core and all of his attacks, and this game loves it’s gangbangs

• @BB:

@Khyy:

Movement speed is the true issue.

Partly, stabs are by far the hardest attacks to land and the increased game speed makes this especially harder

Mostly though, the Spartan is a 1v1 fighter at his core and all of his attacks, and this game loves it’s gangbangs

No elitist comment? A real opinionated response? Dope bro!

Anyways, I have to agree with Spartans being 1v1 fighters. It’s not just us however, it is all classes suffering from this. It comes down to the player who is capable of strafing around your block/attacks being the winner instead of the player who blocks. I do this shit all the time. You can kite them into a swing, back up, wait for the miss come in and hit as they’re defenseless.

On top of the speed then, I guess you could say the delay after a missed swing plays a big role as well? I just think that delay is realistic though and not a bad thing, it’s just being affected by the speed in which a player can then turn and get to you.

Do you for a moment actually believe this new ezmode shit of kite a missed hit, swing, rinse & repeat is skill? I personally think the old way of actually having to take intelligent swings, know when to back off, hit dragging, overheads, etc was far more skilled than this.