Chivalry specific Map building questions - getting started

• Ok as I look about hte chivalry maps and various meshes and materials we have access to, i have a few questions…

1/ What does the TheWorld:PersistantLevelStaticMeshActor do ?
    2/ what does the material M_FortressW do, what does it do with all of the referenced objects? why use a world aligned texture?
    3/ using the landscape / terrain materials I get a lot of texture repetition patterns, i notice this also in the official maps…did you create any materials which solve this - i.e. multiple material overlays etc?
    4/ which does torn banner use for static mesh creation, if its maya can you share your import workflow?
    5/ what is the technical reason for using multiple udk’s in the final baked levels?

I’m sure i will come across more, but if anyone TB or otherwise has any insight into these, it would be useful.

thanks

• 1. Where did you see this? I assume it is a static mesh that is always loaded and present in the level.

3. It’s an ever present issue even in modern AAA games. There are ways to mitigate it. You can overlay a texture onto your terrain with much lower UV tilling coordinates. This MIGHT help, but it can also look weird and obvious.

You can use more complex blending between layers using heightmaps and blend them for variety, it looks really good, but might require you to set up your own textures to save on texture samples (store your heightmap in alpha channel of diffuse map, and specular in normal map alpha).

Most obvious but also most difficult is creating your textures with as little lighting info as possible and even color values.

Oh, and covering your landscape with foliage/clutter also helps.

4. I don’t work at TBS and neither I use Maya, but this should cover all you need: http://cg.tutsplus.com/tutorials/autodesk-maya/maya-to-udk-importing-static-meshes-using-actorx-fbx/

5. Having one map divided into several sublevels allows you to dynamically load and unload them. But I think the best thing about it is the flexibility you have when working on a level. If you divide your map into sublevels you can have sound guy, artists and level designers working separately in their respective sublevel.

Also if you have separate sublevel for gameplay mechanics you can quickly turn a Team Objective map into Team Deathmatch by just swapping gameplay sublevel. It’s kind of like working on multiple layers in Photoshop.

• Developer

I think the environment artists use Max, Modo, and Blender. Maybe one uses Maya?

• 2/ bump – anyone ???

3/ yeah trying some of these - wanting to avoide doing the texture overlays though …

re 4/ -yeah that site says some good things but not everything - forexample Maya has some texture uv shapes upside down, so that when imported to UDK, they show incorrect shadows - the only way i have found to correct this is to manually rotate the offending ones. also i belie this says to triangulate on export - again i found this throws up light map errors - it works better if you triangulate the object in maya and then export without triangulation set.

5/ i thought these things thanks - do you think it has any performance related implications / reasons for doing it??