Freaking hackers

• Apart from my real job I do software development for another business.

Checked the log files, people trying to guess root password from all around the world, constantly.

Spent most of the day dealing with a hacker who found vulnerabilities in the web server. He killed my ssh service so I had to call the hosting company.

Ended up with a reinstall, restore, reconfiguration because they already put too many hooks all around centos.

Is there no end to internet attacks…

• I found it hilarious when I changed my ssh port from the regular to a random one, brute force attacks were reduced significantly. I believe you already know about it, but you can turn off the possibility to log in as root directly via SSH. And can’t you divide the websites files into a single “domain” or “node” so to speak, I believe there’s a function to do so, which means if they hack your website they won’t hack your entire computer.

• @Xylvion:

I found it hilarious when I changed my ssh port from the regular to a random one, brute force attacks were reduced significantly. I believe you already know about it, but you can turn off the possibility to log in as root directly via SSH. And can’t you divide the websites files into a single “domain” or “node” so to speak, I believe there’s a function to do so, which means if they hack your website they won’t hack your entire computer.

Yeah but thats a lot of work, at least for JBoss I think and I just don’t have time.

I found some security changes to reduce the vulnerability for JBoss.

And I finally figured out how to port forward using iptables so at least the webservers are running as non-root users.

But they will probably find another way in.

• @gregcau:

Yeah but thats a lot of work, at least for JBoss I think and I just don’t have time.

I found some security changes to reduce the vulnerability for JBoss.

And I finally figured out how to port forward using iptables so at least the webservers are running as non-root users.

But they will probably find another way in.

Oh most of the things I mentioned aren’t boud to a software like JBoss, but to the CentOS. But hey some security is better than no security (;