This is really getting on my nerves…

• I feel like I finally need to say this. I don’t know what’s wrong with Chivalry, but each patch seems to decrease the game’s performance. The most recent one has hit my fps more severely than any other in the past too. And yes, I know the default response to this would be “get a new PC”. True that, mine’s pretty old, and yet still capable to run all new games. Max settings are a thing of the past, naturally, but I can still get decent graphics out of most of them.

But that isn’t the point. The point is, Chivalry used to run fine for me. At the game’s launch I could run it with near everything maxed out. Lately, as the performance got worse with each patch, I had to tweak the settings a little bit until I managed to find that sweet spot where the game still looked great and ran well. And now that’s gone. I don’t know what the last patch changed, but the settings I used to run now choke the fps down to unplayable level. Naturally, I lowered it and can now play comfortably, but the game started looking, let us say, below the acceptable level of “bad”.

Why is this happening? Is it just me? No other game of the ones I currently play experience any sort of performance hiccups, so it has to be a problem specific to Chivalry. No other game in the history of the one’s I’ve played had managed to make their optimization WORSE with every new patch without adding anything new to the graphics. So how does this make any sense? And when does it stop? How long before the next patch hits and I’m not able to run the game at all? Because at this rate, I fear that might not be as absurd idea as it sounds.

• Nope not just you…

• It is very likely because your CPU is too slow.
    I have the same problem as you.
    You need to go to your ini’s and change maxsound channels down and soundcompressed up or whatever those settings are, do a search you will find them.

Secondly turn ragdolls down to 5 or less.

Thirdly Overclock your CPU. Going from 3.2 -> 3.4ghz made a huge difference for me. From unplayable stuttering to decent running.

And finally, play only on servers with 24 or less people.

• @Velociraptor:

And yes, I know the default response to this would be “get a new PC”.

If the game requirements are too high most people will probably not get a new PC but not play the game instead. Especially as Chivarly isn’t one of those super-hyped mainstream games. So if the performance is really going down its something that should be addressed.

• almost every major patch I’ve noticed at minimum slight general performance loss (maybe only beginning with the customization patch). This wasn’t so bad until CU2 Patch 1.2, where the game LITERALLY takes 3 minutes to load now (to be fair I am the only one I know how experiences that). On top of that, I’ve been having lag issues that come and go, although I’m not sure if that’s related.

similarly to OP, this game ran fine before a few major patches, as in it loaded fast enough for me and I got around 60 FPS on duel servers, considering my computer is an aged gaming computer.

initially I wanted to buy DW, but with this going on, and supposedly DW being more resource intensive, what’s the point? Playing MW is getting annoying now, which really sucks. A WORD FROM THE DEVS ON THIS WOULD BE APPRECIATED (hue)

considering it seems many other users are having similar issues, it seems to me that TB is modifying the game into an even more unoptimized mess with each patch.

• Loading maps takes about 30-45 seconds for me when they use to take under 7 seconds to load. I guess this has something to do with the SDK?

• I’m usually first in the game. In fact for any unreal engine game I’m usually the first to load in after map change. Really good for red orchestra 2/rising storm as I get to pick whatever class I want first.

Loading time hasn’t changed at all for me.

• This game is the epitome of an unoptomized title. It’s horrendous and there’s no excuse, none. As with the OP, every single patch has made the game run worse on my machine, a rig that can eyefinity several more demanding titles with ease and with a consistant framerate.

-Antec 900 Mid Tower
    -MSI 890FX GD70 Mainboard
    -AMD Phenom II 965 Black @ 3.8
    -Corsair H100
    -Gskill Ripjaws X Series 1600 DDR3 Ram 8 gigs
    -2X XFX HD 6950 2gb in CFX
    -OCZ Vertex III 120gb SSD
    -Western Digital 500 gb HD
    -Kingwin Mach 1 1000W PSU
    -LiteOn DVD multi drive
    -Eyefinity monitor setup. 3X 24" Asus VW246H

If you take a critical step back, Chivalry Medieval Warfare is a VERY poorly made title that sells on concept alone.

Look at a game like Killing Floor. Same engine, but the game runs smoother than butter at maxed settings. Things like the server browser actually work 100% of the time. All the options and settings work as intended. Connecting or disconnecting from servers is quicker than lightning and you can actually join off friends, through favorites or through steam as well. The game also has a fully fleshed out mod and admin system, making it a breeze to host custom servers.

Both games use the Unreal Engine and you can easily see which one has more polish and programmers who actually know what they’re doing.

• @DokB:

Loading maps takes about 30-45 seconds for me when they use to take under 7 seconds to load. I guess this has something to do with the SDK?

damn, that sucks. Sounds similar to my problem, except way worse for loading maps. What’s the time like for loading chivalry? So, from launching it from Steam to the main menu screen in-game?

• @lemonater47:

would you say you have a pretty decent, and current gaming computer?

• @5hassay:

@lemonater47:

Nope. CPU, RAM and motherboard is a year old GPU is four years old and God knows how old the hard drive and power supply are.

All mid range stuff.

• @lemonater47:

@5hassay:

@lemonater47:

Nope. CPU, RAM and motherboard is a year old GPU is four years old and God knows how old the hard drive and power supply are.

All mid range stuff.

well that’s very interesting

• The OP is absolutely correct as I have already posted about this as well but sadly it got moved to the bug section because I found that if you have CMWBeta installed as well, that the beta INI files will override many changes if you tweak your game.

For what ever reason the devs do not have the ability to do 3 things well or at all. One is simply to upload a patch that doesnt reset all of your INI tweaks and settings. Two is optimize maps and models and three is to optimize the netcode.

Once I get a solid fix for the games constant microstuttering, provided that it isnt netcode related I will be posting up a complete list of my current tweaks. If you look around you will see many of my posts about tweaks. I will continue to work on them.

So to all these idiots that tell you to get a new PC, ignore them unless it is a complete turd. But trust me on this 90% is game related and not hardware related.

• Saving copies of your ini files you edited would have saved you some grief.

• Yeah, my load times have gone up by a huge margin as well. Another stone in TBs garden I guess.

Seriously though, this is unacceptable. I could understand when I experienced fps drops in Citadel, when it was added, because it was a more complex map than the last one, also when the customization patch put a SLIGHT dent in my performance, but neither of those was on a level such as this last patch. Which added precisely nothing visually to the game’s graphics.

The way I see it, the game ran fine when I bought it AND it ran fine just before this match (slightly less fine than before, but still acceptable). If I could run the game on high/medium settings when it came out, I should by all means be able to do it after patches that followed. While now, several months from launch, it either looks like crap, or is unplayable. There is no excuse whatsoever for a gaming company to consistently worsen the optimization of their game with each coming patch. Most aim to increase optimization, but never before have I seen the opposite. It’s just… bad. All I can say.

• I have noticed the game takes a bit longer to start up. And I can’t skips the intro vids in the middle of the unreal one. But when the torn banner one comes.

And I have noticed it takes a while for everyone to get in game now. I get in early still but everyone else takes longer than usual.

• This is really quite silly.

I know that some of us our having various troubles. I get it.

But I have a 2 year old PC, and it runs this game at 60 fps no matter how many players, map, etc.

My PC is not new! It’s 2 years old (except for the new gpu). This is what makes dev for PC gaming so hard. Tons of variable hardware. They will make it as smooth as they can. 1/2 the people having HW trouble are OC’d, the other half are running 5-6 year old PCs, and some have legitimately defective parts. A very small percentage actually have issues that are the dev’s fault. Have some patience.

State your case with as much info as possible. Included specs and logs if you can. Before you say anything get the errors to reproduce on your PC at stock clock speeds for everything. Trouble shooting can’t be done with an OC’ed system.

Now about that server browser……

i5-2500k
    DDR3 1600 RAM
    Gigabyte Z68xp UD4 mb
    GTX 760

• Especially noticeable in LTS mode, where the first round now is usually fought by 2-4 people, and everyone else spawns only in the second round due to having slower load times.

• @lemonater47:

Saving copies of your ini files you edited would have saved you some grief.

You are again, an idiot. I did this but the patch changed INI files so when I swapped my saved config the game did not run… ugh seriously, stop posting.

• @jellowiggler:

This is really quite silly.

I know that some of us our having various troubles. I get it.

But I have a 2 year old PC, and it runs this game at 60 fps no matter how many players, map, etc.

My PC is not new! It’s 2 years old (except for the new gpu). This is what makes dev for PC gaming so hard. Tons of variable hardware. They will make it as smooth as they can. 1/2 the people having HW trouble are OC’d, the other half are running 5-6 year old PCs, and some have legitimately defective parts. A very small percentage actually have issues that are the dev’s fault. Have some patience.

State your case with as much info as possible. Included specs and logs if you can. Before you say anything get the errors to reproduce on your PC at stock clock speeds for everything. Trouble shooting can’t be done with an OC’ed system.

Now about that server browser……

i5-2500k
    DDR3 1600 RAM
    Gigabyte Z68xp UD4 mb
    GTX 760

Um no it is not silly and No the devs have done very little if any optimizations. Both the maps and netcode are horrible and far from optimized or in the case of the maps, there are so many seems between textures that the PC is forced to render what should not even be seen.