Spartan Vs Viking throw/pickup recovery time

• Hi Guys,

Ive tried these two classes a bit these last few days and I have noticed that the spartan takes longer after picking up his spear before he can attack/block again than the viking does with weapon/sheild throws.

Is there actually a difference in “official” recovery times for the two classes?

Is this just me or have any of you noticed this too?

-Arnold

• Shield throw is supposed to go back to your back not your hand again. So you have to equip it again.

Spartan weapons do the same. They go to Your back.

• Spartan spear throws can’t be blocked, but Viking throws can. I think that might be the logic of the insane long recovery there is after throwing spear.

• @KONGEN:

Spartan spear throws can’t be blocked, but Viking throws can. I think that might be the logic of the insane long recovery there is after throwing spear.

Uhh but viking throw can keep knocking you back/killing your stamina. You can’t do anything to stop shield spam. inb4 forum warrior 3000 goes “ubad l2play im too pro legit shit omg”.

OP: I’m sure it will get fixed. I bet it’ll go to their back. Also, the Spartan recovery time is being drastically reduced in an upcoming patch so said Slygoat in another thread.

• How to fix the shield throw:
    Make it so that the shield is put on back upon picking it up, and have the Viking perform an exceptionally slow animation for equipping the shield.
    Or, you know, just add a cooldown period for picking it up.

Those seem to be the two best suggestions I’ve seen around here.

• @KONGEN:

Spartan spear throws can’t be blocked, but Viking throws can. I think that might be the logic of the insane long recovery there is after throwing spear.

It can be blocked.

Just can’t be parried.

• The javelin reload animation was animated to be about 1.8 seconds long. So our animator set the timing of it to 1.8 seconds. This is obviously not ideal from a gameplay standpoint ;)

It’s being toned way down and I believe the animation will be touched up to fit the much faster speed. There are also some bugfixes and tweaks coming to Viking throwables so you can’t instantly spam ricocheted shields and hammers.

• Another question about the Spartan throw: I think this may be a bug, but maybe not. Either way I don’t think it fits into the game at all. When you are a Spartan with either javelin or short spear if you encounter melee combat immediately after a throw and your reload is interrupted in the slightest, you begin a dreadful loop of spinning your spear and attempting to raise it with no way out. Basically immediate death. Using any of the single ammunition throwing weaps, you switch right to your sword and end up being alright. After some time playing with both, I’ve come to the conclusion that short spear and javelin are useless for this reason. Just wondering if a fix is coming any time soon, or if its just supposed to be that way

• @SlyGoat:

It’s being toned way down and I believe the animation will be touched up to fit the much faster speed. There are also some bugfixes and tweaks coming to Viking throwables so you can’t instantly spam ricocheted shields and hammers.

Would you care to elaborate in what way the throwables will be tweaked? :)

• @B4RK:

@SlyGoat:

Would you care to elaborate in what way the throwables will be tweaked? :)

Shield throw and hammer will be getting slower windups and they won’t be instantly re-equipped when picked up (they’ll go to your back and you’ll have to switch to them). Some speeds and timings are also being adjusted for other throwables. Dual wield throwing and throwable norse sword will also be added.

• Hi Slygoat,

Thats awsome thanks for clearing that up.

Regards,

Arnold

• Norse sword throwing? Dual weild throwing? Why in God’s name are you guys so focused on implementing ranged combat, Goat?

• @magilla:

Norse sword throwing? Dual weild throwing? Why in God’s name are you guys so focused on implementing ranged combat, Goat?

I wouldn’t really call this “ranged combat”. I mean, sure, it’s projectiles, but still…

• @magilla:

Norse sword throwing? Dual weild throwing? Why in God’s name are you guys so focused on implementing ranged combat, Goat?

Consistency.

• If it makes people feel any better about Vikings, half of the time they throw their weapons they just disappear.
    And I don’t mean get lost somewhere on the map and you can’t find it. I mean they just despawn. You ever played a Viking with no 2H and just a Norse, no shield? They’re insanely hard at that point. The shield throw is all they really have going for them, and I know people are going to be up my ass but seriously, learn to parry it. I don’t think I’ve ever been hit by a shield when I was prepared for it. I know it staggers, but that’s not really a big deal. I don’t think the “get hit” and “parry” staggers are the same, I think parry is short, short enough that you can just parry them again if they try to swing.

So… if you see a Viking with a shield, prepare for it. They can get up close and just spam it, but that’s a completely useless tactic if you’re with your allies. Just keep your distance and if they close in, run away and go for an LMB from the side. Hit them before they even get to you.

• Throwables can be considered ranged combat, as they function at a range from melee combat.

Consistency? Bollocks.

I’ve never seen viking weapons despawn. Also, it’s simple to parry. The issue is how quickly it can be picked up and repeatedly tossed. The problem with the viking is that it makes no sense to fight melee 90% of the time, when you can sap your opponent using throwables repeatedly. Also, I don’t know how you think the norse sword is ineffective without the shield.

• @SlyGoat:

@magilla:

Consistency.

Huh I just assumed swords aren’t very aerodynamic

@magilla:

Throwables can be considered ranged combat, as they function at a range from melee combat.

meh, they can be parried, which makes them really long melee weapons
    and with the Viking throwables getting fixed I don’t have a beef with them

• Oh, the ridiculous stagger from shield throw is also being removed.

• @SlyGoat:

Oh, the ridiculous stagger from shield throw is also being removed.

that is very very lovely
    can we riposte off shield throws like we can ninja stars?