Chivalry:MW64 bit? UDK.exe(64) VS UDK.exe(32)

• Well, another interesting find when I was searching for tweaks. Chivalry:MW 64bit! All this time I have been running Chivalry:MW 32 bit. So I asked myself what gives and I tested the 64 bit version against the 32 bit version and here is what I found. For one, I was surprised it existed and worked.

[subscript:16etyvc5]C:MW 32[/subscript:16etyvc5]
    Ram 3 to 4.2 gigs max
    CPU 40%-50%

[subscript:16etyvc5]C:MW 64[/subscript:16etyvc5]
    Ram 4 - 5.12 gigs max
    CPU 30%-35%

As far as I could tell with all settings turned on between both versions the FPS seems slightly better with the 64 bit than the 32 bit by maybe 10 FPS max. Almost seems negligible but dramatic differences in ram and CPU usage.

So I have a few questions.
    1. What is wrong with the 64 bit version?

2. Is there any real benefits to running one version over the other in a 64 bit environment?

3. Why is the 32 bit version the default version that loads by default or did I miss something when I originally installed it?

If you want to know what version you are running, just open your Task Manager while in game, CRTL + ALT + DEL. In the Processes Tab you will see UDK.exe(32) or UDK.exe. The latter being the 64 bit version.

If you want to know where to fine the actual exe file for both, they are located in:
    C:Program Files(x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/chivalrymedievalwarfare/binaries
    Win32 or the Win64 you will find the appropriate UDK.exe

Now since this is the first I have heard of this, I would say to test on your own risk. Clearly you will need at least 6 gigs of ram 8 would be better in case you run a lot of apps and an 64 bit OS to run the 64bit version.

I use Advanced System Care 5’s game booster to shut down all background and unnecessary apps. At the time of testing I was running TeamSpeak and Firefox. I also only have 6 gigs of ram so I was watching my process monitor carefully to make sure I didnt run out of ram. I also do not use a swap file thus all swaps happen in ram as well.

This needs more testing I am assuming.

• @Retsnom:

If you want to know what version you are running, just open your Task Manager while in game, CRTL + ALT + DEL. In the Processes Tab you will see UDK.exe(32) or UDK.exe. The latter being the 64 bit version

You sure? Going by that I’ve been running the 64 bit version the whole time. Even though the devs said it defaults to the 32 bit version because the 64 bit version wasn’t done and was more of an experiment. Though it was a long time ago. AND a 64 bit launch option is no longer there on the chivalry beta.

• You can right-click it in task manager and select “open file location” or whatever. Should show you if it is in the win32 or win64 folder. Mine is 32-bit, as I expect is the default.

• So far the 64 bit version is working fine. When I reapplied my big tweaks I was getting solid 90FPF on most maps on full servers and 200FPS on menus. My tweaks are here: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=24097

I would still like the answers to my previous questions and I have another. With running the 64 bit version with the lower CPU percentage, I am assuming that is because it has doubled the processes being 63 bit VS the 32 bit. Is there a way to make Chiv use more CPU processing power?

• @Retsnom:

Is there a way to make Chiv use more CPU processing power?

I don’t think that’s how programs really work, where if it’s using 100% CPU it must be working.

Perhaps download some sort of GPU monitor, and see what usage your GPU is running at. It seems for me, this game is GPU bound and doesn’t require much CPU power. As in, my GPU is running at 100% but my CPU only runs at 30%. But I think the main problem is optimisation, wherein the game itself isn’t utilising resources efficiently.

I’m not 100% on the details (like your CPU), but I don’t think asking how to make make Chivalry use more processing power is the correct thing to be asking, because that’s just not how it works.

My understanding of 64-bit vs 32-bit is that x64 allows for more memory address space, meaning a 64-bit application should have more access to RAM. But that’s as far as it goes, and this link seems to verify.

• The game eats CPU’s for breakfast.

Proof:

in console: stat unitgraph

In simple terms, the game thread is CPU. For anyone with an average or less CPU you will see the game thread smashing the render thread.

• @Toll:

The game eats CPU’s for breakfast.

Proof:

in console: stat unitgraph

In simple terms, the game thread is CPU. For anyone with an average or less CPU you will see the game thread smashing the render thread.

I have not actually seen this. Under the 32 bit version the CPU never got above 40% and that was including the OS and all background services. I will admit that it is CPU speed dependent in that the CPU speed is more important than actual CPU usage. When the game is only using a small fraction of the CPU to run the game that ought to tell you that it is not properly optimized for quad core and post processing. Why is it that so many games the use the UDK engine run smoothly and this is far from the case?

When running the 64 bit version the CPU usage maxes out around 30%. Now I understand the basic differences between 32 and 64 bit programs, it is clear that 64 bit programs that actually take advantage of 64 bit run far better and faster than 32 bit. IT is all about the programming and optimization. Clearly Chiv is far from this.