Problems with the competitive scene survey

• So I couldn’t help but notice that most of the competitive scene doesn’t play chivalry as much as they did. So I decided that I would conduct a quick survey with the friends I had online that are members/past members of the competitive scene. I felt this would be the perfect time to ask because it’s been a few months since the big update in late June of 2013 and I felt that was a good chunk of time to “adapt” to the change of the patch. I hope that this information will be used to help improve the game as a whole. Also I hope it will influence others to be more vocal.
    I asked 2 simple questions:

1. What would you say is the biggest reason you don’t play chivalry as much as you did say a few months ago?
    2. Would you say the game got overly simplified/boring?

These are answers directly copy pasted from the chat, nothing was changed (besides maybe order) and I gave the option to make their answer anonymous. I decided to post these answers in hope that they will be listened to and hopefully analyzed by the TBS development team. Also I hope that other people will jump in and share what they feel.

Here is the answers I got:
    int | Kiri

! Sydneymon: What would you say is the biggest reason you don’t play chivalry as much as you did say a few months ago?
    ! int | Kiri: Less control over my character
    ! Sydneymon: So the patch back in late june?
    ! int | Kiri: Yep
    ! Sydneymon: Would you say the game got overly simplified/boring?
    ! int | Kiri: No, just needlessly changed. Torn Banner accidentally created an elegant, deep combat system and instead of making balance changes, they made mechanics changes late after release
    ! int | Kiri: Every instance of a developer changing mechanics in an attempt to bugfix or stop something that was technically unintended but not gamebreaking has had a negative impact on the competitive side of that game
    ! int | Kiri: It used to be that “exploits” were embraced and incorporated, such as rocket jumping and bunny hopping, but nowadays things are “fixed”, like wall bouncing in Gears of War or many many of the mobility options in Super Smash, to the detriment of the gameplay and often creating all kinds of other issues (ninja flips and crab walking in Gears of War 2)
    ! int | Kiri: They need to make balance changes, not mechanics changes, is the key point there

int | Tobi-wan Kenobi

! Sydneymon: What would you say is the biggest reason you don’t play chivalry as much as you did say a few months ago?
    ! int | Tobi-wan Kenobi: the biggest turnoff for me is the sloppiness of fights - how things are misrepresented onscreen. “I parried that.” etc. Game like this has to be perfect. Whether these are caused by desyncs, bugs, or just network latency, I don’t know, but it happens way too much.
    ! int | Tobi-wan Kenobi: I wouldn’t say boring. Just less engaging. The ‘hiccups’ in control fluidity, like the 200ms no-feint window(though it really did ‘fix’ feints and make them easier to defend against through waiting and watching) make the fights more a matter of understanding what is possible for your character at that moment and less about changing what your character is doing to react to a new development in the fight. For example, no more combo-feint-parry.
    ! int | Tobi-wan Kenobi: So in other words, it’s actually MORE complicated from my perspective.
    ! int | Tobi-wan Kenobi: They’ve put more emphasis on knowledge of game mechanics by putting more restrictions on your movement capabilities.
    ! int | Tobi-wan Kenobi: Get’s annoying when you want to do something but can’t.
    ! int | Tobi-wan Kenobi: Ruins immersion too.

f| Skooma

! ƒ| sk00ma: thats a pretty loaded question lol
    ! ƒ| sk00ma: but ill bite
    ! ƒ| sk00ma: bunch of rl friends are playing dota lately and not a lot of people in F are playing chiv
    ! ƒ| sk00ma: when they do play its just a scrim
    ! ƒ| sk00ma: and they just yell at each other until we win
    ! ƒ| sk00ma: so its not super fun
    ! ƒ| sk00ma: i still play once a day prob though
    ! ƒ| sk00ma: we scrim maybe 1-2 times a week but not really anything serious
    ! ƒ| sk00ma: id imagine that with DW on the brink so much that lotta people are just kinda chilling

Alice

! Alice: bubble patch
    ! Alice: secondarily I play less because I don’t have much faith that TBS will improve their product, or has the interest of the players in mind. They seem focused on getting new players to buy the game. Part of that conclusion comes from the bubble patch and the other part is all the bugs and stuff that have been in the game for months and months
    ! Sydneymon: Would you say the game got over simplified/boring?
    ! Alice: yes
    ! Alice: also a ton of people I liked left
    ! Alice: so
    ! Alice: but that was due to the bubble patch as well

Lg| Hanzo

! Lg | Hanzo the Humble: introduction of the bubble, bugs and shitty animations that have been around forever, sydney leaving :(
    ! Lg | Hanzo the Humble: lol
    ! Sydneymon: haha, so would you say chivalry got over simplified/boring?
    ! Lg | Hanzo the Humble: oh…CFTP…most important!
    ! Lg | Hanzo the Humble: and yes
    ! Lg | Hanzo the Humble: def less skillfull now :(

RK | Jetstream

! RK | Samstream Jet: all the clans are disappearing and there’s no daily scrims
    ! Sydneymon: Would you say the game has been over simplified/boring?
    ! RK | Samstream Jet: it never really changed for me since i never used cftp
    ! RK | Samstream Jet: so it’s still the same to me

RK | Despair

! RK | Despair: Competition
    ! Sydneymon: so the dying comp scene?
    ! RK | Despair: Kind of

RK | Darenger

! RK | Darenger: the bubble, op weapons, restricted gameplay (no cftp, retarded flinch windows ect ect)
    ! RK | Darenger: not necesseraly boring, still pretty fun gameplay but some mechanics definitely were introduced to make it easier for newcomers and those lowered the skill ceiling as well

KnH~Dusty

! Sydneymon: Why is it that now you don’t play chivalry as much anymore?
    ! Sydneymon: (asking a lot of people this question)
    ! KnH ~ Dustytretch: More just the fact there is not much point considering the comp community is so small and I have more work to do
    ! Sydneymon: Would you say the game is still fun? Or you do feel it’s gotten simplified?
    ! KnH ~ Dustytretch: Still fun
    ! KnH ~ Dustytretch: But I dont like panic parry over combo feint to parry

Anonymous

! Sydneymon: What would you say is the biggest reason you don’t play chivalry as much as you did say 4 months ago
    ! anon: that’s a pretty difficult one, but an overarcing statement would be that they lowered the skill cieling dramatically
    ! Sydneymon: Would you say the game as gotten simple and “boring”?
    ! anon: more boring
    ! anon: not necessarily boring totally, just more boring/simplified

Vq. Doomy Doom

! Vq.| DoomyDoom: the patch that changed all the mechanics
    ! Vq.| DoomyDoom: they fixed all the balance issues…and then changed the entire game so it was all broken again
    ! Vq.| DoomyDoom: the only fun class to play is archer because he doesnt have to deal with melee as much
    ! Vq.| DoomyDoom: and when he does archer is best melee in the game besides maa
    ! Vq.| DoomyDoom: why did you ask?
    ! Sydneymon: Surveying my friends list
    ! Sydneymon: so would you say chivalry got over simplified/boring?
    ! Vq.| DoomyDoom: not just simplified but mechanically worse
    ! Vq.| DoomyDoom: it’s harder to block overheads than it used to be because tibbs nerfed lookups

Nabster

! Nabster: uhm… the patch is why i don’t play vanilla chiv at all
    ! Nabster: it just got worse
    ! Nabster: feels clunky
    ! Nabster: balance is stil wacky
    ! Nabster: and its not nearly as satisfying to play any more with the changes
    ! Nabster: i played MaA and a bit of knight before
    ! Nabster: knight got nuked entirely
    ! Nabster: and even though MaA is still very strong, its not because you can play well with it
    ! Nabster: but basically, my favourite playstyles were just removed from the game

??X | Stan

! ??X | Stan Raaaawr: July patch for sure…rather the changes the july patch brought to the game
    ! ??X | Stan Raaaawr: Simplified. I still find it pretty fun. But def a bit more boring
    ! ??X | Stan Raaaawr: I’ve gotten so used to it now though

My response

! What would you say is the biggest reason you don’t play chivalry as much as you did say a few months ago?
    ! The biggest reason I would say was the patch in June 2013. The game was fairly close to being balanced and I had spent hundreds of hours perfecting my game play. Then suddenly the patch hit and everything changed, the game got easier and the competitive scene wasn’t as fun to me.
    !
    ! Would you say the game got overly simplified/boring?
    ! Yes yes yes yes yes! That is the main reason why I moved to Dota 2. Chivalry doesn’t have as much depth as it did in the past.

My analysis from the answers I got is that the main reason these players don’t play chivalry as much is the changes from the patch in late June 2013 (Mainly Combo feint to parry, the bubble, and lack of control in general). Which then lead to people leaving –> Small competitive scene got even smaller --> people moved on to something being the competitive scene was dying.

These are only the people I could get answers from in a hour period of time. If you would like to answer the questions I asked in this thread go for it!
    I will be editing this when I get the answers from people who have yet to respond.
    Thank you for reading and especially thank you everyone who participated!

• Excellent post. Very interesting to read what others have said. I never joined the competitive scene because I thought there were just too many balance issues in the game. Around June I started responding to clan recruiters, thinking the coming patch would resolve most of those issues. lol

According to Steam, I haven’t played CMW since July 17th. I don’t even download the updates anymore, so getting back into the game is an hour of downloading for me. Until the workshop support for game mods (not just maps) is added, I won’t be playing.

As Kiri said - they made major mechanics changes late in the game’s life, when all they needed to do was polish the gem they had. The game became much less fun for me immediately. But I stuck around until they added hats. I lost all confidence in TBS’s vision for the game after that.

• Good stuff. Confirms what many of us have been preaching.

• I have to say: I still enjoy Chivalry, and I’ve recently acquired 1000 hours of gameplay, but there’s far too many problems that have only been acknowledged and never addressed. The biggest issue I have is the bubble - it just gets in the way and does absolutely nothing to counteract face hugging; certain weapons, that most of the newer players will struggle against, still reach far around blocks with minimal effort required. It’s mostly the recent balance changes that have made this game more imbalanced and difficult to enjoy (for some); the crossbow buff was unnecessary and has made the light crossbow stupidly overpowered; the spear slash didn’t need a buff, you just can’t justify such nonsense - especially for the brandistock. I feel some kind of disclaimer is needed here: I don’t use feints, ever, or care about the removal of CFTP, so I’m not whining about things some people consider to be exploits/bugs - there are no real exploits any more, anyway, there is only game mechanics that you choose to use or don’t.

Personally, I much prefer C:MW over C:DW and I know a lot of people who feel the same way - majority of the people I play with - and others vice versa. I’ll continue to play C:MW, but I won’t be purchasing C:DW.

I don’t want to write a wall so I’ll end on a positive note: I still believe Chivalry is full of potential but you have to make the right balance tweaks and address bugs more efficiently (i.e. don’t introduce new bugs). Thanks for the 1000 hours, TBS, and I seriously hope to enjoy your game for a long time yet.

• It’s gotta be said:

Patch revert would be the best frickin’ Christmas present for me.

• What is this thread even about? Don’t you think torn banner and Tibberius crew of masterminds would know whats best for their game? You guys sound like some whiny elitist asshats. You guys are like 1% of the games population and torn banner wants to balance the game for everyone else, not some “competitive players” who abuse certain mechanics that barely anyone knows to stomp noobies. Feints were OP and you should make more decisions and should not have that much player control, its just unfair to new players. You SHOULD be punished for missing and limited in your actions, its realistic. The bubble is also a legitimate mechanic and good for the game, it made those unblockable onehander swings finally blockable and reduced the effectiveness of the overpowered facehug tactic.

!

• @CRUSHED:

What is this thread even about? Don’t you think torn banner would know whats best for their game? You guys sound like some whiny elitist asshats. You guys are like 1% of the games population and torn banner wants to balance the game for everyone else, not some “competitive players” who abuse certain mechanics that barely anyone knows to stomp noobies. Feints were OP and you should make more decisions and should not have that much player control, its just unfair to new players. You SHOULD be punished for missing and limited in your actions, its realistic. The bubble is also a legitimate mechanic and good for the game, it made those unblockable onehander swings finally blockable and reduced the effectiveness of the overpowered facehug tactic.

!

lel

• @CRUSHED:

What is this thread even about? Don’t you think torn banner and Tibberius crew of masterminds would know whats best for their game? You guys sound like some whiny elitist asshats. You guys are like 1% of the games population and torn banner wants to balance the game for everyone else, not some “competitive players” who abuse certain mechanics that barely anyone knows to stomp noobies. Feints were OP and you should make more decisions and should not have that much player control, its just unfair to new players. You SHOULD be punished for missing and limited in your actions, its realistic. The bubble is also a legitimate mechanic and good for the game, it made those unblockable onehander swings finally blockable and reduced the effectiveness of the overpowered facehug tactic.

Sadly that’s what typical CMW player thinks about “competitive players”.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

@CRUSHED:

What is this thread even about? Don’t you think torn banner and Tibberius crew of masterminds would know whats best for their game? You guys sound like some whiny elitist asshats. You guys are like 1% of the games population and torn banner wants to balance the game for everyone else, not some “competitive players” who abuse certain mechanics that barely anyone knows to stomp noobies. Feints were OP and you should make more decisions and should not have that much player control, its just unfair to new players. You SHOULD be punished for missing and limited in your actions, its realistic. The bubble is also a legitimate mechanic and good for the game, it made those unblockable onehander swings finally blockable and reduced the effectiveness of the overpowered facehug tactic.

Sadly that’s what typical CMW player thinks about “competitive players”.

So lets say they reverted to an old patch. All the 1% competitive players came back and joined the pub servers to decimate the newbies. Killing them basically 50 to 1 which is quite realistic.

The nubs playing leave because its not fun to be slaughtered. 1% of them stay.

So we go back down to 500 concurrent players - however there is a competitive scene !

Anything wrong with that picture from a business perspective?

Personally I think the competitive scene would grow if maps were added that made tactics and strategy more important. So scrims become a battle of brains and brawn.

• I felt the need to reply as this is the main problem I have with Chivalry and where it has gone.

I was here from the very beginning. Played Age of Chivalry (HL2 Mod) and backed Torn Banners sequel on kickstarter with a decent amount of cash, because I believed in this game. Got into the beta and put in over 180 hours before it was even released. (I even have a Mason Order T-Shirt; love it by the way)

I doubt anyone around here will even remember me now, as its been about a year. Than again some might. In short I’m a Youtuber. I was the first person on Youtube to upload gameplay for Chivalry, and at the time there was a forum topic dedicated to my videos as well as any others who uploaded Chivalry related content.

I played with the Devs during the beta quite regularly, and they themselves watched my videos for input and entertainment. Being called out in every match I joined by random players who subscribed to me and watched my content; being excited to play with me. It was genuinely a good time, every time I launched the game.

This game got me recognized by a very known Youtuber that goes by the name TotalBiscuit, and essentially launched my channel into what it is now. Getting me noticed by networks and eventually scored me a partnership.

So as you can tell, I have a special place in my heart for this game and am very passionate about it. So seeing where it has gone has pained me quite a bit.

I’ve gradually noticed over time how the game has become less about skill and more about accessibility and ease of learning the game. All the new mechanics which essentially break the games core values is what completely turned me away from the game.

I’m a pretty competitive individual. I would remember being able to take on groups of enemies at a time by myself and feeling a sense of pride knowing my skill allowed me to best my opponents regardless of being out numbered. I’ve discussed this with other youtubers and avid subscribers and we’ve all agreed the game has taken a turn for the worse.

I still play it from time to time and have fun with it. But I can’t make content for it anymore because I’ve effectively ran out of good things to say about the game because my overall impressions now are negative.

I really wish Torn Banners would open their eyes and revert the game back to what all the core player base that has been with them since the beginning loved; instead of watching them leave and move on to other games because of the decisions they made to implement new game mechanics which were completely unnecessary.

I’m just glad I’m not the only one who feels this way.
    End of rant.

• I have nothing to add that hasn’t already been said. But I would like to point out about balance by qouting Vq DoomyDoom

“Vq.| DoomyDoom: the only fun class to play is archer because he doesnt have to deal with melee as much
    Vq.| DoomyDoom: and when he does archer is best melee in the game besides maa”

Finally an honest archer. I have been saying pretty much since release that the archer is OP when you consider that they have both the added bonus of ranged kills, back stab bonus and the best melee in the game. Many players have quite playing because of these class imbalances on top of the dreaded bubble which I was among the first to say it was the dumbest idea to nerf a valid tactic by changing a game mechanic was the bubble.

• The one thing I find really wrong with this, how term “competitive” used. It can’t be used more wrong in this game. What the other players doing then? Do they join the game and don’t try to kill anyone? Those whole game is competition driven and you can’t just call a small group of people, mainly cause half of them are in clans, a competitive scene. I even heard some people say that not using feints makes someone not a competitive player, can they be more wrong. The point is nearly everyone is a part of a competitive scene, thats why you even see people under rank 10 speak as if they know something and get pissed if they lose. The people that many for some reason call “the competitive players” are actually just a really good players, does not make them the only freaking competitive players in the game. You either call them a good player or a pro.
    The patch that everyone hated and made everyone stop playing, am I the only one that actually liked that patch? The classes had no balance, the weapon balance was bad. Knight with sow, is all I have to say. There are some things I dislike about the patch and that would be the bubble. It works alright in front, but it sucks if you try to chase someone with short weapon.
    I don’t play chivalry myself that much anymore but thats cause I just spent a lot of time on it and some things there are really irritating.

• I play chiv a fair bit still.

It is a game I keep coming back to.

The Bubble patch sucked, well some of it did, some was OK. Removal of CFTP, adding the bubble to try and prevent facehugging plus some other bits and pieces removed complexity from the game. It made it easier to learn.
    In the attached image I try and illustrate the learning curve of a game.

Ideally you don’t want your learning curve leveling out. Unfortunately Chiv’s learning curve starts to level out comparatively early when compared to games like Dota. More weapons/maps/mechanics/classes and so on extend the learning curve and can also alter the shape. Different people like different phases of a curve.

In Dota for instance, the intial learning curve is steep, most can agree on that. Many people do not like that brutal beginning. Many persists though because after that curve it becomes reasonable and far more enjoyable, there friends get them through it and give reason to push past the initial learning.

Chiv on the other hand starts of simple. Pick any waepon and LMB it and you are bound to get kills and voices are easy to do maps are straight forward. Easy fun, then after a small bit of time you start learning the mechanics better, the complexity increases at a fairly reasonable rate. However it doesn’t take all that long to learn that each weapon is mechanically the same. LMB/Overhead/Stab they are just different speeds/ranges. So once you learn the maps better, you learn the different attacks, learn to parry/block reasonably and the different classes your learning curve starts to level out.
    What you have left are the deeper mechanics, stabbing around shields, effective dragging, good feinting, better grasp of weapon speeds and ranges.
    The problem here is, no new maps, no new classes, no new weapons. All the low hanging learning fruit is GONE and no more coming. Then CFTP for instance is taken away, CFTP was an advanced skill, well placed in the curve to keep learning at a reasonable pace, it is gone though.
    The Bubble came in, this reduces the finer skills needed to parry/block/manage close players. Another lowering of the curve.

I would wager, a large percentage of players don’t like the phase of the curve that is flattened out, the area the requires spending more time then previous to learn less skill (this is the art of perfecting skills). So by not adding new content AND removing late phase learning A LARGE majority of players have no incentive to continue playing.

• @Sciffer:

The point is nearly everyone is a part of a competitive scene, thats why you even see people under rank 10 speak as if they know something and get pissed if they lose. The people that many for some reason call “the competitive players” are actually just a really good players, does not make them the only freaking competitive players in the game.

Two different uses of the word competetive. To be a part of the competetive scene a player must

1. Be near the skillcap
    2. Play to be the best

You can even eliminated #1 if someone is really dedicated. Sure, everyone is competetive in the sense that everyone is trying to win. Most people aren’t really trying to be the best player/group of players, though. They just want to chop some heads.

@Toll:

Blah blah blah, and then that epic graph

Sweet graph. How’d you make it? Even if I do disagree on the shape of the curves. Also the way you have the axis set up kinda messes with people’s concept of a “learning curve”; usually when they say a steep learning curve it means you spend a lot of time on the game without much return in the way of skill, which is the opposite of what steep would be on your graphs.

• @Sciffer:

The most in accurate boring drivel I can post

Yes you are among the few that liked the killer patch. Fist off you entire analysis of what is considered competitive is beyond idiotic. The competitive scene involves organized effort for both scrims and tournament. You will not find this while pubbing. The competive scene has died down because the game mechanics are totally broken. You cannot rely on anything to be even semi accurate. Swings and parries fail more than 50% of the time while looking accurate on the players screen. This is what kills a competitive scene. The competitive scene is what keeps a game like this alive. By hosting servers, creating custom content, and basically going beserker on pubs. That makes pubbers say, damn those guys were good, I hate them but I want to be that good. Sadly the game mechanics were changed in the bubble patch to kill any skills required by time and learning.

Prior to the bubble patch I had earned every kill to be a rank 49. The bubble patch introduced the rank bug among all the other freaking bugs and side effects from the bubble to make the game only recreational at best. Most AOC veterans that kept AOC alive for 3 years waiting for Chiv, are all but gone because they were exhausted from 8 years of horrible development choices and patching making the game far from fun or enjoyable.

• Firstly I agree with this

ƒ| sk00ma: thats a pretty loaded question lol

And the next question “Would you say the game got overly simplified/boring?” is the most loaded question you could possibly ask.

This is what’s called “push polling” where the questions asked lead to the desired answers. I think the responses here are fairly accurate though.

Anyway getting to the heart of the matter I think the best thing to hope for is that TB will take some of the changes to combat they have made in DW and apply them to vanilla chivalry. This includes a major reduction in the bubble and flinch windows.

However I would not like to see vanilla Chivalry at DW run speed, it’s just a little too arcadey (although the Knight needs a speed increase).

Either that or the widespread adoption of some mod like Chivalry+.

• 1) What would you say is the biggest reason you don’t play chivalry as much as you did say a few months ago?

The patch.

2) Would you say the game got overly simplified/boring?

Add frustrating, stupid and clunky and you pretty much have it.

As I said in another thread, anyone intelligent that takes a critical step away from this game should see how poorly it’s put together. Once the “magic” of the concept wears thin, you’re left with a pretty sub-par product in terms of functionality, consistency and polish… especially when considering other titles created under the same engine.

The concept alone can only stand for so long without the support of the underlying game itself. The true fans and hard core players that dump several hundred hours into the game have moved beyond the concept and are now looking at the game itself: its features, its mechanics, its polish, etc. These are your competitive players, players who want to take the game to the next level.

So when one of those is completely changed and flipped on its head 9 months after release (mechanics) while the other two are consistently made worse with every consecutive patch (polish & features) it really doesn’t inspire a lot of confidence in the game or its developers. Every patch we get from TB makes this game run worse. I’ve not yet seen them fix a problem without creating another, and some of the things they choose to implement or change about the game are so mind numbingly stupid it makes me wonder how they created the base game in the first place.

The concept was enough for me to make almost a years worth of videos, which is a testament to how awesome of a concept Chivalry has/had going for it, but the underlying game is rotten, with several bugs, glitches, unoptimization, retarded balance and piss poor polish, not to mention the several developer mistakes committed by TB during the games lifespan. Outside of a miracle patch, there’s not much that would bring me back to Chivalry.

• @HEXEN:

Outside of a miracle patch, there’s not much that would bring me back to Chivalry.

For some reason I still have fun playing C:MW, but it’s not the same, not even close. Let me put it this way, I played ONLY C:MW for nearly a year. Patch hits and slowly I start to play other games (Yes I’m still playing chiv a lot, but I’m a Chiv nut). The fact that I’m playing other games says something. I went off on a tangent there; now about your quote… I would love for a miracle patch to happen, and my question is, why not? I understand a company picks a direction they want to take a game, then they stick to their guns, but what’s the harm? Could you really lose more players undoing the July patch than have been lost in the past few months as a result of that same patch? The way I see it, TBS has everything to gain and nothing to lose by undoing the June/July patch (w/e). :|

• Torn Banner shouldn’t have been listening to a bunch of lunatic weirdos for the designing of ZE PATCH OF APOCALYPSE OF DOOM OHNOZIQUIT!!! Why should they listen to another bunch of lunatic weirdos now?

• @parkrangerstan:

For some reason I still have fun playing C:MW, but it’s not the same, not even close. Let me put it this way, I played ONLY C:MW for nearly a year. Patch hits and slowly I start to play other games (Yes I’m still playing chiv a lot, but I’m a Chiv nut). The fact that I’m playing other games says something. I went off on a tangent there; now about your quote… I would love for a miracle patch to happen, and my question is, why not? I understand a company picks a direction they want to take a game, then they stick to their guns, but what’s the harm? Could you really lose more players undoing the July patch than have been lost in the past few months as a result of that same patch? The way I see it, TBS has everything to gain and nothing to lose by undoing the June/July patch (w/e). :|

I seriously doubt they’d change the game back. You have a whole slew of new players who found the game after they changed everything and are oblivious. It’s also obvious at this point, that TB aren’t very deft at developing solid updates.

At this point, it is what it is I think. I can tell you still love this game, just through your posting and the few times we’ve talked. As I said, the concept is still solid, and there are still things to like about this game for sure. But when you describe this game to someone new, or perhaps one of your friends, do you honestly mention shit like the customization or how fantastically the game has grown and improved?

I’m guessing you mention the combat, melee combat in a virtual environment. I’m guessing you mention the maps and how you get to burn houses and kill peasants for objectives. Perhaps you mention the weapons, or the different classes, but certainly not how they’re balanced :P

When I describe this game to people, I’m mentioning the SAME things that were good about it a year ago. THESE are the things TB, for some reason, strayed from. We only have 5 TO maps and the melee combat has been butchered, so to speak. They took their biggest selling point and feature, changed it, and then neglected to make more maps, except Citadel, which ran so poorly on most peoples machines that it emptied servers when it initially showed up in the rotation.

I wanted MORE out of this game. I wanted new things to like about it, things that could build on what was already there. I wanted smoother gameplay, more optimization, less bugs, more content. I instead got the reverse of that.

Imagine for a second if they had expanded on their combat mechanic instead of limiting it: They could introduce a new starting idle position, like La Poste Di Falcone as seen in the film Kingdom of Heaven. (Awesome avatar btw :P You better have the Directors cut of that movie because the theatrical was butchered by the studio)

This posture would give you access to different overhead strikes, maybe a bit quicker, but at the cost of very lengthy slash strikes, or perhaps lengthy combos when using slash strikes. Or just something, I don’t know. Expand on what makes the game unique, don’t ignore and butcher it.

Oh well, I more than got my value out of the game, even if it isn’t to my liking now. It wasn’t a bad run while it lasted, but I thought it could have been so much more.