The community and dueling

• Background:

I am Albért, I’m from the EU scene and have played 824 hours of Chivalry since last Christmas, I play knight with the messer and I mostly duel anymore. I decided to hop on to an official duel server because there wasn’t any too populated old duel servers at the time.

Here I played against a rank 10 shield user:

I used footwork in order to get around the shield and then I finished him with a kick to stun him.

Next up, a rank 20 MAA:

And I think he even had a shield? This is where I got enraged.

Rank 32 VG with claymore:

I don’t normally feint against the lower ranks but I did now as I was raging and he was using claymore, a weapon that many consider ‘OP’ due to it’s speed. And the weapon really is sometimes rage inducing.

This was all during the same evening. How do I ever please the inexperienced players? I have been told that every individual weapon and mechanic is OP in some way. Even sling. I know the game isn’t balanced around dueling but if nobody is ever happy I think there is something wrong with it. IMO the game has been ruined by “The Patch” and by players that still think more advanced mechanics that are still left are exploits.

• If you’re a douchebag in chat, that’s gonna bring out the douchebag in others.

• @Albert!:

How do I ever please the noobs?

You wreck them as hard as you can so they ragequit and uninstall. No mercy.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

@Albert!:

How do I ever please the noobs?

You wreck them as hard as you can so they ragequit and uninstall. No mercy.

You’re an asshole but you’re my kind of asshole. <3

• i got raped as knight last night, right after i raped an archer. one high ranking archer asked how i liked getting pwnd. i said “i got wreckt….like a little bitch. but oddly enough, i feel pretty”. i’ve found that i can laugh at how much i suck and the game is much more enjoyable to me. i decap often, and when i get owned, meh, i laugh it off. but yea, being douchy in chat seems to beget more douchebaggery.

• @LordBenedictIronclaw:

i got raped as knight last night, right after i raped an archer. one high ranking archer asked how i liked getting pwnd. i said “i got wreckt….like a little bitch. but oddly enough, i feel pretty”. i’ve found that i can laugh at how much i suck and the game is much more enjoyable to me. i decap often, and when i get owned, meh, i laugh it off. but yea, being douchy in chat seems to beget more douchebaggery.

When I kill the archer, I generally kill the knight as well. You aren’t enjoying it, you’re just deploying a social defense mechanism to excuse your failure. When you start winning every fight, that is when you truly enjoy the game.

• nah, i enjoy the game when i’m killing my opponents. i just don’t take this seriously like some people do. after all, it is a game, and i play it to kill time and have laughs.

• what can you do… people will always complain when they get killed. Ignore them and keep lopping heads with that Messer

• I can understand the rage against feinting. But kicking and dragging?

Still don’t abuse the noobs. It makes it worse

If someone feints people I feint them back. I don’t complain about it.

• You really shouldn’t call beginners “noobs”, that’s not nice. And you shouldn’t rape them so hard that they don’t even know what happened. A 180° overhead into delayed swing into dragged stab on a level 15 guy is just too much. He doesn’t know why his parry does not work on a dragged stab and thinks you cheat or the game is bugged. If I get into 1vs1 situations on TO with beginners and I have time I only do “normal” attacks.

But some people in this game are just argh… despicable and deserve everything coming to them.

I have a very strict feint policy. I only feint:

• feinters
    • very good MAAs that rely on dodging and are invulnerable otherwise
    • good shield knights to get a kick in (doesn’t work on very good shield knights though :P)

So today was there was a rank 40 maa. I killed him like 4-5 times in a TO round (it was only like 4vs4) when he starts to feint during our fifth fight. I think he made a hit but basically he just wasted his stamina. So I feint him for the killing strike and I already knew what would come next. In chat I read this: “nice feints noob”
    Seriously?
    You cry about feints after you started to use them?
    You call someone noob after he killed you 5 times in a row?
    I wonder what his thought process was when he wrote that.

@LordBenedictIronclaw:

nah, i enjoy the game when i’m killing my opponents. i just don’t take this seriously like some people do. after all, it is a game, and i play it to kill time and have laughs.

Don’t worry LordBenedictIronclaw, Mr. Trooper has clearly a case of losing touch with reality.

• I remember you. I killed you by dragging and you got mad the exact same fashion the little fuckers in your screen got mad. So don’t point other people behaviour. If you are a dick, everyone will be a dick in return.

• People are simply mad because everytime you die in this game you got outplayed, purely your own fault. Blaming it on opponents playstyle and tell him he’s a faggot/noob/exploiter is a nice excuse to release some anger.
    I always tell them to get real.

Also everytime I played Albért he didn’t rage in chat at all.

LOL at censorship. Welcome to Tornbannerian Union comrades.

• last time i dueled some guy kept typing that all i do is spam. saying “he’s a fucking noob all he does is spam”.

it’s weird how i would just parry his attacks and counter, or straight up just attack him. I guess doing damage to people is spam these days. People will say anything to make themselves feel better for losing over and over.

• @clayton-bigsby:

last time i dueled some guy kept typing that all i do is spam. saying “he’s a fucking noob all he does is spam”.

it’s weird how i would just parry his attacks and counter, or straight up just attack him. I guess doing damage to people is spam these days. People will say anything to make themselves feel better for losing over and over.

Holy shit I just had the exact same thing happen to me the other day. I wish I remembered the guys name.

• @Mouchoirsky:

I remember you. I killed you by dragging and you got mad the exact same fashion the little fuckers in your screen got mad. So don’t point other people behaviour. If you are a dick, everyone will be a dick in return.

Hey, I remember you too. You were using the zwei right? I didn’t exactly get mad, I think I said something like “awwh dragging, really?” Even if I did get mad, that was months ago.

@fvonb:

You really shouldn’t call beginners “noobs”, that’s not nice. And you shouldn’t rape them so hard that they don’t even know what happened. A 180° overhead into delayed swing into dragged stab on a level 15 guy is just too much. He doesn’t know why his parry does not work on a dragged stab and thinks you cheat or the game is bugged. If I get into 1vs1 situations on TO with beginners and I have time I only do “normal” attacks.

I actually did say sorry to them afterwards about calling them noobs. But I didn’t do any of that you said. There shouldn’t be a limit of what game mechanics to use when fighting certain leveled opponents or certain classes, that’s just stupid. If the game allows me to do so, why shouldn’t I? It’s not my fault.

• Hey, I remember you too. You were using the zwei right? I didn’t exactly get mad, I think I said something like “awwh dragging, really?” Even if I did get mad, that was months ago.

And what if I had answered back and took the screen of you raging, hum? Would get a nice thread like yours and say “Olol, this community is full of dipshit look at this kid raggin YOLO”, don’t you think?

• @fvonb:

You really shouldn’t call beginners “noobs”, that’s not nice. And you shouldn’t rape them so hard that they don’t even know what happened. A 180° overhead into delayed swing into dragged stab on a level 15 guy is just too much. He doesn’t know why his parry does not work on a dragged stab and thinks you cheat or the game is bugged. If I get into 1vs1 situations on TO with beginners and I have time I only do “normal” attacks.

But some people in this game are just argh… despicable and deserve everything coming to them.

I have a very strict feint policy. I only feint:

• feinters
    • very good MAAs that rely on dodging and are invulnerable otherwise
    • good shield knights to get a kick in (doesn’t work on very good shield knights though :P)

So today was there was a rank 40 maa. I killed him like 4-5 times in a TO round (it was only like 4vs4) when he starts to feint during our fifth fight. I think he made a hit but basically he just wasted his stamina. So I feint him for the killing strike and I already knew what would come next. In chat I read this: “nice feints noob”
    Seriously?
    You cry about feints after you started to use them?
    You call someone noob after he killed you 5 times in a row?
    I wonder what his thought process was when he wrote that.

@LordBenedictIronclaw:

nah, i enjoy the game when i’m killing my opponents. i just don’t take this seriously like some people do. after all, it is a game, and i play it to kill time and have laughs.

Don’t worry LordBenedictIronclaw, Mr. Trooper has clearly a case of losing touch with reality.

I’m with this guy right here. I usually try to adapt my tactics according to the skill of my opponent. And I think it’s the best way to play- I don’t need feints, drags, lookdowns and other shit to destroy most pub players- and if you fight “clean” it’s also far more enjoyable for the victim too- at least in that way they understand what mistakes they made and what killed them. Unlike when you use “dirty” tactics as I like to call them- like drags. Properly done those tactics can bypass what on the other player’s end would look like a legit parry. And I can’t blame them for raging against that.

Therefore, I will only use feints, drags, lookdowns and such if I observe someone else using them. In fact, I will throw every crooked tactic at my disposal to destroy said person, specifically if I observe them using it against new players.

I do, however, use kicks, ducks and jumps. I see those moves as legit, the tutorial teaches you the value of kicks and ducks/jumps are warned against on the loading screen tips. So even the new players should be somewhat aware of them.

• @Mouchoirsky:

And what if I had answered back and took the screen of you raging, hum? Would get a nice thread like yours and say “Olol, this community is full of dipshit look at this kid raggin YOLO”, don’t you think?

I honestly can’t remember raging at you. That was months ago. I made this thread because this happened to me in the same evening and I didn’t know if it was funny or sad that every other opponent raged at me.

• “Mimimi, stop using <whatever you=”" used="" to="" beat="" him="">!" is extremely common. Usually there is no need to argue or try to tell them how to get better because these people are just self-absorbed and “know” that they are highly skilled. They don’t want any real facts or your help to get better. They just want to believe that they are badass and only lost because somebody used some cheap trick.

Not using said “cheap tricks” does not help as they will find something else to cry about if you win. Just like a little child that throws a tantrum to win at a game. Ignore their cries maybe throw in some reasonable arguments/tips for others to learn from and use the information you got to your advantage. Thats right - if somebody complains about feinters or draggers you can easily beat him using feints or drags. Usually he won’t be able to play against this (thats why he complained in the first place) and he usually refuses to learn it by himself (thus fails in knowing his enemy) or how to counter it (because its “cheap” and its not his fault when he lost).

Whiny scrubs = easy prey. But please don’t tell them that they are or insult them. Thats rude. Better don’t use the word “noob” at all because people will pick it up and use it without even knowing what it means (no joke!).</whatever>

• @Evil:

“Mimimi, stop using <whatever you=”" used="" to="" beat="" him="">!" is extremely common. Usually there is no need to argue or try to tell them how to get better because these people are just self-absorbed and “know” that they are highly skilled. They don’t want any real facts or your help to get better. They just want to believe that they are badass and only lost because somebody used some cheap trick.</whatever>

Yep. People take the game far too seriously and just can’t handle losing. They are so proud and sure of themselves that losing a fight couldn’t be due to anything but trickery, hacking, exploiting, etc…

@trooper:

When I kill the archer, I generally kill the knight as well. You aren’t enjoying it, you’re just deploying a social defense mechanism to excuse your failure. When you start winning every fight, that is when you truly enjoy the game

Different people enjoy the game in different ways. I play it in small spurts to kill some time and get some good laughs. The game is hilarious to me, especially when my body goes flying from a ballista missle, or someone jabs me in my stones while I’m in mid air trying to jump over an attack, or hearing all the dramatic death sounds (the knight’s boisterous “AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA” is my fav). My fun factor comes from the game’s goofiness.

You sound like a strictly competitive player who has fun winning. Nothing wrong with that. But I wouldn’t go so far as to say someone is using a “social defense mechanism” to excuse his failure. If by this you mean he is trying to deflect any sort of humiliation, shame, or frustration from losing by choosing to have a more light hearted approach to the game, then yeah I suppose that’s one way you could put it. I don’t think it’s an excuse for failure. I think it’s probably the best attitude to have.

Don’t get me wrong; I enjoy winning. Seeing myself at the top of the scoreboard feels pretty good. Conquering an opponent of equal or greater skill feels pretty good, especially after a long 1v1. But at the end of the day it’s just a video game, designed solely for the purpose of entertaining. And to each his own.