Hilt Strike

• Thought of a cool, realistic strike type that could be added to certain weapons: a hilt strike (backend of the weapon). Does low damage and short range, but hits quickly: good for getting people who are all up in ur grill.

An equivalent could be thought of for weapons that aren’t given this; Single-handed swords, for instance, could allow the user to use their non-weapon hand to do a hook punch or something.

Two handed weapons without striking ability, such as longbows, could perhaps let the wielder to an elbow bash.

I’d sat it’s all fairly realistic and could add a very interesting element to gameplay. Thoughts?

• @Circle:

Thought of a cool, realistic strike type that could be added to certain weapons: a hilt strike (backend of the weapon). Does low damage and short range, but hits quickly: good for getting people who are all up in ur grill.

An equivalent could be thought of for weapons that aren’t given this; Single-handed swords, for instance, could allow the user to use their non-weapon hand to do a hook punch or something.

Two handed weapons without striking ability, such as longbows, could perhaps let the wielder to an elbow bash.

I’d sat it’s all fairly realistic and could add a very interesting element to gameplay. Thoughts?

A good idea, but I believe this has already been announced. If I recall correctly, one of the developers (I believe Tibberius) said that the game would feature shield bash or an equivalent for weapons without shield.

• Yes, but for all we know, that could be a simple shove rather than a hilt strike. I think the latter would be more interesting.

edit: Furthermore, the idea of the hilt strike would be less to push back your opponent and more to do a quick strike which would do a small amount of damage and perhaps interrupt their attack.

• @Circle:

Yes, but for all we know, that could be a simple shove rather than a hilt strike. I think the latter would be more interesting.

edit: Furthermore, the idea of the hilt strike would be less to push back your opponent and more to do a quick strike which would do a small amount of damage and perhaps interrupt their attack.

You’re right, but I kind of expect shield bash to look quite exactly like what you just described :P. Low damage, short range, good speed. I would find it strange if the bash would be no more than a simple push.

• I guess we’ll just have to wait and find out :)

• I like this good going circle!

• Shield users will have shields bashes and non-shield users will have equivalent actions available to them in order open up players to additional attacks or push them back if they get too close.

• @Blaine:

Shield users will have shields bashes and non-shield users will have equivalent actions available to them in order open up players to additional attacks or push them back if they get too close.

So in other words, not really what I was talking about.

• If there’s damage involved, I’d say it would be pretty similar.

• just an interesting addition to this idea:

If you hilt strike your enemy from behind, it will stun them for a considerable ammount of time, giving you the opportunity to escape from a foolish opponent(who turned around with their fancy spinning), or aid an ally in distress. I know this game isn’t a stealth game, but it could also be useful for when you are moving into an enemy base, where it would give you a definite advantage to deal great ammounts of damage to unsuspecting enemies(where you stun then stab).

• Developer

There will be no “fancy spinning” this time around. The completely redesigned movement system encourages you to stay faced towards your opponent keeping an eye on him at all times. Turning and running will see you die as a coward - the way it should be!

• oh good.

• If i was close up with a sword, I would just punch normally, crossguard prong –-> face = blind.
    I mean it’s at the center of gravity, it is a thin metal cylinder often with pointed decorative ends. I would just make use of my impromptu tonfa, and let my opponent lift his sword over his head, removing all posibility of a block, to try and hit me with the pommel. Take a look at a Tonfa, it is basicly a broadsword hilt, most even have a pommel where you would expect it.
    So that is how I would use a sword if the blade was out of the picture.