Needed: low game settings fog fix. [PIC]

• Here is the problem. It is bad enough if you have a potato for a PC and have to go and tweak you INI settings to get the game to even play at a decent FPS. Just check out my many tweak and optimization threads if you are strugging with FPS. But it sucks to be even more punished by the games shitty fog table when you are forced to play with low setting. Visual range is greatly reduced when playing in low settings. I have looked and tried to turn down the fog or even minimize it for low settings. Maybe I am wrong here in that the fog helps the FPS on low settings by not forcing the PC to render that far. Either way a low setting optimizations would be and are much needed. Any ideas for turning down the fog.

• Fog is generally there to raise FPS. Used mostly in older games.

Though it’ll be nice to have an option for those with low spec PC’s.

• The whole point is to reduce your visual range because this way there are much less objects/textures/effects to draw for your PC.

As an alternative you could get the good old fog of war which simply cuts your vision at a certain distance. Which wouldn’t give you that much of an advantage (maybe telling foes from friends at high distance) while looking even worse.

And it wouldn’t help you shooting this Archer behind the enemies line who got this monster PC that grants him vision far beyond yours. The only thing that would help here is a wallhack - that only shows players but no other objects or textures.

• @Evil:

The whole point is to reduce your visual range because this way there are much less objects/textures/effects to draw for your PC.

Well sort of. Usually Fog decreases fps because of how it is rendered. Everything behind the fog is still being rendered, the fog is an effect. Most tutorials in level design instruct to use fog tables vary sparingly because of how it hits both the CPU and the GPU, specially if it is a moving fog table.

As someone who has done level design since Quake2, fog generation is usually costly in FPS, again Lemon is filled with ignorance. Thus the ability to lower or reduce the fog would help greatly. There are skyrim mods that actually replace the fog color and density with lighter colors and transparencies which improve visual range and FPS.

There would be no need for a wall hack as that is not really applicable in the case of the fog because it is not a texture on a wall but an environment element based on color, density, location, height, and movement. Because of this, you can see the radical difference of how it is rendered between high and low end settings. Clearly the color and density rob the low end user in both viewable range and FPS.

What is needed is a client side way of reducing the density and color for low end users. This is what I have requested, if there are any possible tweaks to help out. I have already tried turning off fogvolume to no avail in every ini file I could find it in. The game wants to render clear but something overrides the INI and after a few seconds of map load the fog is rendered.

• Well it all depends how the fog is rendered.

• @lemonater47:

Well it all depends how the fog is rendered.

Nope fog always creates less fps.

• The fog itself is probably a particle effect and as such does decrease performance somewhat. On the other side it hides objects and textures that don’t need to be rendered and as such increases performance a lot.

So the option you are searching for is “no fog, stuff just disappears if too far away”? My guess is that this would look incredibly ugly while only marginally increasing performance over “fog, stuff disappears if too far away”.

• It’s not really hiding anything though. You can still see the walls and whatnot in the background.

• @dudeface:

It’s not really hiding anything though. You can still see the walls and whatnot in the background.

if you are an archer or on the catapult/ballista you basically cannot see past the bridge, maybe 50 yards. Even worse is that you cannot tell what team a player is on at that range and beyond while you can if you have a monster PC that can run at full settings. This is really a game breaker because you cannot make accurate shots with either. Trust me on this one because that is what it looks like for me to get the game to run at an acceptable FPS with all my tweaks.

• You call that a game ‘breaker’? Hardly. A game breaker is a crash to desktop every 10 mins or something.

This is more so an annoyance, one that for about $200 can be fixed. A new CPU does wonders for this game, or even overclock.

Seriously though, sometimes when you have a potato for a PC you just have to deal with the fact you can’t play the game at it’s best FPS, no matter your settings.

I remember playing in CS 1.6 comps on a 14inch monitor with a pretty crap PC whilst my clan buddies played on 21inch monsters with nice FPS. I kept up though, we played in national and international finals. You just have to accept it, or go deliver pamphlets or mow a stack of peoples lawns or whatever it is kids do these days to earn a few $'s and upgrade.

• @Marcrycroft427:

@lemonater47:

Well it all depends how the fog is rendered.

You must be new to games. Have you not played older titles. Fog was there to lower draw distance to increase FPS. Off the top of my head tony hawks pro skater in all of them I think.

• @Toll:

You call that a game ‘breaker’? Hardly. A game breaker is a crash to desktop every 10 mins or something.

This is more so an annoyance, one that for about $200 can be fixed. A new CPU does wonders for this game, or even overclock.

Seriously though, sometimes when you have a potato for a PC you just have to deal with the fact you can’t play the game at it’s best FPS, no matter your settings.

I remember playing in CS 1.6 comps on a 14inch monitor with a pretty crap PC whilst my clan buddies played on 21inch monsters with nice FPS. I kept up though, we played in national and international finals. You just have to accept it, or go deliver pamphlets or mow a stack of peoples lawns or whatever it is kids do these days to earn a few $'s and upgrade.

Well I am glad that you think that to upgade is acceptable when this machines and others runs other UDK games and so many other titles just fine. Assuming that $200 would cover it and that I am not already overclocked just for this game is simply ignorant. Please inform me what $200 piece of hardware would fix it. If you have even remotely looked at the tech support threads even players with i7s are having problems with frame rates and graphics because the game is poorly designed and optimized.

Some thing as simple as fog being overbearing is quite clear in the pic above and asking for someone with more knowledge about a potential tweak is not out of the question. I post up all of my tweaks to help others and they have allowed many to be able to actually play this game.

• @lemonater47:

You must be new to games. Have you not played older titles. Fog was there to lower draw distance to increase FPS. Off the top of my head tony hawks pro skater in all of them I think.

UGh…… this is from this page if you actually care to educate yourself but here is the last two headings about UDK fog. They basically try and tell the designers to be careful about the costs of fog and how to get the cheapest least costly. found here: http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/FogVolumes.html There is more information for you so that you can understand how the shaders work. Sadly I have not been able to fix this problem, client side.

I really hate it when people say to drop a shit ton of money and upgrade or that these kind of problems are acceptable……

Performance Implications

A fog volume is more expensive than a single layer of translucency in general, but a fog volume is much cheaper than 10’s of layers of translucency with the same material and screen area. When replacing particle effects with a fog volume, use the shader complexity viewmode to get an idea of the relative cost.

There is a some overhead involved for each fog volume that is rendered, even if it only covers a single pixel of the screen or is completely behind opaque objects. For this reason it’s better to have one large fog volume than many small ones, if they occupy the same volume. Note that the fog volume mesh can be any closed mesh so it is often possible to use a single fog volume in a twisted tunnel while still having complete control over where the fog starts and stops.

Fog Volumes use complex pixel shaders and several passes to get the final result, so they are completely pixel shader bound. This means that on most platforms having very high poly fog volumes will not affect performance at all. It also means that fog volumes with a lot of overdraw (overlapping frontfaces and backfaces) will have the worst performance.

The simpler fog functions run faster than the most expensive ones, for example the constant density function is about 2 times faster than the spherical density function. Try to use the simplest fog function possible.

Every pixel in the fog volume actor will have the same cost, regardless of how it ends up being fogged, so you should be careful to use the smallest mesh possible. For example with the spherical density function, no fog will be applied outside of the sphere, but if the mesh is larger than the sphere those unfogged pixels will still cost as much as the fogged ones. Resize the mesh to bound the sphere function as closely as possible. With the automatic setup method the sphere mesh will bound the sphere function automatically.

Use a fog sheet (See Volumetric Lighting Guide) instead of a fog volume if your use case meets all of these criteria:

The number of overlapping fog sheets is small
    The camera can’t ever go into the fog, or you don’t mind the fog fading out when you would have been inside of it
    Translucency doesn’t intersect the fog, or the artifacts are not noticeable

In this case a fog sheet will be cheaper and provide more flexibility than a fog volume, since you can map any noise texture onto the fog sheet.

Best Practices

Fog Volumes are best used for small to medium effects, since they can only approximate intersecting translucency and don’t support nesting. Use HeightFog layers or some other method for level-wide fogging, and Fog Volumes for volumetric effects around lights or contained to parts of the level.

By default, if you add in an environmental effect it will cost more FPS than without it, period. Used correctly the cost can be reduced greatly. Clearly the effect on the low end player when done incorrectly can be disastrously unfair in visibility. The pic above does not lie.

• If you have even remotely looked at the tech support threads even players with i7s are having problems with frame rates and graphics because the game is poorly designed and optimized.

Cool, I have. I’ve even put in lots of information to help people over time.

i7’s should not be a bottleneck in this game, unless you are trying to get 70fps constant on full 32 player Arena servers, then maybe.

I’m running a phenom 955BE oc’d to 3.4 from 3.2 and that made a huge change. I still haven’t bothered to by an after market cooler to push it up to 4ghz which should eliminate my bottleneck. I have a 560ti that isn’t reaching capacity at all due to the CPU. You can use STAT UNITGRAPH in console to get an idea of where your PC is having issues.
    So my 955BE at 3.4ghz with 560ti gets about 60fps on a 16player FFA server. It starts to fall down at around 20 people. At 3.2ghz it struggled with 16players getting 30-40fps and dipping below that often, with microstutters also. So boosting it to 4.0ghz should allow it to play 32 player servers.

Here is Australia you can buy a fx 6300 for $120 and a motherboard for $40, or spend $180 for an fx-8320. Both of these offer a significant boost to my 955be, then overclock those and yeah no problems.

I did throw a guess that you are CPU bound, but you may not be. At any rate, if you are struggling to play this game on minimum settings then an upgrade is probably in order. A few weeks of work and you can buy an upgrade surely.

• I have similar stats.
    Intel quad core duo 2500 OC to 3000
    evga 560ti OC
    6 gigs of ram

There is really no affordable CPU upgrade for this mobo and here in the states it aint that cheep for new mobo, cpu, and ram. Besides it is only a potato with chiv and 22 players or more with all my tweaks engaged.

Again I am looking for a client side tweak to remove or to turn down the fog for both fps improvement and visibility.

The micro stutter, there is no real fix I have found across many UDK games that have the same problems even with high end users.

• Minecraft uses… well not exactly fog, but a fog-like effect to reduce texture drawing distances.

But back on-topic: I’m pretty sure that if there would be anyone who can make a fix for this, it would be you.

Not the most constructive post, but hey, at least it’s not a lie.

• @Retsnom:

@dudeface:

It’s not really hiding anything though. You can still see the walls and whatnot in the background.

if you are an archer or on the catapult/ballista you basically cannot see past the bridge, maybe 50 yards. Even worse is that you cannot tell what team a player is on at that range and beyond while you can if you have a monster PC that can run at full settings. This is really a game breaker because you cannot make accurate shots with either. Trust me on this one because that is what it looks like for me to get the game to run at an acceptable FPS with all my tweaks.

Sorry, I meant that it wasn’t hiding anything from being rendered (i.e. not providing any performance boost). I guess it could be reducing some texturing but I dunno the specifics. It’s obviously a visual mess, for sure.

• well surprisingly the console command Show Fog will toggle fog on and off if you do it in CREATE GAME but it has been disabled for online play. Through my testing thus far with fog off, there is a slight FPS increase. It is kind of cool to see what battle grounds looks like without the fog. Quite a difference, the map looks like a bright sunny day. Now if I can only figure out a way to get it to toggle fog in online play it would be great.

• @Retsnom:

well surprisingly the console command Show Fog will toggle fog on and off if you do it in CREATE GAME but it has been disabled for online play. Through my testing thus far with fog off, there is a slight FPS increase. It is kind of cool to see what battle grounds looks like without the fog. Quite a difference, the map looks like a bright sunny day. Now if I can only figure out a way to get it to toggle fog in online play it would be great.

Don’t see a problem with enabling it for online play though.

• Honestly, there seems to be a problem with the graphics settings in general. You have about 4 lighting options that don’t do anything unless depth of field is turned on. If it is turned off, all the lighting effects get turned off with it. And with that, you get the low graphics fog as well. All depth of field should do is make it blurry surrounding your focal point taking into account range as well. Typically I turn this off in games, as it just detracts from your ability to see clearly. You already have depth of field with your eyes, you are just doubling it with a setting. Can’t turn it off in this game because it turns off every other setting as well when you do so.

I guess this should probably have it’s own topic though.

Edit: After toying with the options some more, just some general work needs to be done here. Game gets confused every time you save settings.