Is it really so hard???

• What is the point of having a pavise shield, if it fucking randomly breaks everytime! I don’t remember when it lasted more than a minute… I just breaks… sometimes right after I deploy it… It seems that it breaks whenever someone throws a fire pot (not into the shield but anywhere else in map)… but sometimes it’s triggered by a minor collision… So is it really that hard, TB, i mean… really?

Getting stuck to a player in mid air is also a bug impossible to fix?

Oh… And yes, if an archer shoots an arrow and then dies… It’s completely normal that the arrow dissapears… because the arrow is a part of the archer so it dies with him… [facepalm]

Same thing happens with throwables…fire pot just hangs in mid air if MAA dies (still makes sound). [facebash into a table]

Javelin disappears with a headshot. I assume it kinda morphs with the helmet aaaaand it’s gone… That’s completely normal, right?

Also, I don’t see how you “fixed” join through steam in previous patch… Well at least the game doesn’t crash anymore when trying to connect through steam… That fixing, right? So congrats…

But wait… there is now an orange TB flag in the menu… I’m sure that took you a lot of time, so you couldn’t focus on the bugs.

I mean come on, TORN BANNER… With each patch you “fix” some bugs that don’t even need fixing and create a few more… I could go on and on… But why bother… You’re probably not gonna work on it anymore… And that is sad, cuz the game has a lot of potential…

• OH COME ON
    SP_9zH9Q44o

• Is it really so hard to use a pavise correctly?

• He has some valid points…some. Don’t hate.

• Who’s hating? I’m attacking one of his invalid points. He’s bitching at Torn Banner about the pavise but doesn’t have a clue how it works.

• @Karasu:

Is it really so hard to use a pavise correctly?

How are you supposed to use it correctly, then?

• @dudeface:

@Karasu:

How are you supposed to use it correctly, then?

Keep it on your back. Turn around and look up to reload. It’s portable cover for reloading. Placing it just isn’t effective.

• Ok so that’s not really a valid point, then. You’re supposed to be able to place it but you can’t because it’s so amazingly fragile.

• @dudeface:

Ok so that’s not really a valid point, then. You’re supposed to be able to place it but you can’t because it’s so amazingly fragile.

You can place it. But even if it wasn’t fragile placing it is still not the most effective way of using it. Youre better off keeping it on your back while reloading and only exposing your head when shooting.

• @Karasu:

Who’s hating? I’m attacking one of his invalid points. He’s bitching at Torn Banner about the pavise but doesn’t have a clue how it works.

I’m not singling you out :D . I’m saying I’m shocked that everyone is treating him like a child and not giving constructive responses when, he does in fact, have some valid points. But since you bring it up, yes, your reply was rude and nonconstructive when you consider the answer to your question is clearly yes, it is for him. You can attack his “invalid” point by forming a substantial argument rather than belittling him. OR better yet, you can explain to him how YOU would properly use the pavise. :)

• Pavise is broken it very rarely stays. Enough said.

Javelin disappears with a headshot. I assume it kinda morphs with the helmet aaaaand it’s gone… That’s completely normal, right?

I think that one might actually be a feature of it breaking. Other projectiles do it too. It hits a very hard surface. I mean its got to go through a helmet and skull. Projectiles break on other surfaces too.

Though I don’t know it could be a bug. But it could easily be passed off as a feature.

• For the record - my picture post was in full support of the OP.
    “You’re in my world now, Grandma” may have been too tangential a reference though.

Pavise is broke.
    It’s also ridiculous to have archers running around with a 7 foot shield on their back. That may be how you transported the shield to the battle site, but you didn’t keep it on your back in combat - that would be stupid.

• @Karasu:

Its almost impossible because it blows up constantly. The correct use for the Pavise is to provide cover for you and your teammates. You cannot do that. Especially not the latter as it seems your Pavise is magically linked to your lifeforce*. Keeping it on your back is not the correct use.

Also the Pavise should be immune to ranged attacks just like other shields (it is when on the Archers back).

*The most simple solution to “the guy who placed it will respawn soon” but it really hurts its tactical value. I would rather have it staying there until destroyed while the owner spawns without but can get a second one after the first is destroyed.

• @parkrangerstan:

@Karasu:

Who’s hating? I’m attacking one of his invalid points. He’s bitching at Torn Banner about the pavise but doesn’t have a clue how it works.

I’m not singling you out :D . I’m saying I’m shocked that everyone is treating him like a child and not giving constructive responses when, he does in fact, have some valid points. But since you bring it up, yes, your reply was rude and nonconstructive when you consider the answer to your question is clearly yes, it is for him. You can attack his “invalid” point by forming a substantial argument rather than belittling him. OR better yet, you can explain to him how YOU would properly use the pavise. :)

Everyone’s treating him like a child because he’s acting like one. Look at the original post again. His tone isn’t promoting a thread for substantive discussion.

If someone criticizes the pavise like Dudeface did then that’s cool. But if you make fun of Torn Banner when you don’t even know how to use the pavise then you’re going to get ridiculed.

@Evil:

@Karasu:

Its almost impossible because it blows up constantly. The correct use for the Pavise is to provide cover for you and your teammates. You cannot do that. Especially not the latter as it seems your Pavise is magically linked to your lifeforce*. Keeping it on your back is not the correct use.

Also the Pavise should be immune to ranged attacks just like other shields (it is when on the Archers back).

*The most simple solution to “the guy who placed it will respawn soon” but it really hurts its tactical value. I would rather have it staying there until destroyed while the owner spawns without but can get a second one after the first is destroyed.

A good crossbowman only shows their head when shooting most of the time. So when he wants to reload, all he has to do is turn around and look up with the pavise on his back and he is immune to projectiles (Since he’s only showing his head or upper body the environment protects his otherwise exposed feet you see). This is quicker and more effective than placing the pavise and is thus the correct way of using the pavise.

• You cannot reload a crossbow while looking up (in Chivalry its only possible because of an unfixed bug). Thus reloading with the pavise on your back exposes your butt while your pavise doesn’t protect much. And even if the pavise does protect your back it also acts as a big sign saying “shoot here”. It increases your visibility a lot making it harder to shoot out of cover unnoticed.

The “correct use” you are promoting is actually the “workaround use” avoiding and using the common bugs of this setup. This doesn’t make it more correct but only shows the gravity of those bugs. The correct use is providing semi-mobile cover.

• @Evil:

You cannot reload a crossbow while looking up (in Chivalry its only possible because of an unfixed bug). Thus reloading with the pavise on your back exposes your butt while your pavise doesn’t protect much. And even if the pavise does protect your back it also acts as a big sign saying “shoot here”. It increases your visibility a lot making it harder to shoot out of cover unnoticed.

The “correct use” you are promoting is actually the “workaround use” avoiding and using the common bugs of this setup. This doesn’t make it more correct but only shows the gravity of those bugs. The correct use is providing semi-mobile cover.

Post a dev confirmation that it is indeed a bug and you might have an argument.

• This - kinda. It shows how the Crossbow was intended to be used. You can also tell it from the animation and the way you reload crossbows in reality (which features the same movement without the ability to look up).

• @Evil:

This - kinda. It shows how the Crossbow was intended to be used. You can also tell it from the animation and the way you reload crossbows in reality (which features the same movement without the ability to look up).

Do you wanna give me a time that it happens? I’m not gonna sit through a 14 minute video for something that “kinda” proves your point. Also the game isn’t based on realism. Get that shit out of here.

• About 12 minutes in - you can also hold your mouse over the bar and look where a crossbow appears (thats how I found it). The video also features an older Pavise bug (seems like its afraid of the player - or the future to come for it).

@Karasu:

Also the game isn’t based on realism. Get that shit out of here.

The game was advertised and clearly intended to feel (movie-)realistic. Its not a simulation but willing suspense of disbelief only brings you that far. If you call your game “Medieval Warfare” people expect “Medieval Warfare” not “Some Game with Swords” (though it seems some people expected “Gladiator Duels”). Similar if you call an item “Pavise Shield” people expect a Pavise shield and not a turtle shell.

In case of the crossbow reload I am not arguing with realism (its totally fine if you can reload your crossbow while looking wherever you want) but by the presence of an animation that looks suspiciously like the one in the second video and the fact that the guys in the first video didn’t look up (as they would if it was an intended feature). I can’t think of another reason save “annoying players by just putting their vision somewhere else because we can”.

So if its not a bug I hereby suggest the removal of the unnecessary lookdown, giving people the control about whether they want to keep their heads down. :-D