Where are the Ammo Boxes?

• Well, I do have a reason to ask this. I just registered on this forum specifically to ask this, in fact.

I’ve been playing the deadliest warrior beta lately, and one thing that I’ve noticed very early on is the lack of ammo crates or similar. Now while I can understand that camping them is bad, and that people should not be able to stand next to them to spam a certain thing, the lack of them means that unless you pick a ranged item that you can pick up and re-use you will essentially be forced to suicide in order to be on even grounds once you use up your secondary items.

Personally, I believe that having to die in order to be most effective goes against the spirit of this sort of game. Ammo boxes would work perfectly well if they were spaced out evenly, as long as they had a universal timer that is unique to each player in re-stocking. So if a ninja wanted fresh smoke bombs, he would need to wait a good 30 seconds perhaps after throwing them, and only be able to restock one if he threw the second 20 seconds ago instead. This would make builds that rely on elements other than shuriken, throwing daggers, ETC, more viable. To be clear, they are viable now in my opinion, but for skilled players (which I sometimes can be, though generally not) having to die just to have full effectiveness in a game like this seems just pointless.

In short, I’m wondering why the decision to remove them was made. Was it to prevent people going to boxes slowing down the flow of gameplay? Because I see people having to die at a disadvantage, and then run all the way back to the battlefield as being equally, if not more effective at stopping the action. Was the reason to prevent certain things from being spammed? Properly implemented timers and systems could prevent this from being an issue, and the issue of it slowing down combat too much could be fixed by the ammo boxes being frequent throughout the battlefield and therefore quick to access. Perhaps accessing them could require you to go through some animation of grabbing things out of it, leaving you open to attack if you try to use them in the middle of combat? A few seconds or so would be perfectly fine as far as that is concerned.

Well that wasn’t as short as I expected. I tried to search for this beforehand, but did not find much. What was the reasoning behind this change, and in not taking the chance to improve upon the system in chivalry, where ammo boxes were shared amongst everyone and thus prone to being camped?

• Well I expected just another guy whining for no reason but I see we share the opinion about this.

On one hand - infinite spam, on the other - having to die just to get that spear/hatchet back just because one managed to toss it out of map/ into one’s shield. It doesn’t feel right that players extraordinary good at killing people by using the full array of equipment they brought to be punished for every time they make a mistake and for being so good and not dying.

I’d say a single or two ammo boxes per map, with a long timer for each individual would indeed make sense. On the other hand, how many of those that manage to live so long to have this problem is there? I know I found myself with only my Norse sword, without my shield and hatchets quite a few times but usually died in the next encounter, whether because I lacked equipment or not, is unknown to me.

• @Martys:

Well I expected just another guy whining for no reason but I see we share the opinion about this.

On one hand - infinite spam, on the other - having to die just to get that spear/hatchet back just because one managed to toss it out of map/ into one’s shield. It doesn’t feel right that players extraordinary good at killing people by using the full array of equipment they brought to be punished for every time they make a mistake and for being so good and not dying.

I’d say a single or two ammo boxes per map, with a long timer for each individual would indeed make sense. On the other hand, how many of those that manage to live so long to have this problem is there? I know I found myself with only my Norse sword, without my shield and hatchets quite a few times but usually died in the next encounter, whether because I lacked equipment or not, is unknown to me.

I admit that it wouldn’t affect most players to have ammo boxes or similar. The reason I think there should be a lot of boxes is to avoid situations where people are camping them (especially if they share a timer). Essentially, making them things that you can use whenever you are out of combat with a minor detour, but with a substantial cooldown and perhaps animation or time while getting things out of them in which you are vulnerable.

So yeah, it isn’t a major issue. I just don’t see any downsides to doing this, other than time invested of course in re-designing a part of the game, and think it could provide a benefit to gameplay if done right.