Unlocks for pirate feedback

• @magilla:

As it is a beta, even the unlocking system is something which needs to be tested.

Well I figured that I’ll do my part on that topic. The levelling/unlocking system seems fine, besides the obvious problems with the data not shoving properly and other problems that most likely being addressed just about now. I however have some objections to what weapons are unlocked to pirate and when. Now I’m not a good pirate player, I never really liked them since I despise their pistol spam and shotgun attitude. I played them for several games just to see how they feel, drinking rum and trying to shoot people while seeing double is indeed fun but once I got serious I’ve had some problems.

What I learned is that the only weapons pirate has as starters is the pistole, shank and boarding axe. Now I already mentioned my stance on the pistole. The shank is cool but I don’t exactly trust its slashes and overheads and it’s really short, for someone who always had problem with short weapons this is quite unpleasant. I naturally got some kills, mostly on ninjas and other weaker classes. But most of the time the one standing against me was a knight and it didn’t really feel like the shank did anything to him, the other times I was overwhelmed by two or more enemies. The boarding axe is indeed good too, powerful and somehow quick but again very short, and I really have problems timing it so that I stand close enough just when the tracers are around the target.

Now there isn’t much point to play melee pirate with both the shank and boarding axe, as having two short and quick weapons doesn’t much appeal to me, as such it feels like I’m forced playing him ranged. The first unlock is the fricking blunderbuss which is crap, I can imagine that some people manage to get a insta-kill with it but I don’t have the guts to let the enemy get that close, so again forced to have the pistole. And finally on level 6 I believe the cutlass which is finally a decend range weapon that I felt a bit confident to fight with.

What I think is that the starter weapons should be either a sabre or cutlass + the boarding axe ( and pistole, whatever). The shank being one of the later unlocks as it is a weapon that really is only appealing those that are, let’s say badass.

tl;dr : Everyone has their playstyle, don’t force people to suffer using weapons that does not suit them until lvl 6. A fair range weapon for some, a short range range weapon for others straight from level 0.

• @Martys:

tl;dr : Everyone has their playstyle, don’t force people to suffer using weapons that does not suit them until lvl 6. A fair range weapon for some, a short range range weapon for others straight from level 0.

If they’re just starting out on the class how would they know what playstyle they would like?
    I actually kinda like how it has you use specific weapons you might not have used before. You might end up liking them!

but then if the majority doesn’t care for it I won’t be sad if unlocking was gone

• @BB:

@Martys:

If they’re just starting out on the class how would they know what playstyle they would like?

Good point, thing is that in my case I know what I like from playing other classes.

And I was never against unlocking, I just want two different weapons rather two that have more or less the same stats to start with. A cutlass and boarding axe.