Parry box too big now on shields

• well yeah parry box is too big after this patch shields can block from sides from behind and are almost impossible to get around, every random joe became a spongebob with this patch

spartan shield is ridicoulus and kite shield aswell

• Agreed. Wouldn’t make it past the tutorial in MW with these shields.

• aren’t all parry and blocking hitboxes still the same size as each other?

are you sure “parry box reliability” means bigger parry boxes?

• it doesnt mean that the parry box is bigger but its too much now in general…

• @CRUSHED:

every random joe became a spongebob with this patch

lmao

• Yeah, you dont even need to aim your shield to block, it blocks everything from anywhere anyway.

• @CRUSHED:

it doesnt mean that the parry box is bigger but its too much now in general…

lol what does that mean?

I dunno, I’d like to hear exactly what was done with the parries before thinking something should be done about them

• Shields are fucked in general, try using the viking shield press RMB to block it dosent even bother popping up and half the time, you also cant block a spear hitting the middle of it. Try hitting some people in the back and they can block it? this is the same issue with weapon blocking aswell and the poor hit detection.

• Shields and ranged weapons are cancer of this game.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

Shields and ranged weapons are cancer of this game.

Hey what’s wrong with shields? The fact that they are the only defence against feints and that they cause you to be vulnerable to a kick seems fair enough to me, and as someone mentioned their parry hitbox is no larger than normal parry hitbox.

• What do you mean only defence against feints? I can defend just fine without shields

But thats not the topic here

shields are ridicoulus atm almost no way to get around them without a kick

• @CRUSHED:

And considering current fast-dancy flow of the battle, kicking is most of the time a death sentence because it immobilize your character - making you an easy target.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

@CRUSHED:

And considering current fast-dancy flow of the battle, kicking is most of the time a death sentence because it immobilize your character - making you an easy target.

Never really had that problem, most times it’s that I just timed it wrong, but if you time it right you get a one full free hit which in most cases is quite devastating.

Also, not sure how you coop with feints but I should specify it, it is the only really reliable defence against feints.

• @Martys:

it is the only really reliable defence against feints.

ugh no, stop.

• @CRUSHED:

@Martys:

it is the only really reliable defence against feints.

ugh no, stop.

Yes, this approach naturally convinced me that I am wrong and that your thesis is right. I hereby stand defeated by your superior arguments backed up by stone-strong facts and yield.

Now for real. This change is most likely tb’s answer to this issue: viewtopic.php?f=103&t=23847
    Now if we ignore the fact that you stated that you @CRUSHED:

dont care if this gets fixed i dont use shields :D

mister CRUSHED, I am going to say only this, inspired by what mister BB said:
    It is working as intended, if you can’t hit people from behind it is because you stand wrong and your tracers hit the shield before the body. The sword tracer is hitting the shield’s hitbox.

I see no problem here, if you fight head on and don’t use any shady tactics then thing’s should stay the same for you, hits that should have been parried will be parried and hits that should have gotten through will get through. I had no problems getting around viking’s shield with the javelin, I can imagine that with swords there could be a problem due to how the tracers work but as BB explained, that’s how the game works, if you stand far enough it should get through.

Of course if you fight shady then it is only good that these attempts are now hampered by this more reliable parry hitbox.

• I can still use that bug to go trough shields

thats not what the thread is about man

• @Martys:

It is working as intended, if you can’t hit people from behind it is because you stand wrong and your tracers hit the shield before the body. The sword tracer is hitting the shield’s hitbox.

Coming at a guy from behind with his shield up should be a hit, especially if it’s an overhead or a stab. Sometimes it’s not. That shit is annoying in MW and it’s annoying here. Do I really need to second guess myself when I’m gunning for the butt? 8-)

• @omg87:

@Martys:

Coming at a guy from behind with his shield up should be a hit, especially if it’s an overhead or a stab. Sometimes it’s not. That shit is annoying in MW and it’s annoying here. Do I really need to second guess myself when I’m gunning for the butt? 8-)

Yes indeed but that is how the game works, and I can’t really come up with a solution that would not break other mechanics or make an opportunity for exploits. This is going to have to be the lesser evil. Stabs or hits with the very end of your weapon should still hit though.

• Shields are completely messed up right now.

You can actually attack someone with a raised shield from behind, and they will still block you.

• I actually like this, but that’s mainly because I’m really hoping to see more alternate playstyle’s in chiv besides aggressive ones. However I think it’s a bit to early to be introducing turtling when it’s not 100% certain all weapon tracers are working properly.