Max players hardcoded at 64?

• Hey :)
    Just for fun, I’m trying to make a 128 player server, but it seems that it always goes back to 64. Is this the limit?
    Thanks

• that would probably be no fun for anyone. 300 pings across the board. Plus i don’t think it’s supported.

• I’m just wondering if it’s possible, not that I think it would work flawlessly

• i dont think so, i think 64 is max for now, and it shouldn’t even go up to 64… they tried like last weekend to test a 64 and it went horribly. There’s also a few 64 servers already… and they’re horrible. The ping is gross… and if on objective map defense always wins… there’s no balance whatsoever. Could be some HUGE epic battles sure… but would need more than just server support for that… it takes all balance out of the game as well. But mainly ping is the issue, as far as any fun goes because you’ll be stuttering and teleporting all over the map and nothing will be accurate or timed correctly. Plus… 50 archers per team.

• Yeah, I believe you, but there are probably values that can be tweaked to increase performance :)
    I just want to try, because I’ve got this awesome dedicated server hardware doing nothing, and I want to try to push chivalry servers to the limit

• Okay, so it seems the server starts lagging at ~35, and lags pretty hardcore at ~45 players. With lags I mean instant teleports and stuff like that. Pings also increase. I would say it’s CPU related. No other relevant process that could damage performance

I will be testing different config parameters, help me if you know something to increase UDK server performance. I’m pretty sure the hardware should be able to manage 64 player servers and much more, but maybe it’s just really badly optimized.

Any config changes/suggestions are welcome

CPU peak 160%/800%
    RAM peak 1.6GB

Xeon E3 1245v2 at 3.8GHz
    32GB DDR3
    SSD raid, 2x120 GB
    1GBPS

• @OmmNomNom:

Okay, so it seems the server starts lagging at ~35, and lags pretty hardcore at ~45 players. With lags I mean instant teleports and stuff like that. Pings also increase. I would say it’s CPU related. No other relevant process that could damage performance

I will be testing different config parameters, help me if you know something to increase UDK server performance. I’m pretty sure the hardware should be able to manage 64 player servers and much more, but maybe it’s just really badly optimized.

Any config changes/suggestions are welcome

CPU peak 160%/800%
    RAM peak 1.6GB

Xeon E3 1245v2 at 3.8GHz
    32GB DDR3
    SSD raid, 2x120 GB
    1GBPS

There is no butt about it, that is fact. The net code is horribly over bloated same is true in the overal game design. You could however play with some of the rate settings for both client and server sides. That may help open up the net throughput. But I have my doubts. Most servers hit horrible lag above 24 players regardless if the game can handle more. I and most skilled and knowledgeable players will avoid servers with more than 24 players.