Increase the "Epic" Factor

• No offense to the developers, but right now the game seems like a bit of a joke. As soon as a game starts all the players just pool into the arena and lop each others heads off in a matter of seconds.

When I saw the trailer, I imagined myself getting absorbed into a violent, gritty, and utterly rivetting world; splattering into the river, getting mud and grit in my eyes, wading through the mud to meet my equally filthy enemy, and desperately fending off his blows.

I imagined climbing the castle walls, slipping through a window, assassinating sentries, right before getting into an epic battle with the captain deep in the belly of the castle, only to be shot in the back by an archer that walked into the room by accident.

The fact that the game turned out like it is isn’t really that much of a problem, I just think it could be better than an FPS with swords.

So, I made this forum for those who want to make Chivalry a bit more epic! Please post and help me find out what Chivalry could really be!

• this game WAS much better than it is now… the skill level was much higher, battles were intense and mechanics and gameplay seemed to make a lot more sense. Then noobs figured out how to complain about tactics on the forums and the game turned into the game you see today. That and horrible patchwork that broke something every single patch contributed as well, but mainly the stupid ideas of noobs trying to make the game easier for themselves without putting the work and training in that the better players did. Many thought they should be pros at the game after playing for about a week and were disappointed that they couldn’t compete with people with 600+ hours in the game.

As far as the additional features you want… they’re not needed… this game was truly a better game without all of that, but now it has turned into a hit trading hack and slash where virtually anyone can artificially increase their skill. Skill doesn’t matter as much as it used to, sure it still does a lot… but even very low rank players can kill a high rank player just based on numbers, etc… whereas before this would not happen.

• Okay, so I’ve come to the conclusion that the reason Chivalry is lame at the moment is because of a lack of possibilities. You should have ultimate movement and decision making, but instead you’re forced to just do what the game tells you to do.

The move set needs to be expanded! You should be able to climb, sneak, hide, dig, and more. In short you can go anywhere within the confines of the game world if you have the skill.

Of course, there’s no point in being able to go anywhere if there’s nowhere to go. The environments need to be expanded! Imagine traverseable sewer systems, caves, passageways and furnaces. Every environment in Chivalry has an unfulfilled potential for awesomeness. Cliff-side passes, climeable towers, no more un-openable doors…

And somehow, the stakes need to be upped for combat, right now it feels pointlessly violent and shallow. My opinion is that it is NOT the combat itself that makes it exciting, it’s the things surrounding it; the reason you’re fighting, how hard you’ve worked to get to the battle, and most importantly, the consequences of failure… How far back you’ll be sent, how long you’ll be dead, what the victor will be able to do to your team mates with you no longer around… All could be successfully implemented by Torn Banner if they tried!

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare still has the potential to be something different and epic, remember that!

• yeah but also, the game would become an even buggier mess if EXTRA mechanics were added. Do you realize that a bunch of the mechanics don’t work properly as it is? And you want to add climbing, digging, etc to this mess?

Fix the current shit first, then think of other shit that could be possible… that’ my opinion on the matter. Would it be cool to be able to do other things? Of course… but look at what we’re talking about here. You obviously haven’t been here since the release of this game or you would know the hell and torment us players have been through with patches, and changes.

• Yes, one of the first things I thought when playing Medieval Warfare was: “I sure wish I could pull out a shovel and dig a hole right now. How skillful that would be! And useful too!”

• I want some dragons and shit

maybe helicopters too

• @CRUSHED:

I want some dragons and shit

Haha, this reminded me of the dragon map in PVK2 (hl2mod first person slasher). DRAGONS!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leMoT7HHo-M&t=1m33s
    You could actually fly on the dragons and throw fireballs out of their mouths. Good times 8-)

• @Daiyuki:

Yes, one of the first things I thought when playing Medieval Warfare was: “I sure wish I could pull out a shovel and dig a hole right now. How skillful that would be! And useful too!”

i would dig a hole for archers to fall into

• @Cosmo_Kane:

Epic

• @clayton-bigsby:

@Daiyuki:

Yes, one of the first things I thought when playing Medieval Warfare was: “I sure wish I could pull out a shovel and dig a hole right now. How skillful that would be! And useful too!”

i would dig a hole for archers to fall into

:) I would dig a tunnel and come up directly beneath an archer.

• @Daiyuki:

LOL yeah, I kind of pulled the digging thing out of my ass.

• @clayton-bigsby:

You obviously haven’t been here since the release of this game or you would know the hell and torment us players have been through with patches, and changes.

Ooooooops :3

• I imagined climbing the castle walls, slipping through a window, assassinating sentries, right before getting into an epic battle with the captain deep in the belly of the castle, only to be shot in the back by an archer that walked into the room by accident.

You expected Assassin’s Creed. I can feel the brutal aura of the battlefield; the screams, the limbs chopped off, blood and bodies laying all around… To me the game does catch the atmosphere quite nicely. It’s mechanic that I can question, how it’s displayed and sometimes how it works.

this game WAS much better than it is now… the skill level was much higher, battles were intense and mechanics and gameplay seemed to make a lot more sense. Then noobs figured out how to complain about tactics on the forums and the game turned into the game you see today.

I was there. If the game felt better to me it’s mostly because people didn’t know how to use “pro” tactics that make the game feel and look broken nowadays (parries and shields, in some cases nearly an instant attacks, stabs up close, etc.). If they can design a better way to display stances, attacks, etc. and make in look consistent then there would be much more fun and much less “how is this possible?!” moments.

As far as the additional features you want… they’re not needed… this game was truly a better game without all of that, but now it has turned into a hit trading hack and slash where virtually anyone can artificially increase their skill. Skill doesn’t matter as much as it used to, sure it still does a lot… but even very low rank players can kill a high rank player just based on numbers, etc… whereas before this would not happen.

I don’t see it as much different than it was. Everything always did come down to how well one is/was capable of using (or exploiting, can’t find better for for it) the in-game mechanics. What did happen that all “skill doesn’t matter as much as it used to”?

• This game just lacks of strategic part. Games like this are getting borred after a while. Check Heroes and Generals - that’s the future. IF Chivalry had some strategic part, some bigger map and forces movement, to get the feeling that each fps battle counts somehow, people would play it more, and go back to it often. That’s the factor new games should have.
    Imagine road to get the castle, few minnor battles, than some siege of town, than castle siege. And then another territory run, or defense or some duel turnament to win more money for better weapons and new armor, because u just lost one in last battle. We need Chivalry Kingdom! :D

• People have wild imaginations.

Look at their advertising and expect the game will be worse the advertising. Not better.
    It almost never is. Then you will never be disappointed.

Also some of these people who say it was better at release are wrapped up in nostalgia. I mean come on. 1500 hours and I think the new game factor would have worn off. You might even be getting bored.

Also people have managed to get climbing ladders working in the SDK. No animation of course but you can go up them.

Lack of teamwork and strategy OS the fault of the players who don’t comply. Not the game.

• if the game didn’t function like a sock full of holes in it, i’d still wear the damn thing.

unfortunately, i don’t wear socks with holes all up in them.

and no one was talking about release, the game def was good at release mind the bugs but mechanics worked pretty darn well and as expected for the most part… plus everything you did wasn’t restricted by 5 other things. Mostly things were just better pre the july patch, not necessarily release, but in JUNE for example, game was better. Still had bugs but i’d rather play with those bugs than the new ones + shitty changes.

• Well try had two choices.

Let all new players leave.
    Keep their new players.

They chose the latter.

And the this isn’t about bugs and mechanics if you haven’t noticed.

• I think this would make the game more epic:
    http://www.tornbanner.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=24311

• Can we have a discussion about anything without it instantly becoming “Game is shit now, patch was bad!” and then “No! Patch was good!” ?? Can we pretty please?

To the OP I think some of those are great ideas but you need to understand that Torn Banner are a new company and can’t just program all that stuff into the game. Maybe by the time we get to Chivalry 3 that will be possible.

Although I will say that at least my new custom map has a climbable ladder and a tunnel so at least some of what you were thinking exists.

• Nice work on the maps mon;
    I’d love it if everyone could drop the discussion of patch/game bad/game good etc. Really its been discussed enough and doesn’t bring anything to new discussions. People can search on that topic if they want to. Maybe its time to bring out the ban hammer so that the forum can be constructive and usefull again.
    Banning a few bad seeds would also give room for new forum users,
    But then you’d have to ban them as well because they don’t use the search function. Just kidding :D
    In all seriousness i think this needs to be considered though, so that there can be proper discussion without sandbagging of constructive discussions.