>>> Come on TBS motivate SDK - wtf

• So SDK is out, appears to be working. This is a great thing. Now if TBS was smart (and not totally focused on DW) they would stimulate the CMW SDK environment similar to how the government stimulates an industry.

So pretty simple. Create an SDK TO map creation competition. TO maps are what is lacking in CMW.

• Create the best TO map and TBS will award a prize - inclusion in standard content plus a $1,000 prize.

Suddenly you stimulate all the potential SDK developers, create a buzz around CMW that extends outside of the community, and players are excited because there is a potentially a map that could be the best.

There has not been a TO map since Citadel in February and TO maps are your bread and butter.

Bread and butter. Obligatory picture.

• The SDK is not fully released yet. There are some workshop visual issues that we’re trying to get resolved with Steam. So until things are up, running, released and smooth as butter, then we can proceed with other fun things.

Keep in mind, not everyone is working on DW.

Thanks for your input.

• @Kimiko:

up, running, released and smooth as butter

@Kimiko:

released and smooth as butter

@Kimiko:

smooth as butter

@Kimiko:

butter

But if you make a contest and put the winner’s map into the actual game, it doesn’t matter what the workshop status is.
    That said, hurry up on the workshop.

• @Kimiko:

The SDK is not fully released yet. There are some workshop visual issues that we’re trying to get resolved with Steam. So until things are up, running, released and smooth as butter, then we can proceed with other fun things.

Funny. Two weeks after that pseudo release and tadadada… you are still worrying and putting more effort into the Workshop, like we didn’t get enough of this in Beta.
    Ironic how not even a Valve engine uses the Workshop as a primary mean to distribute their community content.

However, if you do think that’s the highlight of the evening, wait just a second, the game will download every single content that is installed within a server when you first attempt to join it, not just what it’s currently running.
    Old engines used such a “feature” and every server ended up disabling autodownload.
    Wanna play in my server hosting 100+ custom maps? Come back in a year.

@Kimiko:

Keep in mind, not everyone is working on DW.

It’s clear that CrustaceanSoup is deeply involved in both projects. Probably leading coding development in both, if you read his posts and code comments.

It was rare of me to openly criticize TBS before this lastest patch, but at this point it appears they are no longer worried about people bashing them, they are bashing themselves, on purpose.

This my children, is how you should not build your company.
    A completely lack of vision for the usage of your project in the future.
    Killed the development of most code-dependant mods around here (is there an active one at the moment?).
    What are you going to do once you’ve overhaul mods and more complex maps (full of imported assets) when the Workshop limits it to 100 MB?

• Yes because crustaceansoup is all of TBS.

• I must say I’m not happy with the progress of the SDK. Pushing for workshop support is nice and will definitely help with adoption of custom content, but I really don’t think it should have been a priority. At the moment mods will not run on dedicated servers and although several people have expressed interest in hosting servers and playing custom content, I must tell them to wait for a fix.

I know you have to quality control live releases but seriously, it’s mods and maps, people EXPECT some bugs and weird stuff (plus, it’s not even working at the moment anyway). Having runnable (although somewhat difficult to install) content in live should have been a priority, and could have been achieved a while ago. For those people desperate for new stuff, following some small install guide isn’t a big deal. Workshop could have come later and tied everything together for everyone else.

• Some maps work some maps don’t. The auto download feature didn’t work.

Anything to do with anything network doesn’t get done properly. Ranks is another big one. Only game I know where it screws up. And now communication with the workshop. Works fine in Ro2.

Though at least your hit netcode for combat is fine. Better than BF4 and COD ghosts. You want bad netcode play one of those two games. BF4 is really bad.

• @NabsterHax:

I must say I’m not happy with the progress of the SDK. Pushing for workshop support is nice and will definitely help with adoption of custom content, but I really don’t think it should have been a priority.

Certainly. This makes even more sense when you’ve easier, cheaper and faster alternatives.
    I’ve implemented more complex auto-downloading mechanisms (not in a game though) with C only in less than a day. It’s simply not acceptable that they can’t implement an alternative in a fully developed engine and with access to its C++ structure.
    Not everyone can/want to upload/download their content to/from the Steam Workshop. Forcing me to distribute my content in the way you see fit isn’t the proper way to do it.

@NabsterHax:

At the moment mods will not run on dedicated servers and although several people have expressed interest in hosting servers and playing custom content, I must tell them to wait for a fix.

You can run your mod as a native package on serverside. Clients can connect to it as long as they have said content in CookedSDK (they don’t need to change their config).
    If you can make enough people download/install your stuff, you should probably do that. Bear in mind that this is a Steam game though, 90% won’t even know about your mod, much less manually install them.

@NabsterHax:

I know you have to quality control live releases but seriously, it’s mods and maps, people EXPECT some bugs and weird stuff (plus, it’s not even working at the moment anyway). Having runnable (although somewhat difficult to install) content in live should have been a priority, and could have been achieved a while ago. For those people desperate for new stuff, following some small install guide isn’t a big deal. Workshop could have come later and tied everything together for everyone else.

It’s a big deal when every server must compile and cook their combined modset.
    Which, as I’ve already said in the past, is not fitted for Workshop.
    Moreover, smaller mods like mine are intended to run over vanilla aswell as with any other mod around. Making each player download said smaller mods just to play isn’t viable either.

As of now I’m also boycotting Steam Workshop for Chivalry.
    Even if at some point they add code-dependant mod support to the Workshop, I’ll not be uploading my stuff to it.
    I would recommend all the other modders and mappers to also do the same until we are given alternatives to the distribution of our content.

• @Cthulhu:

You can run your mod as a native package on serverside. Clients can connect to it as long as they have said content in CookedSDK (they don’t need to change their config).
    If you can make enough people download/install your stuff, you should probably do that. Bear in mind that this is a Steam game though, 90% won’t even know about your mod, much less manually install them.

This. You can’t expect alot of people to install mods in this Steam generation nowadays.

Anyways i feel like traditional autodownload aka CS times >>>>> steam workshop.

Doesnt have to download EVERYTHING on connect, just the one custom map running right now.

• @lemonater47:

Though at least your hit netcode for combat is fine. Better than BF4 and COD ghosts. You want bad netcode play one of those two games. BF4 is really bad.

Oh, you mean BF4 which has had 9 patch updates since release on 10/28? Including the server-side patch yesterday which actually resolved many bugs? That BF4? I went 33-4 last night in it. :D

• @BillDoor:

@lemonater47:

Oh, you mean BF4 which has had 9 patch updates since release on 10/28? Including the server-side patch yesterday which actually resolved many bugs? That BF4? I went 33-4 last night in it. :D

What 9 patches? And until two days ago it was still bad. Didn’t play it yesterday.

• @lemonater47:

What 9 patches? And until two days ago it was still bad. Didn’t play it yesterday.

1 client-side Origin loaded patch, 1 in-game client-side hotfix, 7 server-side patches, including the major one yesterday at 10 AM. That one made things much, much better. Only 2 crashes last night, one of which I’m sure was my poor abused graphics card.
    R8 is not finished yet - includes more server-side patches. DICE is communicating with us here:
    http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/forum/threadview/2955065217944685108/