Updates through Steam Workshop

• I’ve never used workshop before, neither to download maps/mods/etc nor to upload stuff myself. I just have a few questions about it.

Does workshop come with some sort of update function? If I release an alpha version of my map, would I then be able and edit it and push the update out to everyone subscribed via workshop? Would servers be able to subscribe to my map via workshop and receive updates this way too? Cheers.

• From what I’ve heard servers have to be updated manually. Clients automatically update what they’re subscribed to normally.

• HAHAHAH still doesnt work……

Still a better story than Twilight.

• Developer

Servers currently need to manually update. It’s a good idea to set up the update on a scheduled task / cron job so it happens at regular intervals. Clients will be prompted to update as soon as they connect to a server with the item.

• @CrustaceanSoup:

Servers currently need to manually update. It’s a good idea to set up the update on a scheduled task / cron job so it happens at regular intervals. Clients will be prompted to update as soon as they connect to a server with the item.

What happens if somebody has a newer version of a map than the server they connect to has? Will they not be able to join or will the older version be downloaded?

• I think they will not be able to join.

• @CrustaceanSoup:

Make sense, how do you get the word out to the server owners, plus the cron job instructions.

Fix that and make life smoother for everyone.

• Developer

We’re planning to get downloading/updating into the command line for the server, but it’s still probably only going to happen when the server first starts.