Give shank the overhead dagger animation from MW.

• And make it thrust damage type, not slash. Something that annoyed me greatly was the heavily reduced damage on the overhead dagger from armour due to it being slash damage type even though it did an overhead downwards thrust with the dagger. Bring back the old animation for dagger overhead for the shank, the overhead currently looks like you’re tapping someone with a bent wire, hardly lethal. The old animation would look far better and give it thrust damage type.

• @Borge:

And make it thrust damage type, not slash. Something that annoyed me greatly was the heavily reduced damage on the overhead dagger from armour due to it being slash damage type even though it did an overhead downwards thrust with the dagger. Bring back the old animation for dagger overhead for the shank, the overhead currently looks like you’re tapping someone with a bent wire, hardly lethal. The old animation would look far better and give it thrust damage type.

The problem is the shank is far more lethal than the daggers are in MW and that animation is difficult to block, I’d rather they kept the shank as it is and just gave the pirate a knife with that animation. And give one to the ninja as well, if anyone’s gonna get an overhead stab they’re the best fit.

• sounds good to me

• I was actually surprised when I found out that shank is not using dagger animations.

• Bumping. The shank is terribly hard to get a hit with the DW movement, having this animation and the associated tracers would give it slightly longer range.

• Nah, I like the Shank the way it is. Easier to hit people with it than the bloody Boarding axe, that’s for sure.
    Then again, I barely play Pirate so I don’t care too much.

• @B4RK:

Nah, I like the Shank the way it is. Easier to hit people with it than the bloody Boarding axe, that’s for sure.

And that’s why we’ll ignore your input.

The thrusting dagger in MW was so effective to use because you could just shank the fuck out of people with it. Mix in that quick little straight jab with a couple of downward thrusts from the sides, right around their parries, then back to the jab, maybe throw in some slashes with it just for shits, who cares, he’s dead anyway. Archer and MaA were fuckin dangerous with those little butter knives, yet the shank in DW just feels so sloppy and stupid. It’s a SHANK and yet 4 of its 5 attacks are slashes. When I first used it back in beta I picked it because I figured it would have the Thrusting Dagger animations from chiv, and instead it had some stupid, out-of-place-looking chopping attack for an overhead.

• How does slashing even work with the shank anyway? I don’t see how it does cutting damage in the first place.

Dagger stabs would be great.

• @Oy:

@B4RK:

Nah, I like the Shank the way it is. Easier to hit people with it than the bloody Boarding axe, that’s for sure.

And that’s why we’ll ignore your input.

The thrusting dagger in MW was so fuck to use because you could just shank the fuck out of people with it. Mix in that quick little straight jab with a couple of downward thrusts from the sides, right around their parries, then back to the jab, maybe throw in some slashes with it just for shits, who cares, he’s dead anyway. Archer and MaA were fuckin dangerous with those little butter knives, yet the shank in DW just feels so sloppy and stupid. It’s a SHANK and yet 4 of its 5 attacks are slashes. When I first used it back in beta I picked it because I figured it would have the Thrusting Dagger animations from chiv, and instead it had some stupid, out-of-place-looking chopping attack for an overhead.

Yeah, those stab animations were really nice.

• I suppose it is weird that the shank doesn’t do what its name implies.

• How bout we tie the shank to our boots so when the enemy gets close he gets a SNEAKY PIRATE NUT KICK OF DEATH.

• @Mockingbirch:

@Borge:

And make it thrust damage type, not slash. Something that annoyed me greatly was the heavily reduced damage on the overhead dagger from armour due to it being slash damage type even though it did an overhead downwards thrust with the dagger. Bring back the old animation for dagger overhead for the shank, the overhead currently looks like you’re tapping someone with a bent wire, hardly lethal. The old animation would look far better and give it thrust damage type.

The problem is the shank is far more lethal than the daggers are in MW and that animation is difficult to block, I’d rather they kept the shank as it is and just gave the pirate a knife with that animation. And give one to the ninja as well, if anyone’s gonna get an overhead stab they’re the best fit.

Kunai for ninja with those anims would be excellent.

• The overhead stab animation is a good idea and here are some points for:

Since the “more reliable parry/block” the attack shouldn’t really be as annoying by bypassing parries/block as daggers are in MW.

Also as far as I know the overhead attack already deals piercing damage. I know this because it does not decapitate or explode heads. Only swing and chop damages can decapitate and only blunt and pierceblunt damages can head explodie heads. Piercing damage only knocks helmets off and that it does only in ranged version as far as I know. I tried real hard and failed over and over to ever decapitate or chop a limb off corpses with the overhead.

I also believe that this change, coupled with the appropriate tracer change, would extent the range of the weapon, which is a good thing, I suppose?

• @Martys:

The overhead stab animation is a good idea and here are some points for:

Since the “more reliable parry/block” the attack shouldn’t really be as annoying by bypassing parries/block as daggers are in MW.

Also as far as I know the overhead attack already deals piercing damage. I know this because it does not decapitate or explode heads. Only swing and chop damages can decapitate and only blunt and pierceblunt damages can head explodie heads. Piercing damage only knocks helmets off and that it does only in ranged version as far as I know. I tried real hard and failed over and over to ever decapitate or chop a limb off corpses with the overhead.

I also believe that this change, coupled with the appropriate tracer change, would extent the range of the weapon, which is a good thing, I suppose?

The whole overheads doing slash damage thing comes from an old bug, where for a very long time, they had the overhead stabs do slash damage instead of pierce, and it went unfixed for a while. You could stab people’s heads off and it was hilarious.

• The major difference in the two animations is the speed at which the hit comes in. Those overhand thrusts in MW are a fair bit slower and more noticeable than the hunting knife overhand (in MW). At the moment, the shank plays like the hunting knife, but with the speed of a broad dagger.
    I primarily use the shank with the pirate, and fire rum, and find it much more effective to have a low range, fast slashing motion than the more noticeable stabbing overhand of the dagger. It comes in so fast that all you need to do is face hug with the shank and twitch side to side, making them think you’re about to perform a slashing motion and they almost always panic parry.

With the shank, I tend to alternate between alt slash and alt overhand, while sprinting to the appropriate side of the target. I think changing the overhand animation would actually reduce a fair bit of the shanks power, and given that players tend to move so fast in this game, reach isn’t necessarily an issue. Unlike MW, I can target switch with the shank due to the pirates movement speed, all in the same combo, without stopping.

Coupled with the reduced bubble size, getting in close and hitting those short ranged slashing motions is not too hard. I just worry that by changing the dagger animations so that the shank has more reach, they might compensate by reducing the overhand attacks speed.

• @Gauntlet:

The major difference in the two animations is the speed at which the hit comes in. Those overhand thrusts in MW are a fair bit slower and more noticeable than the hunting knife overhand (in MW). At the moment, the shank plays like the hunting knife, but with the speed of a broad dagger.
    I primarily use the shank with the pirate, and fire rum, and find it much more effective to have a low range, fast slashing motion than the more noticeable stabbing overhand of the dagger. It comes in so fast that all you need to do is face hug with the shank and twitch side to side, making them think you’re about to perform a slashing motion and they almost always panic parry.

With the shank, I tend to alternate between alt slash and alt overhand, while sprinting to the appropriate side of the target. I think changing the overhand animation would actually reduce a fair bit of the shanks power, and given that players tend to move so fast in this game, reach isn’t necessarily an issue. Unlike MW, I can target switch with the shank due to the pirates movement speed, all in the same combo, without stopping.

Coupled with the reduced bubble size, getting in close and hitting those short ranged slashing motions is not too hard. I just worry that by changing the dagger animations so that the shank has more reach, they might compensate by reducing the overhand attacks speed.

The playstyle you’re talking about seems far more suited to the Boarding Axe or the Cutlass. The Shank should be a nice 1v1 weapon with good piercing stabs against heavier armored targets.

• The thrusting dagger in chivalry IMO was a fairly OP weapon. The extended reach with the overhead made it like a short sword. Add that with more speed and around the same damage and you have the scroll wheel of doom. :P