Making bows faster.

• Hello,

As of Beta patch 3 (and the ones before it) archery in Chivalry still doesn’t seem to be a viable gameplay option. Not only do the actual arrows do very little damage, the time spend on trying to shoot the arrow takes just way too long (talking about the moment when you first click, aim, then release). Not to mention the clumsiness of the aiming. It is ridiculously hard to actually hit someone, especially as there’s a noticeable delay after you let go of the button. The arrow should be in the air immediately after you let go, yet it isn’t. There’s a significant delay which really messes up the aiming. :|

Crossbows aren’t nearly as bad as the lack of speed is understandable, due to their higher damage in return. I have no suggestions regarding the crossbows as they’re pretty much balanced and their speed/power difference is also well balanced. Although it seems to me that they are in the wrong order: Light crossbow should be the first choice, then the basic crossbow (which is now the first one) and then the heavy crossbow. Would only make logical sense if it were like that.

• Make a half decent archer even more lethal? :?

• I don’t know… I actually think bows have it over the Crossbows personally, I’m favouring the Warbow over the Heavy Crossbow a lot. More often that not, you need 2 shots regardless of Bow or Crossbow (Knights might require 3 with some ranged weps, and leg shots might require a 3rd or even 4th arrow/bolt) and the Bows fire faster than Crossbows and don’t require you to be rooted when reloading.

• @sadnhappy:

Hello,
    Although it seems to me that they are in the wrong order: Light crossbow should be the first choice, then the basic crossbow (which is now the first one) and then the heavy crossbow. Would only make logical sense if it were like that.

Not a single weapon in this game is a direct upgrade to another. The weapons differ in stats to fit different playstyles, that’s all that is to it.

• @PowerZ:

@sadnhappy:

Hello,
    Although it seems to me that they are in the wrong order: Light crossbow should be the first choice, then the basic crossbow (which is now the first one) and then the heavy crossbow. Would only make logical sense if it were like that.

Not a single weapon in this game is a direct upgrade to another. The weapons differ in stats to fit different playstyles, that’s all that is to it.

I do believe he does not think of it as puting them in “upgrading order”, as I’m pretty sure he knows what you tell here already.
    What he asks for is putting the simplest to use crossbow first, which would be the light one from his point of view.

• From what I have understood so far, you start with the most balanced(balanced as in stat balance) one of that tier, and then you unlock the ones that have more “specialized use” if you know what I mean, like faster rate but less power, or bigger power with slower rate.

• Ranged needs nerfing. I f*cking hate archers.

• I hope it’s better than AoC.

Don’t get me wrong, I can often top the board in AoC with my Longbow.

But the fact is, how much I have to lead into my shots is stupid. I’ve seen arrows that shouldn’t hit, hit, and arrows that should definitely hit, miss. AS well as just times when the arrow delays 1 second, despite no lag.

I hope that shit is gone.

• @Mkilbride:

I hope it’s better than AoC.

Don’t get me wrong, I can often top the board in AoC with my Longbow.

But the fact is, how much I have to lead into my shots is stupid. I’ve seen arrows that shouldn’t hit, hit, and arrows that should definitely hit, miss. AS well as just times when the arrow delays 1 second, despite no lag.

I hope that shit is gone.

It’s much better than AoC. Too much better IMO.

• Just started playing today, mostly as archer, got at least 10+ kills. Making it faster means people will start MAing with it and abusing it. If anything, the tracer could use alittle bit more “glow”. Would help aim correction.

This coming from a Tribes player.

• I think the delay is stupid. I’ve actually seen my arrow be where I was, like I moved to the right and saw it to my left, then it shot.

• @Mkilbride:

I think the delay is stupid. I’ve actually seen my arrow be where I was, like I moved to the right and saw it to my left, then it shot.

You either had lag or latency. I get allot of latency in the game, like i see a guy swinging at me, the swing did not hurt me, a sec later i get a hit out of nowhere!

• I’d like to see some videos of this “delay” some people have been talking about on arrows. I’ve never experienced anything like that even on USWest and UK servers where I get 120-150 ping.

• My ping is under 50 and so is most other peoples, my FPS is 80-90.

Also, Lag & Latency, same thing. Frustrating how SO many people today confuse latency with FPS.

• Since playing from getting my key from kickstarter, I’ve always played the archer, I can say that before the arrows actually did do a change in damage archery was kinda bad :p

But… Since then, it’s more viable to take a warbow or a longbow than take the short bow, the 70% damage from the warbow is much better and although slower than the short bow, i tend to find its got better flight and easier to aim.

Longbows are fast enough already and from the past few games i’ve played today, they by no means need making any faster for the damage they deal, it’s actually more appealing to take the bodkin because of that extra damage you’ll always have to do to a vanguard / knight (more of them), than the broadhead, maybe a little change to the damage values on that? i dunno fully, I know its a 1 shot with broadhead on archers and atleast half the time on MAA with the warbow :)

But yeah… compared to the rest of the ranged weapons, bow is by far more superior and quite perfect really for damage, we just need that kick and quick switch :P

• Broadheads are kinda bugged right now for various reasons. Some positive and some negative. Should be fixed in next patch.

• I agree with the arrow Tracer its waaayy to generic it needs the glow to get a clear view of it instead of just a white shine over it… And for bows, I do think they should be a tad faster esp. the short bow I never use that why cuz the differance from the long bow and short isnt that great. it’s about the same…

also don’t know if its just me but setting up for an arrow and then shooting, it doesn’t have weight to it… I dont feel the umph in it; sounds & feels weak… when you swing a sword hammer etc theres weight to the controls but not the archers :x
    …and I DONT see a differance in the arrows!!! for bow.

• Longbow draw speed is good the way it is.
    Shortbow draw speed should be increased quite a bit, but range and damage slightly decreased.
    Warbow needs to be a tad slower to draw, but the range and arrow speed increased.
    All IMHO of course.

I also think they should remove the arrow tracing, or at least make it half noticeable.

Broadhead arrows cause more damage against archers and man-at-arms, while bodkin arrows are armor-piercing and cause more damage towards vanguards and knights.

• @gB:

Ranged needs nerfing. I f*cking hate archers.

This

• @Viper:

Broadhead arrows are meant to cause more damage against archers and man-at-arms, while bodkin arrows are armor-piercing and currently cause more damage to everything but archers which they do 10% less damage to

Fixed your post. ;)