I dont get it

• its a given everyone likes to hate and rape archers. i like to rape them too, but i don’t think they need to be removed or nerfed or anything the likes of which there are countless threads and well thought out responses to. besides, i get a chuckle out of beheading an archer that is running for his life when i get the upperhand.
    no, this is not a thread about archers.

Firepots.

why do some people get so upset that a MAA would throw a firepot. i’ve seenthem get called noobs and every other name, not as bas as those pesky archers, when they throw a firepot, but why?
    the MAA loadout includes, gasp!, firepots. so why would they not use it and why would anyone not expect to see them used and then get madder than a wet hen when tey get hit by a firepot. when i m chasing an opponent or engaged in a fight and i hear the always humorous screams of agony from being burned, i laugh and start running. sometimes im able to put out the fire, but other times i hear the sizzling of my fat as the flames consume me in my armor. so can someone enlighten me why it is considered taboo, or noobish, or “unskilled…hahahahahha” to use all the weapons in a class’s loadouts.

wouldnt that be the same thing as a van or knight throwing the axes and knives? btw, when i see a player constantly raging about a MAA throwing firepots, i, you guessed it, switch to MAA, choose firepot, and hunt him down and throw firepots at him, running away and XX2’ing.

archers don’t count because, well, we all know they are not human…… :D

• Its an area of effect ranged attack that is very hard to defend against (the only way is to move out of the area quickly). If hit it deals damage over time while flames will disrupt your vision. And if you survive this your armor will be burned grey - and your teammates kill you because they didn’t bother looking at their crosshair or the shape of your armor.

Add to this that you create an area that applies this burning effect to everyone walking into it and you got the perfect tool to troll those honor freaks.

• Because unfortunately this game attracts inbred monkeys. Inbred monkeys will complain about anything that kills them because they can’t stand the fact that other people can throw poo just like them.

• @flippy:

Because unfortunately this game attracts inbred monkeys. Inbred monkeys will complain about anything that kills them because they can’t stand the fact that other people can throw poo just like them.

This, lol. Firepot is not OP. It covers a small area and it takes less than a second to move out of the way, and just a few more to regen. It can be annoying, but that’s all. I’ve seen people make claims about every single weapon being OP, even fists. It’s so much easier to make excuses than to make an effort and adapt.

• I have no issue with enemy archers. Just like melee, ranged weapons take a degree of practice and skill to use effectively so if an archer can keep headshotting me when im running around on the other side of the map i say he deserves the kills.

It’s dipshit archers on my team that piss me off.

• I think the majority of the reason people complain is because they can’t handle the shame of losing in a video game. This is generally a type of sour-sportsmanship but its all too common in gaming today. Just ignore it. Play the game and have fun.

Additionally- the fire pot used to be a-lot worse before and few complained about it. (most likely because they were busy complaining other things)

• @User:

the fire pot used to be a-lot worse before

wut

• @Karasu:

@User:

wut

The fire pots used to last longer a few patches ago.
    They would also deal more damage and not flinch you as far as I recall.

• @User:

I think the majority of the reason people complain is because they can’t handle the shame of losing in a video game. This is generally a type of sour-sportsmanship but its all too common in gaming today. Just ignore it. Play the game and have fun.

Yep, best just to ignore it. Please, TBS…

• @User:

@Karasu:

@User:

wut

The fire pots used to last longer a few patches ago.

Well they never lasted longer…Here’s the changes made in the June patch:
    “Firepot damage from 7 per second to 6 per second.
    Firepot ground fire now ignites players who walk over it for 2 seconds.”

The June patch gave them quite the buff.

• The thing about archers is that you don’t see a lot of stellar guys doing it in pub games. You’ll see a lot of guys who might be good at shooting, or guys who might like melee with an archer because it’s a bit fast (never really got this myself, just go MaA, right?), but you rarely every find guys who excel at both. Even when I say “they excel at it” it’s likely they’re not to the level of some of these guys at EITHER of them.

I know the “competitive scene” in Chivalry all but has the plug pulled, but when you see some of those competitive guys you would probably believe they were a bit overpowered. If you guys don’t believe me I want you to specifically seek out Jook1e or Tree0ctopus and try your chance at them. With your shield up they’ll ping you 2-3 times going up to them, and if you’re not dead by then they have the ability to pull out their little melee weapon at the exact right moment and proceed to own you with it. It’s arguable this does take skill (it does!) but it’s also arguable that the game mechanics don’t allow for every class to have this power- therefore we call them overpowered. They literally have a power other classes do not have, and a melee equal to most classes (plus backstab damage, which no other class has).

You don’t see it often (especially in public servers where I believe the term “good archer” is misrepresented), but when you meet a guy who is the top level at shooting his bow and the top level with any melee weapon you’re doomed. I think the idea is that it shouldn’t be the way it is, because the archer’s strength should be in his ranged attack. The speed of the archer’s melee is what puts him on the level with nearly all melee classes.

Jav archers are well suited balance-wise in my opinion due to the same thing that makes the knight’s flail weak- the requirement of using the buckler along side it. Guys like Annisman (sp?) are deadly with their javs and as deadly as they can be with the melee, but the buckler severely limits this. In a team atmosphere they serve well as vanguard police- able to defend melee while still outrange the longest range melee.

• @quigleyer:

The thing about archers is…

I think it would be a good idea if blocking heavier weapon would drain your stamina as well as deal reduced damage based on what parried what. I think this mechanic was great tactically in AOC because it meant there wont be recon archers who are running around stabbing people. Instead they knew they will likely lose almost all their health if they tried parrying a maul knight.

• The fire pots used to last longer a few patches ago.
    Well they never lasted longer…Here’s the changes made in the June patch:
    “Firepot damage from 7 per second to 6 per second.
    Firepot ground fire now ignites players who walk over it for 2 seconds.”

The June patch gave them quite the buff.

They were super-powered in beta/just after launch (I can’t quite remember). Lasted ages, fuzzied your screen lots, did high damage so TBS nerfed them to the point of annoyance rather than lethality. So yeah, they went lava pot>warm piss>oil

• people just find it pretty noobish to get their last HP taken out by an area effect throwable, at least knives and axes are way much harder to land then firepots…still LETS BURN THE KING :D

• @User:

@quigleyer:

I think it would be a good idea if blocking heavier weapon would drain your stamina as well as deal reduced damage based on what parried what. I think this mechanic was great tactically in AOC because it meant there wont be recon archers who are running around stabbing people. Instead they knew they will likely lose almost all their health if they tried parrying a maul knight.

+1 for nerfing archer melee. TBS should get on that yesterday.

• @Karasu:

@User:

@quigleyer:

An archer can block like 3 maul strikes before stun. Alternatively, you could switch to your faster secondary. Too many people I see playing this without ever using their secondary weapon. A knight with a norse sword can take out an archer of the same melee skill. You have more options as you can rely on hit-trades or parry trades. With the fast weapon you can do the lightning fast ripostes as well. The most that archer melee should be nerfed is to maybe slightly increase stamina drain when they block heavier weapons but not add damage. That draws the focus of the game away from skill and IMO that’s not fun.

• @Footbeard:

@Karasu:

@User:

An archer can block like 3 maul strikes before stun. Alternatively, you could switch to your faster secondary. Too many people I see playing this without ever using their secondary weapon. A knight with a norse sword can take out an archer of the same melee skill. You have more options as you can rely on hit-trades or parry trades. With the fast weapon you can do the lightning fast ripostes as well. The most that archer melee should be nerfed is to maybe slightly increase stamina drain when they block heavier weapons but not add damage. That draws the focus of the game away from skill and IMO that’s not fun.

Someone else awhile ago suggested that drawing a bow should consume stamina. This way, rate of fire is slowed and an archer will already be low on stamina when he gets into a melee fight. Neato idea imo

• @Footbeard:

An archer can block like 3 maul strikes before stun.

Delay oh, easy. Or just step back, stun kick and crouched oh. It took like 3 seconds to deal with it.

• the only thing archer need is a nerf on leg shot…it’s ridiculous that an archer can shoot a feet of a maa and one hit kill right after with any blade, and i’m mostly playing archer! but i’d say speed up the lame walking speed when using bow!