Adjustment to sword drawing – thoughts

• So we know that the Samurais can attack while drawing their sword. This is neat. But to make it more practical, the controls should be adjusted.

Instead of it happening when you press the weapon switch key, the sword shouldn’t draw itself. It should be sheathed until you click attack initially. Or, be held back until you release RMB so that it only is only held back when people want it to be. That would make it seamless to current controls, and only people who want to hold back would hold RMB.

That way, people can make better use of this already implemented feature, which currently is clunky and hard to time.

Continuing along from that, historically, ninja’s would put powder in their sheaths so that when they drew the sword initially, the powder would come out and hit the opponent in the eyes, temporarily blinding them, and allowing for a much easier kill. That would make sense to add to the ninja class.

• I wouldn’t go that far, if it was used you’d still need metsubishi.

As most know, there’s alot that erks me historically… the ninja should have most of (if not all) the same weapons the samurai has. The quickdraw should also be part of their arsenal but I won’t hold my breath as I’d prefer the other wishes as a priority
    ~more armor (should be able to fight better than pirates in melee; pirates own at range)
    ~+5 shuriken (being able to pick them up is a weak excuse not to; vikings for example…)
    ~less influence from the chase mechanic (we all know it’s BS)
    ~swap samurai head for the ninja head… samurai MUST have top-knots… not the ninja. (just historically wrong)

• so you want it to be an easy free hit basically?

right now it requires timing and tact to know when to use it.

you basically are saying you want it to be an attack that others cannot forsee (there’s no windup)

so basically it would become a free hit that the other player cannot react to because it would come out whenever the hell you want it to. It’s an all release attack, there’s no windup to it.

the sword draw is already amazing with yumi bow, you take those last second shots before someone gets to you, once they get close you switch and hit them hopefully before they hit you

so i would have to disagree with this.

• @novous:

Instead of it happening when you press the weapon switch key, the sword shouldn’t draw itself. It should be sheathed until you click attack initially.

that ability is actually already in the game

press 4

• @Arebasu:

whut? so ninjas should be completely uncatchable? that sounds like fun. don’t you put words on my keyboard sir

@BB:

that ability is actually already in the game

press 4

yer a cheeky lil cooterface arent ya m8?

• @magilla:

hehe it’s basically the same thing right?
    did you imagine it differently?

• @BB:

@magilla:

hehe it’s basically the same thing right?
    did you imagine it differently?

i think he was talking about making it a more streamlined and authentic mode of attack, but based on the way he phrased things yes you covered everything quite well.

• @magilla:

@Arebasu Shun:

whut? so ninjas should be completely uncatchable? that sounds like fun. don’t you put words on my keyboard sir

(Assuming both of us are trained runners) Tell me if you can catch me carrying maybe 30-lbs at most as you’re carrying over 70-lbs of gear; I just want a mechanic that makes sense. I’ve proposed that it maybe take longer to comei nto effect for the ninja, but much like everything else the ninja players actually wants it gets ignored. As for “putting words”, I certainly know I’m not the only one who sees a problem here.

• @magilla:

i think he was talking about making it a more streamlined and authentic mode of attack, but based on the way he phrased things yes you covered everything quite well.

yeah of course, it sounds pretty cool and I wouldn’t be against it

the best you can hope for with the current Sword Draw is a hit trade

• @Arebasu:

@magilla guerrilla:

@Arebasu Shun:

(Assuming both of us are trained runners) Tell me if you can catch me carrying maybe 30-lbs at most as you’re carrying over 70-lbs of gear; I just want a mechanic that makes sense. I’ve proposed that it maybe take longer to comei nto effect for the ninja, but much like everything else the ninja players actually wants it gets ignored. As for “putting words”, I certainly know I’m not the only one who sees a problem here.

Realism does not equal fun in all cases. Does it make sense that you can deflect a poleaxe in full swing with a one handed sword? Does is make sense that you can big boot a Spartan backwards while wearing full knight armor?

Ninjas are quick enough. Without chase, they would flee from every losing encounter. This is not fun or constructive for a game in which we are FIGHTING to drive people to enjoy the melee combat.

• So what you propose is that Ninja continue to be simple meat shields? ApparentlyTB and others don’t know the term “skirmisher”… unless you count the “short lived battle” as the ninja lands one attack and dies before getting away. People talk about how the ninja isn’t an upfront fighter (I agree), but by this logic that’s what the ninja is limited to. Also, kicking isnt that difficult in full-plate armor so that’s a poor example of realism, it’s part of their combat maneuvers for creating distance.

Edit: by enjoy melee, you mean everyone stops fighting each other and groups up on the ninja because they know;
    1. they can catch him (thanks chase mechanics)
    2. they can 1-2 shot him (not too big a deal, just should be better or on par of pirate armor)

• @Arebasu:

So what you propose is that Ninja continue to be simple meat shields? ApparentlyTB and others don’t know the term “skirmisher”… unless you count the “short lived battle” as the ninja lands one attack and dies before getting away. People talk about how the ninja isn’t an upfront fighter (I agree), but by this logic that’s what the ninja is limited to. Also, kicking isnt that difficult in full-plate armor so that’s a poor example of realism.

Big booting a muscular guy with a round shield into a full stagger whilst wearing plate armor is not realism.

I just played ninja with sword and went 20-1, literally five minutes ago before being kicked for the killstreak bug. I’m not bragging at all but the ninja is not flawed combat wise.

• Did you use metsubishi or smoke (big difference vs none)? And yes it is, I go to the texas ren faire every year and have other friends that partake in re-enactment battles with live gear (blunted swords of course). The problem is I don’t think anyone in TB (certainly most in the forums) has studied any form of martial arts in their life and believe what ever they hear in games or hollywood.

• Sword + shuriken.

We can agree to disagree but if you strapped a 10 pound weight to your leg, and booted a man in peak physical condition holding a shield, I still don’t believe he would stagger or jerk near long enough for you to swing on him.

• You aren’t accounting for the fact that they trained in said gear and are in as good a condition (if not better) than the spartan/knight/viking defender. All I know is, if they don’t get their shit straight they lose about $400 from my friends alone.

• Have your friend of similar size/strength brace himself and hold up his hands, stand in front of him 2 feet away, and try to boot his hands from a standing position. I guarantee you he pushes you back on your ass.

Now imagine you’re in peak condition, but you’re wearing plate and you’re booting another guy holding a bronze shield instead of using his hands. Note he’s also in peak condition.

You’ll be on your ass.

• @BB:

@magilla:

yeah of course, it sounds pretty cool and I wouldn’t be against it

the best you can hope for with the current Sword Draw is a hit trade

lolwut? i’ve flinched many players with it and did not get hit traded. It’s a better defense move than offense btw…

not sure why people are using it for like a main attack, you have attacks for that.

• @clayton-bigsby:

lolwut? i’ve flinched many players with it and did not get hit trade.

And I’ve never been flinched by one

• well any decent player will see the weapon switch and avoid running into it… what’s your point?

point is, you said that it always ends in a hit trade, and that simply is not true.

I’ve said before, the most effective use of it is when you’re at a vulnerable state such as just firing off a yumi bow, and when they come to close in on you while you have your bow out, you can switch weapons and not only get your weapon out, but also do damage while doing so and possibly flinch your opponent, and then you have initiate with your other weapon as well.

• @clayton-bigsby:

well any decent player will see the weapon switch and avoid running into it… what’s your point?

exactly that
    any decent player won’t get flinched by it

@clayton-bigsby:

point is, you said that it always ends in a hit trade, and that simply is not true.

no I said “the best you can hope for is a hit trade”
    unless you’re fighting terrible players

then you can keep switching weapons and kill them that way

are you actually against this idea Clay?
    it’s really cool
    you don’t wanna be one of those cool samurais that use quickdraw as an actual attack?