So I just noticed…

• I unfortunately cannot afford to join in the early access for Deadliest Warrior, but I’ve been watching people play it and I noticed this pop up:

“Time your strikes so that you connect near the middle of your swing for the most damage!”

And I’m wondering… WHY has this not been patched into Medieval Warfare? This is the solution to mouse dragging that this game needs. One that I suggested on more than one occasion, because it is sensible and realistic. It is precisely what I believe will balance the tactical decision to mouse drag, while not permitting it to be the immense unblockable powerhouse move that people love to spam. Is there any intention of adding this mechanic to Medieval Warfare?

• another misleading tip, depending on the weapon… the tracers don’t always do most damage in the middle. Some weapons do the most damage at the end of the release, some are the middle. It also depends on what strike… so it’s just another misleading tip screen.

• what’s wrong with mouse dragging?

• @clayton-bigsby:

another misleading tip, depending on the weapon… the tracers don’t always do most damage in the middle. Some weapons do the most damage at the end of the release, some are the middle. It also depends on what strike… so it’s just another misleading tip screen.

Well most of them do and they have fixed many if not all of the tracers to make it do more damage in the centre.

Stabs depend on how far away the target is.

Bo staff is bugged and it does full damage regardless. A few other weapons tracers were messed up. But they have fixed many.

• @LordBenedictIronclaw:

what’s wrong with mouse dragging?

Instant-hit overheads from the slowest weapons, for one.

Clayton, that may be true, but it DOES show that there is a mechanic in DW to make different timing in the swing do different damage. I think it would be wise to include this in MW to mitigate the effectiveness of overheads, especially with everyone complaining about weapons like the halberd, which can dish out so much damage with a dragged overhead before you even see it hit you. This way, you can still use the overhead in that manner as a tactical choice, but it isn’t without that drawback to balance it.

• I don’t know about you but I can still see the windup.

• @Morgannin09:

@LordBenedictIronclaw:

Clayton, that may be true, but it DOES show that there is a mechanic in DW to make different timing in the swing do different damage. I think it would be wise to include this in MW to mitigate the effectiveness of overheads, especially with everyone complaining about weapons like the halberd, which can dish out so much damage with a dragged overhead before you even see it hit you. This way, you can still use the overhead in that manner as a tactical choice, but it isn’t without that drawback to balance it.

i’d like to try it as i said on another thread, however i think some other mechanics would have to be looked into. And honestly this would be a big change for the meta of MW… everything is blockable in there with the right timings and aim. Dragging is only complained about by newer players as most things are. The thing is, with the recovery/combo parries, dragging or the worse (feinting) are needed to get around parries for th emost part, then since it’s very difficult most of the time to get around a parry, making those nicely executed drags less effective is not necessarily a great idea.

And if you know anything about chiv’s history, the folks who complain about shit like it won’t stop complaining, they’ll just choose something else to complain about. Bringing about the drag changes also encourages more feinting, so you’ll have a shit ton more of that on your hands. If you think dragging is bad and then nerf it, people will go for the better option of feinting and cheapness thinking will be out the window. Trust that.

• @Morgannin09:

@LordBenedictIronclaw:

No.

• @Morgannin09:

And I’m wondering… WHY has this not been patched into Medieval Warfare?

It’s a very bad mechanic and I don’t get why people think it’s a good idea. No dragging? So what you want is to only be able to do full dmg if you go straight at someone, without any style or skill, just forward attacks? Those attacks are so easy to block that game becomes very boring. Blocking drags is not hard either, it’s not grantee hit. Why do drags even need to be fixed? There is nothing wrong with them, you need skill to even be able to use them right, and it make some difference between higher lvl players and new players that just got the game.
    This is how it goes in DW. You don’t drag cause you get punished for it and if you fight someone you try to bait each other. Who baits first usually loses cause missing once leaves you open since blocking is so slow there. If you don’t bait and both play carefully, you will parry each other till game ends. Unless someone feints, but if you like something as cheap as feints then why would you hate drags? What actually works in the expansion is lmb spam, thats very skillfull… The game is main stream version of mw, it feels like it’s made to be easy for everyone while slapping veterans in the face.
    Another example, you fight several people. With the dragging mechanic in dw, you will need to hit them all 4 times or more while they need to hit you 2-3 times. Is that fair? No, dragging should be left alone and actually copied from mw to dw to give the game more demensions.
    You are also not missing much by not having dw yet. The game feels broken. It’s fun, yeah, but they need to fix it before I can recommend it to anyone. Also if they patched mw with dw changes, I thick I would just leave the game and play it only sometimes when I am really bored. I bet I would not be the only one to do so.