Why I'm No Longer Excited for Deadliest Warrior

• Well, release of the final game is approaching. First off, I want to say congrats on 3.5, the game is running much smoother and overall seems more polished. And I doubt I’ll be spending much time on it.

Why? Because the increased speed has turned combat into a complete mess, to the point where I no longer feel it has the ebb and flow that made the original so special. Stabs and overheads are a joke, and most fights devolve into a group of people running around in circles tapping LMB. I’ve been playing the beta since it first came out, and I’ve been patiently waiting for something, anything really, to be done about this. And I’m now suspecting that it won’t. I know Torn Banner made a conscious decision to increase the pace of the game, and I highly doubt they’re changing their minds.

It’s a shame, because I really, really want to love this game. Hiding behind a Spartan’s insane shield or killing an opponent with a well-timed katana draw provides a kind of wacky fun that Medieval Warfare can’t match, and things like the announcer and assist points are bits of polish that I really appreciate. But as it is, I’m sorry, but it’s not for me.

I’ll probably pop on every now and then for a game or two when it gets released (I did pay for it, after all), but that’s about it. I wish you the best, Torn Banner. I just really wish you had taken this in another direction.

• I enjoy the faster pace

• Well that’s a shame, bye!
    Personally, I’m enjoying this game immensely. ^^

• I think your post can be shortened to “this is not my kinda thing” and leave it at that.

• @Mockingbirch:

Why? Because the increased speed has turned combat into a complete mess

This is where I stopped reading

• @BB:

I enjoy the faster pace

The game isn’t faster paced, you just move faster, BIG DIFFERENCE.

Vanilla Chivalry takes way more skill, timing, reaction and focus than DW.
    Much harder to block/easier to circumvent blocks in Vanilla Chivalry, you die/kill faster in Vanilla, it feels less like a RNG and more like Chess.

(for you younglings who can’t google: random number generator).

• I agree with the OP.
    Combat is just people running in a circle spamming LMB. In MW people get punished for that, but in DW people get rewarded for that. There is just so much randomness that it turns the game into a spamfest. Think i’ll stick with MW, that is, if people would still play that… Guess TB managed to split the comunity even further =/

• i started off hating the speed after a week or so of getting used to i have revised my opinion , now i just think its a bad idea that brings down the quality of the combat and the fun while promoting the LMB clip into em and combo unblockable LMB spam, well thats not fair its blockable but as they are clipping into you its guess work where you need to aim to block and when its going to hit on its arc so its double luck jeopardy.

Now i think the game braking mistake was moving away from melee combat and making a really shit COD clone. Rail pistols, shotguns, shields that fly like their fired from an Eldar shuriken caanon, spears thrown in such volume they “block out the sun”

• @BB:

I enjoy the faster pace

Aye, as I mentioned in other threads, speed gives the special spice to this game. Faster regen, faster movement > more spicy combat, more emphasis on relying on teammates since retreating to heal is so much more rewarding. I can’t be complaining.

@Mockingbirch
    If you can’t get to like the fast pace you can always return to old and slow and boring MW. 10 bucks is nothing in today’s world, sad disappointed COD players can’t say the same with their 50 bucks…

• @MissingNo:

Combat is just people running in a circle spamming LMB. In MW people get punished for that, but in DW people get rewarded for that.

No, that’s bullshit

@zumbledum:

promoting the LMB clip into em and combo unblockable LMB spam, well thats not fair its blockable but as they are clipping into you its guess work where you need to aim to block and when its going to hit on its arc so its double luck jeopardy.

No, that’s bullshit

@Swarlos:

Vanilla Chivalry takes way more skill, timing, reaction and focus than DW.

No, that’s bullshit

• @B4RK:

Well that’s a shame, bye!
    Personally, I’m enjoying this game immensely. ^^

That’s great. Believe me, I’m not saying that this game is somehow evil and you’re a bad person for enjoying it, just that I personally really dislike what they did to the Chivalry formula. But if you’re having fun, more power to you.

• @Swarlos:

The game isn’t faster paced, you just move faster, BIG DIFFERENCE.

no it’s not

@Swarlos:

Vanilla Chivalry takes way more skill

lol no it doesn’t
    MW is for noob babies at the moment

wanna know why you do better in MW?
    that’s the reason

• DW for me is kiting, lmb-mashing, missing, teamattacking, hittrading and panting… all that while being under the fire of bows, crossbows, guns, knifes, shields, shuriken and spears.

• i agree with OP to an extent, a lot of the fights seem really spammy and messy. The only times you can have good fights are typically when perhaps there are a smaller number of players, and it totally revolves around the map. On acropolis in a 32 man server for example, the middle is kind of the big fight zone with other areas around the map, stairs and such where people do some smaller battles. In the middle, it’s seriouly just a spam all fest, even the side battles if you jump into a group of 4-5, if samurai are involved you better believe people will just run around and lmb spam, mostly with inexperienced knights as well. Then you have spartans where most of them will chuck their spears out first, then run in with their secondary sword and (once again) spam their left mouse button while running in.

I don’t know what game some of you have been playing, but if you honestly think it’s NOT this way, you’re delusional.

On maps like bamboo, i’ve noticed that it’s not as spammy whatsoever, there’s plenty of sections where you can single people off and have smaller battles which make a lot more sense, in this map i don’t have the feel like it’s a spammy mess. Same thing with fortress, there are areas that become spammy in the middle when there’s a ton of teams going against each other, people just flail around and run in circles and shit like that which i guess you can call skilled, not really. The pirate map can and can not be as spammy either, most of the spammyness is definitely done on acropolis, but all of the maps have their areas of logical fighting vs. spam fighting. All the while dodging gunfire, arrows, spears, frisbee shields, knives, shurikens, etc, etc.

The entire question of how spammy it’s going to be is totally related to map, and how big teams are for the most part. And one other question of spam, are you a samurai (spamurai) or not?

Take a look in the next game you play, and see how many people use LMB alone, they say they toned down slashing, i haven’t noticed a difference in damage OR it’s constant use. It literally MUST be used half or more than half the time to actually land hits for the most part, especially faster classes. Maybe YOU aren’t spamming lmb… but i know sure as hell everyone else is. Just take a look around you and see what’s going on, take a step back from killing for a moment and just look at the crazy amound of circle run lmb is going on, and watch how many people they kill ( a lot ).

The OP was NOT incorrect when he said that spammyness is rewarded in this game, and i’m inclined to agree with that 100%

• @fvonb:

DW for me is kiting, lmb-mashing, missing, teamattacking, hittrading and panting… all that while being under the fire of bows, crossbows, guns, knifes, shields, shuriken and spears.

/thread

• Yarrrgh it be:

Chivalry Thrown Away: Deadliest Arrow/thrown-shield/crossbow-bolt/shuriken/LSD-Dust-Cloud/pistol-bullet/blunderbuss-bullets/thrown-weapon/spear in the back Warrior!

Ranged weaponry aside. I think that the game is cool. Sure it’s faster paced. Sure it’s not competitive at all and no competitive clans will touch it with a barge pole. Sure there’s an LMB maniac proliferation…

But…

It still makes skyrim feel like a 1990’s arcade game by comparison and probably worth your £10.

• @fvonb:

DW for me is kiting, lmb-mashing, missing, teamattacking, hittrading and panting… all that while being under the fire of bows, crossbows, guns, knifes, shields, shuriken and spears.

This is literally the most accurate description of it. Terrible.

• @CRUSHED:

@fvonb:

This is literally the most accurate description of it. Terrible.

Well I don’t see kiting then again down here nobody kites in oceanic servers any more in MW anyway. LMB spamming can be combatted, though if you combat the enemy LMB spamming there’s not much you can do with your allies doing it team damaging everyone.

I used misses in MW and was one of the only people to do it. Now everybody is doing it.

There’s a greater variety of ranged combat but there isn’t really more of it. Though I suppose running into a group of Vikings in LTS you can get a whole bunch of crap thrown at you. All can be parried though.

Only the spammers and turtlers run out of stamina. Or if you get mobbed and manage to survive for a while.

And hit trading happens for a variety of reasons. People are more aggressive, there’s all those spammers etc.

• I have an easier time countering kiting here than I did in MW

• OP has a point, the game has a lot of figure eight warriors who do nothing but slash, even when it hits their own teammates.

Even the Clans like ODG does that, watching a whole bunch of people in a clan do circles with a no dachi is somewhat disapointing.