UDK - Level Creation Tutorials

• I have Never used UDK but if it’s easier than Hammer editior for Source I’m definetly trying this out. Well, it should be since Torn banner themselves moved from Source to UE3.

• UDK is a really great tool to work with, also more and more games use it so once you learn it you can use it for another game! Just go there http://www.unrealengine.com/udk/ and download the latest version and you can directly start working on something

• Interesting stuff…think il give it a go :P

• so i have started learning how to use the udk (bucky basic tut 32 right now), but one question is remaining, how can i test it in chivalry? is that even possible “right” now?

edit:

reached tutorial part 47- Kismet is awesome!

still not knowing how i am supposed to get it working with chivalry :/

i guess, right now it will not work? do we have to wait until the modtools are released before we can test our custommaps in chivalry? - so you see i AM a big newbie in this field, any help/ advice is appreciated!

• Glad you’ve been getting so far with the tutorials :) Helped me massively!

We have to wait for the chivalry mod tools to be released,this gives us access to modding the game directly such as, for example; adding objectives, using the assets (Textures/materials/models etc) in the editor and of course releasing content into the community. As we do not have this yet, the most we can do for now is become familiarised with the tools, create the foundations of a map and wait for the chivalry mod tools to finish it off with the games content.

Hope this helps :)

• @Scorp:

Glad you’ve been getting so far with the tutorials :) Helped me massively!

We have to wait for the chivalry mod tools to be released,this gives us access to modding the game directly such as, for example; adding objectives, using the assets (Textures/materials/models etc) in the editor and of course releasing content into the community. As we do not have this yet, the most we can do for now is become familiarised with the tools, create the foundations of a map and wait for the chivalry mod tools to finish it off with the games content.

Hope this helps :)

Sounds good, I suppose it would be more efficient to use existing chivalry assets wherever possible rather than re-creating them. I have had a play with the UDK and can’t wait for official mod tools!

• does anyone know around when the chivalry mod tools get released?

• @Dice:

does anyone know around when the chivalry mod tools get released?

we are monthS away from the release, tibberius said … :/

edit:

first there will be a content update:

maps, duel mode, weapons?

then there will be sure as hell a patch for fixing more bugs and balancing issues,

and only then they might want to release the modtools.
    trust me i am the sadest knight on this world, right now.

• @Tryntyrion:

@Dice:

does anyone know around when the chivalry mod tools get released?

we are monthS away from the release, tibberius said … :/

edit:

first there will be a content update:

maps, duel mode, weapons?

then there will be sure as hell a patch for fixing more bugs and balancing issues,

and only then they might want to release the modtools.
    trust me i am the sadest knight on this world, right now.

I think the SDK release should be prioritized, of course there will still be a dead zone between sdk release and community content being realized. The current maps are getting stale quick and unless the content patch doubles the map count its not going to do much to alleviate the issue. In my meager opinion the best path would be to get the SDK out the door asap so the community can get on it.

• The current maps are getting stale quick and unless the content patch doubles the map count its not going to do much to alleviate the issue. In my meager opinion the best path would be to get the SDK out the door asap so the community can get on it.

I totaly agree with you! The maps are really awesome, but to ensure longt-term game fun there need to be much more maps in my opinion. There is so much potential!

• @McT and Dice

pls post here:
    viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6590

• What I’d like to know is how I can set up spawn points and objectives.
    Which release of UDK is Chivalry running on? Tried importing Chivalry packages into UDK that I’ve got installed, and it disagreed with me. Apparently I’m running a version that’s too new. (859, when Chivalry packages are of version 850)
    What is the player scale in-game? How high can a player jump, how low can he crouch?
    Can an uncooked map be uploaded anywhere so mappers can take a look at how objectives are set up in Kismet? (And other important Chivalry-specific stuff too)

Is there a wiki with answers to this anywhere?

• @zenarion:

What I’d like to know is how I can set up spawn points and objectives.
    Which release of UDK is Chivalry running on? Tried importing Chivalry packages into UDK that I’ve got installed, and it disagreed with me. Apparently I’m running a version that’s too new. (859, when Chivalry packages are of version 850)
    What is the player scale in-game? How high can a player jump, how low can he crouch?
    Can an uncooked map be uploaded anywhere so mappers can take a look at how objectives are set up in Kismet? (And other important Chivalry-specific stuff too)

Is there a wiki with answers to this anywhere?

These questions will be answered when the official mod tools are released (customized version of the UDKEditor with all of the assets and scripts).

• @Scorp:

While as far as I am aware the Chivalry mod tools will be a post-release, you can still very much begin level design for the game now. Although you will need the official Chivalry mod tools to implement your creations into the game, you can use the UDK to begin creating your missions pre-release.

Guess not.

• Any ETA on when the mod tools will be released?

• @OmmNomNom:

Any ETA on when the mod tools will be released?

I think that is one of the focuses after this content update. Only ETA is before 2014 for now…

• Hopefully the SDK comes along soon…. I have a few weapons I’d like to model and bring into the game like a Kilij… and shields such as a Targe.

• @Cpt-Praxius:

Hopefully the SDK comes along soon…. I have a few weapons I’d like to model and bring into the game like a Kilij… and shields such as a Targe.

You can start modeling now!

• @ReMixx:

@Cpt-Praxius:

Hopefully the SDK comes along soon…. I have a few weapons I’d like to model and bring into the game like a Kilij… and shields such as a Targe.

You can start modeling now!

Indeed.

You could also download UDK and import and test everything in there. Make sure it looks right in Unreal.

Once the SDK is out you should just be able to import the package into Chivalry’s SDK and it’d all be ready to go near enough.

• Is this ever going to see the light of day?