Perspective and ping problems

• The first thing i’d like to report that i’m having a problem with is perspectives. What I mean by that is that in the first person mode, a man at arms with a broadsword looks 5 feet away. He lunges for a stab, but it turns out he was about 2 feet away and hits me. Other problems like this have been occurring recently, and I think its because of the way the camera is set up. Even when someone stabs at you, the blade will appear to go off screen to your right, i.e. miss; yet, the stab hits you. For some reason it is difficult to gauge where you really are, and where the camera might make you appear. That’s why, recently, 3rd person has been way more effective. Anyway, on to the second problem.

The second problem is ping. I have a great internet connection usually; about 12 mb/s download and 1.9 mb/s upload. I join a server that says west coast, and i’m in California, yet my ping is 100+ every game. Not sure if it’s the server’s fault, my internet provider’s fault, or maybe because California is too far from the server location (no clue where it is).

These two problems have been making this game a horrible experience for me lately, would love if something could be done about them.

Thank you.

• @Bigblase1:

The first thing i’d like to report that i’m having a problem with is perspectives. What I mean by that is that in the first person mode, a man at arms with a broadsword looks 5 feet away. He lunges for a stab, but it turns out he was about 2 feet away and hits me. Other problems like this have been occurring recently, and I think its because of the way the camera is set up. Even when someone stabs at you, the blade will appear to go off screen to your right, i.e. miss; yet, the stab hits you. For some reason it is difficult to gauge where you really are, and where the camera might make you appear. That’s why, recently, 3rd person has been way more effective. Anyway, on to the second problem.

The second problem is ping. I have a great internet connection usually; about 12 mb/s download and 1.9 mb/s upload. I join a server that says west coast, and i’m in California, yet my ping is 100+ every game. Not sure if it’s the server’s fault, my internet provider’s fault, or maybe because California is too far from the server location (no clue where it is).

These two problems have been making this game a horrible experience for me lately, would love if something could be done about them.

Thank you.

Chivalry calculates the projection matrix like any other 3D game. You’re just misjudging distance. You might want to try adjusting your field of view. If you use 16:9 use 106 deg, 16:10 100 deg, 4:3 90 deg.

• Yeah changing FOV will help a lot with judging distances. I use FOV of 108 on my widescreen.

Additionally, you have to remember that you are, really, just a hitbox that extends beyond your own vision It can take some time to learn how close is too close.

Ping is just how quickly the servers can communicate back and forth. Download/upload speeds (capacity) don’t matter. A 1.5 Meg connection is just as fast to the server as a 20 Meg connection. The only difference is how quickly large files will download. There are no large files in multiplayer matches.

When you look for a server, sort by the lowest ping. Or use the server filter to show only <100 servers.

• I also have ping problems. Depending on the day.
    West coast canada.
    Doing a speedtest to the next city over i can get pings steadily in the low teens, no such luck with chiv servers (reliably anyway)
    Some nights seem worse than others…. I can hit servers with pings under 30 one day and the next that same server will be approaching 200.
    I’ve power cycled many times, taken any extra traffic down ( got the wife to unplug so i could test) and reinstalled. Nothing seems to help

• Thanks for the FOV tips, that fixed it. And I think a part of it is just my lag. It’s really infuriating because i’m in California, which is pretty freaking west if you ask me. Not sure where these servers are but my speed tests are usually fine. It’s just kind of ridiculous to me my ping is so f-ing high all the damn time. Not sure if it’s a recent patch or the servers or what but I don’t really think it’s my internet or anything like that. Wish they would help.