Question about viking.

• Haven’t played/preordered the beta yet and I only heard a bit about this game. Does the viking have a longbow in their available weapons or if not is there a chance it will be added in an update? It would be a nice feature since they did use longbows along with their swords, axes etc etc irl

• No they don’t have a long bow.

But they can throw most of their weapons including their shield. The only thing they can’t throw is the spear. Though the size of the spear is pretty large it would be an awkward thing to throw.

No idea if torn banner has any plans to introduce more weapons.

• I saw the shield and sword throwing on a gameplay clip on youtube it looked pretty cool but odd lol I don’t recall vikings ever throwing their weapons except for some kinds of spears, daggers/knives that were balanced to be able to be thrown, and throwing axes

• @gamerdude535:

I saw the shield and sword throwing on a gameplay clip on youtube it looked pretty cool but odd lol I don’t recall vikings ever throwing their weapons except for some kinds of spears, daggers/knives that were balanced to be able to be thrown, and throwing axes

There’s 3 axes a sword and a big hammer. Not as big as the maul but two handed. They can all be thrown. And the shield can be thrown. The shield goes the furthest and it uses the quick throw key to throw instead of the windup to throw key.

They also have a two handed spear which is the shortest out of all two handed spears in the game but its still very large and wouldn’t go very far because it would be very awkward to throw.

All classes have a ranged ability.
    Spartans throw spears.
    Vikings throw everything else.
    Pirate has guns (they aren’t that powerful people are just scared of them).
    Knight has crossbow and throwing knives.
    Samurai has yumi bow
    Ninja has Shurikens, smoke bombs and a stun bomb.

Samurai is probably the worst out of the lot as currently the yumi bow sucks really bad. They will lose pretty much all ranged skirmishes.

Vikings and samurai can be very devastating when they charge in as a group. And in LTS everyone is is a group. They are very good against Samurai and pirates on the charge though against samurai they charge with all the throwing better have done some serious damage otherwise you might lose. Knights have shields an ninja are harder targets to hit. Samurai are very good in melee.

Shurikens are great in melee combat. You can take a step back and throw one as they have a sleight of hand ability meaning they don’t have to swap to their range weapon to throw it they just throw it with their man weapon out. Makes it very good in melee. Smoke bombs can really confuse other ranged units who like to waste their ammo into the smoke.

Pirates are very good in groups. People fear them. And that’s how they win. They are actually very vulnerable. Every sine leg other class except ninja can charge across open group and get them while being shot at. Very useful if you group up and charge the pirates. You don’t even need shields though shields do reduce the damage from bullets by a further 70%. The pistole deals a lot of damage if it hits but is inaccurate. The blunderbuss is a shotgun that can destroy closely packed groups of people. So best when charging in a group to be in a lose formation.

Knights have a crossbow with is the most accurate weapon in the game. Can one hit headshot pirates. A group if knights with crossbows can actually beat a group of pirates. The pistol is very inaccurate and the blunderbuss tickles people or even misses completely at range. Knights can safely reload at a medium distance and be largely fine against pirates.

That’s all the ranged combat pretty much and a few of the advantages and disadvantages.

• everyone wants to shoot things don’t they?

• @lemonator I found out a few of those things not too long ago lol I find it very very odd that knights get crossbows considering knights prefered melee and felt using bows and crossbows was dishonorable.

Although according to the deadliest warrior show knights used crossbows which is why it was put in the game I’m guessing. And looks like the samurai’s yumi could use a buff I feel sorry for the people that like using it but have to put up with it being underpowered.

And thanks for the tips against pirates lol knowing that and not being scared of the guns would help a lot

• @lemonater47:

The pistole deals a lot of damage if it hits but is inaccurate.

It’s actually EXTREMELY accurate. Quick tip: crouch before you shoot, and watch the spread of those crosshairs shrink to a pinpoint. The only reason I don’t successfully snipe across the map with it every time is because I’m not great with the firing delay. But overall, it’s the fastest, most accurate projectile in the game.

• @Mockingbirch:

@lemonater47:

The pistole deals a lot of damage if it hits but is inaccurate.

It’s actually EXTREMELY accurate. Quick tip: crouch before you shoot, and watch the spread of those crosshairs shrink to a pinpoint. The only reason I don’t successfully snipe across the map with it every time is because I’m not great with the firing delay. But overall, it’s the fastest, most accurate projectile in the game.

Every other projectile is more accurate to begin with. Crouching makes it on the pinpoint.

The bullet actually goes outside those crosshairs. Those crosshairs don’t actually work properly.

Yes it makes it more accurate when you crouch. But not 100%. Its still the most inaccurate weapon in the game.

And the 0.2 second firing delay really puts people off at close range. And thats where you want to be. People are too scared to face the pirates which means they stay at range. Running in close means they get less shots on you take less time to aim and eventually get mullered in melee as they aren’t great in group combat.

• What’s hard to understand about viking?

Left click then left click again.

Struggling to succeed? Throw your weapon/shield before you left click and then left click like mad as usual.

This viking summary was brought to you by Supreme Dalek.

• @trooper:

What’s hard to understand about viking?

Left click then left click again.

Struggling to succeed? Throw your weapon/shield before you left click and then left click like mad as usual.

This viking summary was brought to you by Supreme Dalek.

No no no.

This is how you play Viking.

• the above nails it; I think viking should have the bow but then again I’m the guy that thinks all classes should be more historically correct… hell I don’t know where they got the dual wield idea.

• @Arebasu:

the above nails it; I think viking should have the bow but then again I’m the guy that thinks all classes should be more historically correct… hell I don’t know where they got the dual wield idea.

Its in a few Viking saga’s. Still it was very rare and it was only for a battle or part of one by a few individuals.

• Actually, viking skirmishers used an axe and sword in conjunction together quite often. Not in big battles, no, but vikings rarely partook in big battles as a whole; they were raiders first and foremost.

The axe/sword combo wasn’t very defensible in a group, but against isolated shield-users, it allowed the viking to hook the axe into the shield, rip it away, then stab with the sword. Since wooden shields were extremely popular in Europe at the time, it was a viable tactic.

• I can see it wrking regardless of shield type, there’s even kenjutsu techniques against shields. One such example is (assuming you can close distance); you grab the shield and hook it using your swords handle and grab their sword arm with your other hand. Then using leverage you angle your blade to their neck and hopefully end it there.

• Seems someone forgot to mention the Pirate can throw his pistol.

• @Arebasu:

the above nails it; I think viking should have the bow but then again I’m the guy that thinks all classes should be more historically correct… hell I don’t know where they got the dual wield idea.

I really really hope there will be a few stalwart modders who will create a mod or two, with the focus on historical accuracy! That is something I would love to play!

Also, if they somehow managed to, by tweaking game mechanics and such, to create realistic battle scenarios. DW is pretty much a fast-paced hack-n-slash. MW is too, to a lesser degree. Personally, I actually enjoy a slower pace, so that everyone just won’t run into enemies, causing a big clusterfuck with no clear ranks, and a lot of people going solo because they dance around and stuff. I would love if the game environment actually promoted everyone to stick together and actually keep some sort of formation. Oh, and to promote using a shield, because shields were really good and people used them for thousands of years, but in Chivalry, most people seem to prefer NOT having a shield.

That’s just me though.

• I so love shields. If going for historical accuracy, the Viking should have his longbow and fewer throwables. Limit them to single-hand axes and the shield only perhaps. Not to mention the non-useable sax knife that sits sheathed behind too… Also no war hammer, instead a proper dane axe I had been hoping for since MW!

With the sharp point, it could function similarly to the bardiche in MW but much shorter or the poleaxe minus the blunt damage overheads. As for dual-wielding, it kinda sits on the same level as shield-tossing historically IIRC. It can stay.

• People who complain about, or say that viking is only LMB spam must be pathetic at the game. Their ability is mostly useless and lmb spamming aint any better than with any other class. LMB spamming vikings are super easy to deal with just like… any other class.

When I play viking I mostly use slashes vs many opponents because its the safest flincher if they’re not straight ahead of me and I can hit many opponents… other than that I use overheds and stabs just as much depending on what I think will penetrate my opponents defenses. I also don’t combo that much unless the guy is completely thrown off ^^

• @Jaina:

… it kinda sits on the same level as shield-tossing historically IIRC. It can stay.

My issue with the viking throwing is the ranges don’t exactly fit, seems a bit far doesn’t it?

• @Arebasu:

@Jaina:

… it kinda sits on the same level as shield-tossing historically IIRC. It can stay.

My issue with the viking throwing is the ranges don’t exactly fit, seems a bit far doesn’t it?

hehe eah every viking shield thrower is Captain America. Range on that is crazy, makes you think it weighs light as a feather.