Patch FPS

• Hello!!! This is still my favorite game in the world. I’ve been playing deadliest for a bit too.
    Just wanted to say ever since either last patch in CMW or the patch before:
    My FPS dropped below 25-ish. I’m not sure what happened there, I’ve lost almost 15fps since then.
    Games pretty hard to play if your frames can’t keep up with your movements. =/
    I run on lowest settings.

• Its quite possible that the customization update hit performace in some way - you just have more patterns and colors to load and to render. But I don’t know how it is handled in Chivalry so it could be perfectly possible that customization had no effect at all.

Then there are the background mechanics - collision, tracers, timers etc. If you solve a particularly nasty bug via workaround you might cut down performace slightly. Multiplied by player (or particle etc.) count this could decrease performance significantly - most notable on weaker PC’s.

• I’m blaming the official maps… On all custom maps (except Malrics manor - its very detailed) i have 60 FPS on a 30p full server.

When i join darkforest (24p) i have like 10-30 fps…

• Dark forest is bad because of the rain.

Though you have to realise that most of the custom maps are not TO so they are often about 1/4 of the size of a TO map.

• Well try playing on Blue Hour then (Big map, lots of details) = max fps even on a 30p server.

I mean come on, even on the arena map I have like the same fps as on darkforest.

• @Vesanus:

Well try playing on Blue Hour then (Big map, lots of details) = max fps even on a 30p server.

I mean come on, even on the arena map I have like the same fps as on darkforest.

Blue hour isn’t that big either. Its one objective. It has a few trees some buildings and detail around the spawns. Not saying the map is bad but just look at the detail and size compared to a vanilla TO map.

And on the arena map I get a high FPS until everyone starts dying and there’s 200 bodies on the floor.

• OP try cleaning the fan/heat sink on your graphics card.

• If your FPS dropped since the patch, the problem likely lies with your CPU. Overclock it son.

• lol apologists

@OP, your lower FPS has nothing to do with dust, overclocking or any other reason that’s under your control. Every patch released by TB has made Chivalry run worse, period.

I remember when I first bought the game, I maxed everything while recording and didn’t think twice about it. After each consecutive patch, I’ve had to reduce settings to achieve the same performance.

This game is the very definition of a poorly optimized title.

However, each patch has reset all of my graphical settings, so you may want to check and make sure the game didn’t stealth all your settings back up to max.

• @HEXEN:

lol apologists

@OP, your lower FPS has nothing to do with dust, overclocking or any other reason that’s under your control. Every patch released by TB has made Chivalry run worse, period.

I remember when I first bought the game, I maxed everything while recording and didn’t think twice about it. After each consecutive patch, I’ve had to reduce settings to achieve the same performance.

This game is the very definition of a poorly optimized title.

However, each patch has reset all of my graphical settings, so you may want to check and make sure the game didn’t stealth all your settings back up to max.

I don’t know about you but its been a poorly optimised mess since the beginning. My FPS while recording has actually improved though I think that’s to do with bandicam improving lots with updates over the past year.

• Yeah Chivalry doesn’t run well on my machine either and I’ve bugged TB about it a lot, but guess what!?

• Or torn banner can’t.

• Sounds to me like the FPS issues come from particle effects… Which I haven’t seen much of in custom maps and are present in all the official maps. Dark forest especially due to the rain.

Did you try reducing your particles on the settings? That solved a lot of FPS issues for me in a lot of games. Im currently running on Medium.

• I was running the game on an Intel Q6600 Quad and a GeForce GTS 450 1GB. Had HUGE FPS issues at first. Learned something about how the game handles PhysX processing. It sends it ALL to CPU, thereby making it a very CPU intensive game. Set the PhysX processing for my PC to run GPU only in the nvidia control panel and had no more issues. Could even run the game near maxed, minus a few niggles. Try that out, see if it works for you. Worked wonders for me. I’ve since upgraded my PC, but I STILL set it to GPU only… I hate bogging my CPU down needlessly.

• since the SDK & CU2 patch 1.2 patch (the most recent), my game takes about 2 minutes to load on launch now (before was around 30 seconds), map load times are noticeably longer than before, and I experience about 3–5 in-game freezes (FPS drops to zero for 1–3 seconds) a map where I only rarely experienced freezes

I posted this here if your curious, but I got nothing: http://www.tornbanner.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=24011

EDIT: forget to say that in general I do NOT think my FPS has dropped from that patch

• My FPS has become more inconsistent since last patch. Also, my game and level load times like quadrupled.

• To clear a few things out.

Chivalry’s code is not nicely written. Bad design choices, bad organization, overpacked conditional testing, expensive looping, etc.
    Combined with the fact that UDK is single-threaded (the engine might create new threads, but the game itself will run with no parallelism nor multi-processing capabilities).
    With that being said, overclocking your CPU WILL improve your overall game performance. It wastes so much CPU time in a single core/CPU that the faster your core/CPU runs, the faster you process all those useless instructions.

Back when the customization update was released, my performance significantly dropped to a point where I began benchmarking both CPU and GPU usage.
    My GPU was always bottlenecked by the CPU, no matter which graphics setting I set it to.
    For reference, I’m running a C2D E6750 overclocked to 3.2ghz and an ATI HD 5770 overclocked to 950/1350.
    Maps like Citadel were unplayable for me with the server running at 32/32.

What TBS should’ve done instead of adding even more code into an already bad structure (Deadliest Warriors), was to hire someone with the single purpose of restructuring and cleaning their code.
    The more you add into an already bad code, the more expensive and long the process to restructure it becomes.
    Restructuring their code would lead to several benefits such as improved performance, improved debugging, improved code expansion and removal of a significant quantity of bugs as the process goes (mainly the tricky ones).
    Projects that start as amateur eventually tend to do that as they become more professional.
    But meh, that’s TBS being TBS.

• @Cthulhu:

For reference, I’m running a C2D E6750 overclocked to 3.2ghz and an ATI HD 5770

That’s a pretty low end system, I’m surprised you can even boot the game given how atrocious it’s resource utilization is. My system is like 8 times faster and I still have trouble. I bet you can run well optimized games like BF3 at medium settings though.

• @5hassay:

…in general I do NOT think my FPS has dropped from that patch

Hence, my suggestion for Mr rite to clean the fan/heat sink on his graphics card. My old computer was dropping to 12fps sometimes in games where there were many players on the screen. Prior to that issue i had noticed a steady decrease in FPS performance. Same thing has happened previously over the years and i’ve burnt out two graphics cards. On each occasion it was dust in the fan/heat sink. Having thoroughly cleaned my graphics card on this occasion i gained 6-8fps which might not sounds like much, but compared to dropping down to 12fps!!! its good. It meant a minimum of 18-20 FPS which was somewhat more playable.

• @giantyak:

clean the fan/heat sink on his graphics card.

That’s doesn’t help unless your PC is this dusty.