Idea: Shorter Parry Windows

• Hello, dear readers.

After playing a bit more with the Sarissa (the longest spear the Spartans can use) I was inspired to write this post. See, the Sarissa has a significantly shorter parry window than all the other weapons in the game. I’d like to see more weapons behaving like this. This would mean two thing:

1. You need to time your parry better in order to be successful in blocking an attack. Not only does this embrace skillful parrying, but it also means that delays are actually possible for opponents to land with many weapons, not just the Nodachi. I think we’d see deeper and more fun combat if most other weapons also had the time during which a parry is active reduced.
    2. You can raise your parry more frequently. This means that if you panic and parry too early, there’s actually a chance you’ll get your second parry up just in time to parry a really slow attack. And just like that, the feints that most players still moan complain about will not be as easy to pull off.

That said, I haven’t given this idea too much thought. I’m not saying that all parries should behave like the Sarrisa’s, nor am i saying anything necessarily should be changed regarding the parry frames, but I really think it’d be interesting to try this idea out some time in the future. What do the rest of you think?

• Nah, parry just needs to be smaller/much more difficult to execute rather than time.

• @magilla:

Nah, parry just needs to be smaller/much more difficult to execute rather than time.

Well, that one’s a no brainer.

• @B4RK:

See, the Sarissa has a significantly shorter parry window than all the other weapons in the game.

pretty sure all the weapons have a shorter parry time than MW

there’s some way to check but I don’t know it

• So you’re suggesting making the parry window shorter to make parrying more skillfull… there’s already a mechanic to make you require much more precise parries, it’s called feinting.

So what you are suggesting is completely pointless as long as feints exist in the game.

• @kywild:

So you’re suggesting making the parry window shorter to make parrying more skillfull… there’s already a mechanic to make you require much more precise parries, it’s called feinting.

So what you are suggesting is completely pointless as long as feints exist in the game.

If someone were to drag delay basically any strike in the game, I could easily press the parry button at the same time I’d do to parry any other strike and still manage to parry the delay in current DW.
    Just saying, I think shorter parry windows could make drags viable in DW too.
    Also, I wan’t suggesting actually changing the game like that, I just wanted to get some feedback on the idea. If enough people liked it, maybe they could try it out in a beta sometime or something. But I digress.

• It’s an interesting concept but looking at the negatives, i see a lot of spam parries happening.

Whilst 1 v 1 this is not a problem, if you’re up against multiple opponents this would be very frustrating.

• @Sol:

Whilst 1 v 1 this is not a problem, if you’re up against multiple opponents this would be very frustrating.

Oh yeah, hadn’t thought of that aspect… That is true.

Perhaps just making the parry windows shorter and the cooldown in between them longer would provide that extra excitement (or perhaps frustration) of crucial timing? I really can’t get this idea out of my head.

• @B4RK:

@Sol:

Oh yeah, hadn’t thought of that aspect… That is true.

Perhaps just making the parry windows shorter and the cooldown in between them longer would provide that extra excitement (or perhaps frustration) of crucial timing? I really can’t get this idea out of my head.

Making cooldown between parrys longer would even further ruin the control people have over their characters, and once again make a wave of players quit the game just like in CMW. They should make the cooldown between parrys even shorter of anything, and make parrying harder (make parry hitboxes smaller) so that you can skillfully parry multiple opponents.

I don’t see how this whole ‘lets put up artificial barriers to cap how good people can become at this game’ is rewarding to the players that actually matters and deserve to be rewarded: the ones that play alot and practises to become better…

It IS NOT UNFAIR that a good player can block 3-4 people at the same time no matter how much people keep saying it is. It requires skill to do it vs 1 guy, vs 2-4 mroe it requires exponentionally more skill and awareness.

• Its poor coordination, teamwork and timing on your opponents part if you manage to parry all 4 of them in one parry.

• @lemonater47:

Its poor coordination, teamwork and timing on your opponents part if you manage to parry all 4 of them in one parry.

Wasnt talking about 1 parry, was talking about using footwork, timing their attacks and using sound for attacks coming behind you to keep parrying them. Something already made harder with CFTP gone so you dont have as many attack opportunities.

• @kywild:

@lemonater47:

Its poor coordination, teamwork and timing on your opponents part if you manage to parry all 4 of them in one parry.

Wasnt talking about 1 parry, was talking about using footwork, timing their attacks and using sound for attacks coming behind you to keep parrying them. Something already made harder with CFTP gone so you dont have as many attack opportunities.

Yes CFtP made group fighting better but made 1v1 horrible. Turtling without shields. The way it was accidentally implemented meant you could be highly aggressive with little cost to yourself.

And made were duels boring when you and your opponent used it. Who runs out of stamina first. Forced to use it too. Didn’t take timing or skill just reaction.

With it gone it makes footwork and positioning in 1vN fights even more necessary. I try to make it so I’m only facing one of them at a time or I try and make them whack each other. That’s the more fun option. Tough you don’t get the kill it does make them very cautious usually if there are still other team mates around after they just tked someone.

• @lemonater47:

Yes CFtP made group fighting better but made 1v1 horrible. Turtling without shields. The way it was accidentally implemented meant you could be highly aggressive with little cost to yourself.

What? Everytime you cftp you put yourself closer to losing the duel + you could still punish people for missing even when cftp was there. Just l2p and stop your nonsense comments, I don’t even know where you come up with these ideas.

• @lemonater47:

Yes CFtP made group fighting better but made 1v1 horrible.

LOL

Doing CFTP in 1v1s against good players was a big big mistake :D

• @B4RK:

@kywild:

So you’re suggesting making the parry window shorter to make parrying more skillfull… there’s already a mechanic to make you require much more precise parries, it’s called feinting.

If someone were to drag delay basically any strike in the game, I could easily press the parry button at the same time I’d do to parry any other strike and still manage to parry the delay in current DW.
    Just saying, I think shorter parry windows could make drags viable in DW too.
    Also, I wan’t suggesting actually changing the game like that, I just wanted to get some feedback on the idea. If enough people liked it, maybe they could try it out in a beta sometime or something. But I digress.

If something makes dragging more viable, it needs to not happen.
    Dragging needs to disappear entirely.

• Double post***

• Ok. I’ve noticed when I have used sarisa I’ve been like, immune to feints.
    Don’t know if this is intentional but. Feints mean nothing to me when I use sarissa. I just keep parrying.

• Question: now that the game is released, did the parry box get reduced?

• @BB:

@B4RK:

See, the Sarissa has a significantly shorter parry window than all the other weapons in the game.

pretty sure all the weapons have a shorter parry time than MW

there’s some way to check but I don’t know it

b is that you?…

also how the heck do you pm someone on this site?..