Looking for LD specific information

• I’m looking to get started on a custom map project, and am trying to track down some basic info. I found the player metrics info on the wiki, however some other information would help. I’m looking for specifically…

-World metric size (what are some examples of current world sizes of the official levels?)
    -Objective mode setup, I have been unable to find any information on this so far.
    -Some recommended workflows, what works best for Chivalry level design?

This should be enough to get me started, thanks in advance.

-Deej

• World Metric varies between levels. There is no real set standard. Playtesting in the early blockout phases is recommended to nail the perfect distances.

There are example maps included in the Content SDK folder, detailing the basic setup for TO maps.

My personal work flow, is to start with Grey Box meshes, and play test heavily. Don’t bother trying to make it look pretty until it plays good. This also makes it less of a pain to change things. Many people seem to be using landscape for their first pass, I would recommend against it.

CHV_CS_Town_Base has some good blocking plane meshes.

I recommend this for the material:

Material’CHV_Material_Pack.Materials.Masters.M_Standard_2SIDED_Master’

Examples of early CMW duel maps.
    Shipyard and Cistern

[attachment=1:ydu2jd91]2013-11-14 11_11_14-AOCTD-Duel - Unreal Editor for Chivalry_ Medieval Warfare (64-bit, DX9).png[/attachment:ydu2jd91]
    [attachment=0:ydu2jd91]2013-11-14 11_12_14-AOCTD-Duel - Unreal Editor for Chivalry_ Medieval Warfare (64-bit, DX9).png[/attachment:ydu2jd91]

• @Andrew:

My personal work flow, is to start with Grey Box meshes, and play test heavily. Don’t bother trying to make it look pretty until it plays good.

^This. So many people have given me the feedback “cool map but it doesn’t look very nice, make it look pretty”. I understand why they say that but especially when making a multi-stage TO map there’s no point spending ages making everything look nice only to find you need to rip it all up to fix a balancing and/or coding issue.

@Andrew:

This also makes it less of a pain to change things. Many people seem to be using landscape for their first pass, I would recommend against it.

Yeah I’m only in the process now of converting terrain to landscape. I thought maybe I should have just started with a landscape. Why do you suggest terrain to begin with?

• Thanks for the tips, just what I needed.

• @Dr:

@Andrew:

My personal work flow, is to start with Grey Box meshes, and play test heavily. Don’t bother trying to make it look pretty until it plays good.

^This. So many people have given me the feedback “cool map but it doesn’t look very nice, make it look pretty”. I understand why they say that but especially when making a multi-stage TO map there’s no point spending ages making everything look nice only to find you need to rip it all up to fix a balancing and/or coding issue.

@Andrew:

This also makes it less of a pain to change things. Many people seem to be using landscape for their first pass, I would recommend against it.

Yeah I’m only in the process now of converting terrain to landscape. I thought maybe I should have just started with a landscape. Why do you suggest terrain to begin with?

Not terrain, but grey box. Block out slopes with 10-30 degree ramps. You can then put landscape over it later. I would recommend not using Terrain, it is a legacy UDK item that hasn’t been updated in years.

• @Andrew:

@Dr:

@Andrew:

@Andrew:

Not terrain, but grey box. Block out slopes with 10-30 degree ramps. You can then put landscape over it later. I would recommend not using Terrain, it is a legacy UDK item that hasn’t been updated in years.

Oh I see. Yeah terrain is giving me and a few other modders problems with people ALT-Tabbing out of the game and back again and the terrain completely disappears. I think I was using old tutorials when I started which still used terrain.