Future tournament ideas?

• I know, people be like “Ninja, we just had two tournaments on back-to-back weekends… Give it a break!”
    …Negative, tournaments are fun, exciting, intense and even with all the drama they are entertaining. So bring it on, and keep it up. I mean “attempt” to keep it civil, but if it gets out of hand I’m just gonna grab some popcorn (JACOB!?!) and watch it all unfold :D . You can’t lie that it’s entertaining? But without a further introduction some of my ideas for future and hopefully upcoming tournaments.

Ideas
    3v3–-> I feel you could allow one archer. You also could make it be all melee either way I think a 3v3 would be a nice twist of things. It’d be a simple twist but it provide for an untouched tournament format, who knows who would win.

CTF–-> The real question is why hasn’t there been a CTF tournament?

Pickup tournament–-> This one gets a little complex and I haven’t finalized anything yet. So far this is what I have came up with. So as the title states it is a pickup tournament. Meaning people sign up as individuals and teams/rosters are developed later on in the tournament. The method I propose is this; when someone signs up they also pick a captain (the captain will eventually pick the team). The captains would be decided by the top number of captains voted in by the participants. The number of captains selected would be determined by the number of participants or by participant cap limit. I’d suggest that the sing up be one week in advance to the tournament so that the pickup team would have at least one week to organize a few scrims with their team. This would allow for some strategies & team development to develop… Again this is all tentative, I thought of this a little over a month ago and just never got around to upload the idea. I mean pickup scrims/matches are common, but never in a tournament style format. I think i’d be fun, but year extremely balanced. I haven’t been apart of that many pickup games but every one that I have been involved in has been really close.

Example: For simplicity issues say 10 people signed-up (meaning 10 votes). Each person would have then voted for one captain. Say that Ninja received four votes, SoloDolo two votes, Bigs three votes and Height received one. With this outcome of votes. I’d be one captain, then the next highest votes would be the second captain, in this case it would be Bigs. We would then figure out some method to determine drafting order.

Multi-class duel tournament–> Every duel tournament that I’ve noticed has been player vs player with no limitations on what class they can play. I suggest a duel tournament that enforces every class to be played and a scoring system of some sort that would separate the participants. The idea that I have is:
    1.) Each person duels best of 3 OR first to three with each class. So the first day is Knight, second is vanguard, third is maa, fourth is archer…
    2.) When you dueled someone you would use every class before you would advance in the brackets, most wins advances?
    3.) You could limit it to same class vs same class OR you could let the participant decide but limiting the amount that he/she could use one class versus a certain player. I honestly don’t like this idea because I think it’d be more balanced having same class vs same class. But that isn’t for me to decide.
    I think this tournament depending on the amount of participants would take awhile to complete but I think it would be interesting.

Same class vs Same class tournament–-> Kinda like before but it would only be between one class. You could even go as far as to limit the weapon choices.

Weapon specific tournament–-> Only one weapon could be used, OR limit the amount of weapons that are available.

Weapon ban tournament–-> It’s more of a mode for a tournament, the format doesn’t really matter. The idea is that each team prior to a match is allowed so many bans on weapons that will be enforced throughout the match. I like this idea, I mean it would allow for the teams to ban weapons that they think are op, have animation issues or they could even use their bans strategically. For example of how effective/ strategic this could be. Say it’s 6v6 LTS/TO and you plan on going two archers, you could ban war-bow, heavy x-bow, shields or smoke-pots… Like whatever you do it would allow for you to ban according to your strategy.

Archer duels–-> Yeah, lol it could be fairly boring but idk I’m sure certain rules could be implemented to make the matches more intense and faster paced.

Obviously these are just starter ideas. I assume some will soon be destroyed by you vultures. But the point was to get ideas out there, and have other people tweak them. I think some of these could provide a nice change to this already STALE competitive scene. Be honest though, I know some of these ideas are more of run offs of previous ideas etc. I also know that some of these ideas stretch the current skill level of other players by restricting certain weapons and forcing them to play other classes but that’s kinda the point. Let me know what you think…
    -Cubbards

• Mmmmmm archer duel tourney at arena? :D

We could get pretty creative. But we just need the volunteers to host the tourney.

• I’m totally down for an archer duel tournament. Bring me some peasants to shoot!! >:D

But for real, good ideas cubbards. The problem really i could see with a CTF tournament is that if both teams play 100% defense…. good luck making a cap. That could be annoying. But overall these are all great ideas.

• +1 for the pickup tournament idea. Would allow for a fair balance of teams skill wise, making it fun for everyone!

• @MrDolo:

+1 for the pickup tournament idea. Would allow for a fair balance of teams skill wise, making it fun for everyone!

Yeah the pickup one and the multi-class tournament idea are my favorite so far. I don’t feel like hosting any of them though. So I hope someone is intrigued enough to host it lol. I just think it would be a nice change from the usual TO/LTS…

• I like the pick-up tourney idea. I actually posted this a few weeks ago as well. It will allow the matches to be more fair and fun.

The real difficulty will be with managing the number of players on the roster and who shows up. For example, if it’s 8v8, does each team select 12 people? What if all 12 show? The captain will want the best 8 to play. Do we enforce that if all 12 people show up, everyone gets to play at least half of each scrim?

One way to deal with this would be to have the tourney start pretty early on a Saturday and pick teams that day with everyone is in voice chat together (with only the team captains having the ability to speak). Each persons name in voice would need to match their in game name and they could also include their rank, classes(s) as well as a self determined skill level. As people are picked an admin moves that person into the teams voice channel. Given that everyone is there, it will limit no shows and each team will only need a few bench spots. Everyone would already be in voicechat together, so teams wouldnt need to worry about that. And the process would be entertaining to watch. It would be a snake draft. For captains, we could consider having each clan elect one person to be a captain. Draft order would be in opposite order of the last tourney results (i.e. F would get the last pick of the first round and first pick of the second round). There could be a rank requirement of say 25 to join the tournament.

That would be very interesting (although some clans would know the players better than other clans which could cause things not to be balanced). That said, I’m not opposed to your voting system.

Another idea would be to have a counsel of players make what they think are balanced teams.

• I like the post Mystikkal. You played with the original idea and I liked it, you also brought up some issues. I overlooked the possibility of ppl not showing up as well as to many showing up. Should have subconsciously factored that into a CMW tournament idea lol, silly me. The idea is still rough ands needs more work. I don’t think it’s fair to sit anyone out that’s on the team. So picking teams the day of the tournament sounds like it would work.
    I still feel that each participant should nominate a captian for the snake draft, top nominees are captains and pick the team. One issue I have with that is I feel clan mates would pick other clan mates. So maybe restrict the amount of people from the same clan that can enter a team, say 1-3 other clan mates? I think that would work.
    I don’t mind the draft order you proposed but what about captains that are nominated that weren’t apart of the previous tournament. Another senario, what if two people from the same clan were also associated with the previous tournament and were both nominated to be captains?

I dislike your idea on the counsel of players selecting teams. No offense man I just think it would be hard to make it completely objective. I could be wrong though, so who knows.

• The problem with restricting the number of clan mates is that you are giving a disadvantage to people in good clans. For example, someone in T would be at a huge disadvantage because we are a pretty solid clan and have a lot of members. I do think the idea of each clan having one person be a captain is an interesting dynamic. If the captain wants to pick a lot of their own clan members, so be it, but it may put them at a disadvantage. It would suck for the people that got stuck on worse teams, but the captain will need to take that responsibility when the team gets rolled.

I think snake in opposite order of tourny results works… if a clan didn’t participate, they get a random seeding. But only well known clans that didn’t participate get to have a captain (e.g. ia, KILA).

• I agree that it could put tempest at a disadvantage but the point of a pick up tournament isn’t about individual clans and their makeup. It’s about a collective tournament that theoretically should be extremely balanced. The thing I’m worried about is the captains, not the position but the human controlling it. I think we’ll have a tendency to pick familiar faces over talented and skilled individuals. Hence why I suggested limiting the number of clan mates per team. It might be as you put it “unfair” to tempest but it isn’t about tempest or any other clan for that matter. It’s about balancing a tournament so instead of having a few good matches during the tournament too having almost every match being extremely close.
    To me it’s a pickup tournament but also a competitive scene bonding event, ya know? At least that is my take on it
    For example what if you and Stan got placed on the same team?! Hopefully you guys could work out some of that hatred for each other lol ;) and that example I’m pretty sure effects almost everyone in that scene haha

• @Karasu:

Mmmmmm archer duel tourney at arena? :D

We could get pretty creative. But we just need the volunteers to host the tourney.

The best archer duel map is Shaft. Not even joking. Ninja you remember those archer duels on that map right?

• Bad NoVa! Idk I think with some minor rule changes it could be made into something… I’m not saying that it will replace melee tournaments lol… Just in over year the tournaments have been revolving around the same format, lets switch it up mate!

• @NinjaCub:

I agree that it could put tempest at a disadvantage but the point of a pick up tournament isn’t about individual clans and their makeup. It’s about a collective tournament that theoretically should be extremely balanced. The thing I’m worried about is the captains, not the position but the human controlling it. I think we’ll have a tendency to pick familiar faces over talented and skilled individuals. Hence why I suggested limiting the number of clan mates per team. It might be as you put it “unfair” to tempest but it isn’t about tempest or any other clan for that matter. It’s about balancing a tournament so instead of having a few good matches during the tournament too having almost every match being extremely close.
    To me it’s a pickup tournament but also a competitive scene bonding event, ya know? At least that is my take on it
    For example what if you and Stan got placed on the same team?! Hopefully you guys could work out some of that hatred for each other lol ;) and that example I’m pretty sure effects almost everyone in that scene haha

If you agree that it would put someone from Tempest or another strong clan at a disadvantage then it is by definition not balanced. Either put no limits on the players that are picked, or put a cap on the number of players able to be picked from each clan. So for example, you can have a max of 3 from ia, T, f, etc.

I think a player cap is dumb though. If you think people will choose players based on familiarity over skill then let them do it. It could make for a better team overall tbh. But I don’t think that could possibly happen. If I only get one pick per round then all of the players from f and T will likely have already been picked in the first few rounds.

• Well if it the captains actually pick based off of skill I don’t see many skilled players being left after a few rounds. The idea of pick up tournament is to pick up players based on skill but at this “tier” a lot of the skill levels kind of merge together. Meaning I feel you will pick more players based on familiarity rather than skill… The point of this tournament is to have a semi random assortment of players from the community, not another clan vs clan… Do you see where I’m trying to direct this idea towards? I think both ideas would work, just without the limitations I suggested. I feel this will end up being primarily a clan with a few random players vs a clan with a few random players. Not my idea for a tournament, idk if this would happen, I just think it would turn out that way.

When I said it would put a clan at a disadvantage is because it would. They wouldn’t be allowed to play together as a full clan. It Would separate them like it would separate every other clan in the game and putting them on teams which they would be assigned to. In my eyes making the tournament a lot more balanced over all than any other previous tournament…

• @NinjaCub:

Well if it the captains actually pick based off of skill I don’t see many skilled players being left after a few rounds. The idea of pick up tournament is to pick up players based on skill but at this “tier” a lot of the skill levels kind of merge together. Meaning I feel you will pick more players based on familiarity rather than skill… The point of this tournament is to have a semi random assortment of players from the community, not another clan vs clan… Do you see where I’m trying to direct this idea towards? I think both ideas would work, just without the limitations I suggested. I feel this will end up being primarily a clan with a few random players vs a clan with a few random players. Not my idea for a tournament, idk if this would happen, I just think it would turn out that way.

When I said it would put a clan at a disadvantage is because it would. They wouldn’t be allowed to play together as a full clan. It Would separate them like it would separate every other clan in the game and putting them on teams which they would be assigned to. In my eyes making the tournament a lot more balanced over all than any other previous tournament…

So then you would want to have a cap of 3 or so players from each clan?

I don’t know. I think we’ll have to slowly progress towards a pug tournament. So try all of your other tourney ideas first to grow the community. Even during scrims between clans players randomly disconnect for what seems like no reason. I’m not sure who would be willing to put a pug tourney together. It would require a massive amount of organization.

• That would be a good idea to test some smaller versions out. But I don’t think it would require much more than what the already current tournaments require. Like captains would resemble clans. The only other organization/work would be setting up the draft…

And yes a cap, probably less than three but yes, that is the idea.

• @NinjaCub:

That would be a good idea to test some smaller versions out. But I don’t think it would require much more than what the already current tournaments require. Like captains would resemble clans. The only other organization/work would be setting up the draft…

And yes a cap, probably less than three but yes, that is the idea.

Ok here’s an idea. Have all the clan leaders who wish to enter sign up all of the players who will be available. Captains are chosen and a list of players is provided. Then all the captains meet in voip and go through a snake draft. yeh yeh? So less organization required on the part of the tournament director but more organization required from each clan leader.

• A tournament where whichever archer F10’s the fastest is the winner, bonus points if they manage to get decapitated.

• @Karasu:

Ok here’s an idea. Have all the clan leaders who wish to enter sign up all of the players who will be available. Captains are chosen and a list of players is provided. Then all the captains meet in voip and go through a snake draft. yeh yeh? So less organization required on the part of the tournament director but more organization required from each clan leader.

Seems like a worse version of what Ninja and I just proposed… no no? ;P

• @Mystikkal:

@Karasu:

Seems like a worse version of what Ninja and I just proposed… no no? ;P

How is it worse :/ It’s an organized method of setting up what you proposed. Stop trolling me Mysty

• That doesn’t sound like a bad idea honestly lol… Makes it a little less complicated yet yielding the same/ similar results… So host it hoe?