A Solution To Samurai Secondaries

• As mentioned numerous times, picking a second melee weapon as a samurai is kind of pointless, so the obvious choice is usually the bow.

The other classes get around this by having a reason to change, or being forced into it. I.E. Spartans can throw their spears, Vikings can throw their, well, everything, and Knights have a shield as a secondary option, replacing the crossbow.

Samurai were typically known for the Katana. Though they had other weapons in their arsenal, they were mostly known for the Katana.

My suggestion is to add flavor to the Katana fighting style with a secondary option for it. That option being a sheathe. Samurai didn’t typically fight with multiple swords, but they were known to pull their sheathe and use it both defensively, and offensively.

I think this would add the needed flavor to make Samurai stand out a bit. The Sheath could be used similarly to a shield in the sense that it uses a block mechanic instead of the parry, and it could also be thrown and picked up with a 1/1 ammo, for minimal damage and a slight stun.

Other suggestions would include different stances and such for Katana combat, but that’d take quite a bit more to implement.

• Did anyone play dynasty warriors? Zhao Tai looked freaking sexy pulling his katana from his sheath each strike.
    http://youtu.be/xBOJEGBeOhA
    Mmm yeah, mmmmm….

• I don’t use the bow as secondary all the time. Sometimes i use the katana as secondary and the club as primary. I never use the bow for Team deathmatch for example.

• @Rite:

Did anyone play dynasty warriors? Zhao Tai looked freaking sexy pulling his katana from his sheath each strike.
    http://youtu.be/xBOJEGBeOhA
    Mmm yeah, mmmmm….

Yeah, used to remember using a sword in Way of the Samurai, I think 1, 2, and 3 all had the sword. Drawed it from the sheath with each attack, replacing it afterwards. It was pretty neat, and honestly one of the ideas I was going to put in this suggestion, too.

• @Wolfesscythe:

As mentioned numerous times, picking a second melee weapon as a samurai is kind of pointless

What? When has this been mentioned? Picking a second melee weapon with the samurai is HUGE, considering that you can basically pick two primaries that serve very different purposes, and they’re effective, too.

Even a traditional primary/secondary loadout is huge. As samurai, I swear by the katana/wakizashi loadout. I use the katana to do some solid damage to the target, but I constantly alternate between it and the wakizashi because it consistently trips opponents up. And let me tell you, if you really put time into the wakizashi, that thing is fucking deadly on the secondary slot. It is literally the perfect finishing weapon. If I face light, quick targets like the pirate and ninja, I use it 90% of the time.

• Using a flimsy piece of hollowed out, halved, and glued together wood sounds like the perfect idea to combat huge chunks of sharpened steel (and sometimes bronze).
    It may even do a good job at blocking bullets!
    I’ve seen it happen in my Japanese Anime.

• Having a wak or a katana is practically a necessity for spear users, as any light class with a fast weapon will be able to overwhelm you through speed alone.

• @IP:

Having a wak or a katana is practically a necessity for spear users, as any light class with a fast weapon will be able to overwhelm you through speed alone.

Yeah katana and yari is a really good combo katana is good for 1v1 and spear is good for group combat.

• @Miriandandes:

Using a flimsy piece of hollowed out, halved, and glued together wood sounds like the perfect idea to combat huge chunks of sharpened steel (and sometimes bronze).
    It may even do a good job at blocking bullets!
    I’ve seen it happen in my Japanese Anime.

You’re talking about a game where the strongest weapon a Ninja can use is the only weapon they have that’s not sharp, or you can parry a giant maul with a dagger. Using a sheath defensively for parrying is definitely something Samurai would have done. Sure, it’s not ‘practical’ but it’s a way of breaking up the monotony that is Samurai game play. They’ve got no gimmick to make them interesting.

• Using a sheath defensively is definitely something a samurai would have done?

I highly doubt it.

Its not even done on movies.

• @lemonater47:

Using a sheath defensively is definitely something a samurai would have done?

I highly doubt it.

Its not even done on movies.

I’ve seen sheathe used in a few movies, not sure if Japanese but still. It can be used to deflect a strike or lock a blade.

To those that worry about it not being able to withstand a blow, well obviously you can’t hold it perpendicularly to the strike axis and expect it to not split in half. The point is in striking the blade from the side of the axis, deviating the trajectory so it does not hit you. But since the sheathe lacks any handguards it would still be rather dangerous.

But overall I don’t think this is all that good idea. I use katana together with the club (damn forgot its name again…) all the time, also taking yumi spear with some of the primaries to gain a reasonable secondary against armor, and the tiny katana is also pretty awesome for its speed. To be honest, samurai has one of the best sword selection out of them all.