Edit existing TB maps?

• Although the maps are cooked I’ve been able to copy/edit/upload alternate game types for some existing maps. Is this wrong of me to do? I have very little experience with UDK so I’ve found it extremely informative and a great place to get started.

I know others have had similar questions but I’ve seen no formal post about it. At this point, I’ve kept it to just adding game types but I’d like to get a greenlight before I attempt to alter levels at all. Assuming this is okay… some guidelines, restrictions, or requests would serve a purpose.

• Yeah I’d really like to make modifications of some CMW maps. Particularly Battlegrounds needs some balance tweaks and I’d love to throw in a new second objective and maybe even a new final objective.

• I would just like a whole new map of just the battlegrounds interior.

• @lemonater47:

I would just like a whole new map of just the battlegrounds interior.

If Battlegrounds is added on to, all the various game types can be added to all portions of the level which would make for quite the mix. The hardest part would be TO, so z0B has the right idea to start there.

• Yeah this is something I was looking into as well. A response from a dev here would be great :)

• moor w/o barricades

• Have asked for that before. An official answer would be great.

• Developer

You can’t edit existing maps since they are cooked.
    For the Citadel throne room map Lucas copied all the assets and settings into a new map.
    So you could make new versions of all our maps you would just have to copy everything over which can be a bit of a hassle sadly.

• And there is no way around maps being already cooked and stuff? I mean, what do you guys (tornbanner) do when you want to edit an existing map? Idk if you have different software or whatever, but there has to be an easier way.

• That’s the second time I read this isn’t possible. However, I was able to edit, save and test an existing map under a new name, without copying everything.

It’s a few weeks since I’ve done it, but it was probably something like this for battlegrounds:

I opened the “AOCTO-Battlegrounds_P” (D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\chivalrymedievalwarfare\UDKGame\CookedPC\AOC\Levels\Battlegrounds), edited it and saved it to “D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\chivalrymedievalwarfare\UDKGame\ContentSDK\Battlegrounds” as: “AOCTO-Battlegrounds_edit_P”. The UDK asked me if it shall edit all the existing references to the name to the new one. I pressed yes and copied all the other files in the same folder as:

AOCTO-Battlegrounds_edit_Art… /…Game/…Sound

I can, without any problems, edit it, save it and test it. Haven’t tested yet if I can cook it without problems. But I think I should.

Have I missed something though? I’m new to the UDK, so possibly that’s the case.

• Thanks Rasmus, I didn’t think it would matter but I suppose its always better to ask.

I’m pretty sure the LTS/TD/FFA versions of tavern + a few duel maps I have up are fully functional, and those came from copies of the cooked maps. I did the same thing as Hammel and had no issues, but others were not able to repeat the process with the same results.

• I am working on a stock map to convert also… I believe its possible…you just need to copy and paste each map part separately _p… ART …Game…Sound…ect. They all should include the Kismet and then be Re Referenced in the _p under streaming levels. All levels get streamed into _p This is trial and error. I will up date…it will be part of our SPCTF game type! :D

• Yeah it’s definitely possible. There are already copies made from cooked maps up on workshop and I know for a fact they weren’t copied and pasted within the editor, the file was copied and renamed.

So TB has no problem with us putting variant maps up on the workshop? I’m working on a Battlegrounds TO variant right now but I don’t want to put a whole bunch of work in only to find it’s taken down.

• @Dr:

Yeah it’s definitely possible. There are already copies made from cooked maps up on workshop and I know for a fact they weren’t copied and pasted within the editor, the file was copied and renamed.

So TB has no problem with us putting variant maps up on the workshop? I’m working on a Battlegrounds TO variant right now but I don’t want to put a whole bunch of work in only to find it’s taken down.

I think if you managed to do it and upload it to the steamworkshop Torn banner would just hire you for doing what they thought was impossible.

• I converted the Arena map to CTF…so it definitely is possible!

• @lemonater47:

@Dr:

Yeah it’s definitely possible. There are already copies made from cooked maps up on workshop and I know for a fact they weren’t copied and pasted within the editor, the file was copied and renamed.

I think if you managed to do it and upload it to the steamworkshop Torn banner would just hire you for doing what they thought was impossible.

Well it was seriouscasual not I, but I doubt TB will be hiring any of us.

• Developer

@TheSwordOfTheMorning:

And there is no way around maps being already cooked and stuff? I mean, what do you guys (tornbanner) do when you want to edit an existing map? Idk if you have different software or whatever, but there has to be an easier way.

We work with the uncooked versions so this doesn’t occur in our work environment,
    there might be a way around the whole thing but it’s not something we’ve looked at.

We have no issues with modifications of our own maps Dr z0b.

• That’s good news! Got to continue working on my Battlegrounds-overhaul then :D

• That’s all I needed to hear!

and I dont think TB would go hire you for editting their cooked maps…I’ve never used any SDK prior to Chivalry and I was able to work it out in 20 minutes.

• @HammelGammel:

That’s good news! Got to continue working on my Battlegrounds-overhaul then :D

Add a third objective.