Combat is a disappointing regression from MW

• The combat mechanics are not fluid at all, and though I dont mind the faster move speed, it doesn’t flow well with the fast swing speed/huge windup and recovery. It seems like a deliberate nerf to dragging to make the swing speeds that fast, I’m not sure what TB’s rationale was on that but I suspect they were trying to give the game more casual appeal.

The end result though is that most people have given in to just running around at full tilt spamming LMB hoping for the best, or favoring ranged weapons. Weapons that require close range precision are nearly unplayable and the thrust/overhead attacks on alot of weapons are unreasonably hard to hit with. Riposte seems fairly useless, the windups are so long that its very hard to catch someone off-guard with a riposte. Dragging is ineffective, riposte is ineffective… you know what that leaves? Feint. Enough said.

Very disappointed with DW, and it’s a shame because other than the combat mechanics, it seems like a fantastic game. The first thing TB needs to do is slow the swings down and make them draggier. I feel like the increased movement speed would be alot more acceptable if you could drag your attacks better and have hit tracers that linger in the air for longer than a split second.

If they fix that they have a great expansion on their hands, in the meantime I’m a little bit annoyed that TB picked my pocket of $15 with an expansion that is an unfinished product (that i can forgive) and a game that is so regressive from Medieval Warfare that I can’t even stand to play it.

I’m not expecting much since obviously there are people who like Deadliest Warrior and I doubt the game will change to accomodate what I think is best for it… But I just want Torn Banner to know that as a fan I’m really disappointed with the quality of this expansion, and the direction you seem to be trying to take this franchise in. Stop trying to make this game easier because you can’t dumb it down without taking away what makes it great.

I only worry that alot of the newer players will steer towards DW, without ever experiencing how deep and rewarding the mechanics of MW can be. As for the Chivalry veterans, I’m sure they will all be back playing MW again in a few days tops.

Apologies for shield-wall of text

• I think the swing speeds are fine, but the rest of the posting I agree with. When I play this game, which is already slowing way down, I find myself drawn towards the ranged weapons because close combat is just dull now. You’re putting yourself at a disadvantage if you don’t rely almost completely on LMB, which ruins the deep combat system I love so much in Medieval Warfare.

• I think it is a good thing to be different from CMW as it appeals to different people.

Personally I prefer CMW speed and CMW TO maps but DW has some good features like a more fun duel mode, nice variety of weapons and classes etc.

• That’s odd…that you can’t kill anything…Its almost like your brand new at the expansion and still suck

Start complaining about mechanics when you hit lvl 30

I got on for 2 hours today and OWNED face with the viking using the spear. Dodging pirate gunfire and bows.

Just be less of a noob. Combat is fine…this comes from a guy who was a MASTER with the Zweihander drag

put in some playtime before you make such a quick judgement
    Way to sound like an entitle brat for 14 bucks!

• @Korgawrath:

That’s odd…that you can’t kill anything…Its almost like your brand new at the expansion and still suck

I got on for 2 hours today and OWNED face with the viking using the spear. Dodging pirate gunfire and bows.

Just be less of a noob. Combat is fine…this comes from a guy who was a MASTER with the Zweihander drag

Did he ever actually say his complaints were based on the fact that he couldn’t kill anything? And does the fact that you’re good at the game have anything to do with the actual quality of it? No to both. Even if you “owned face” on WarZ, that wouldn’t change the fact that it was awful.

• It is funny that you mention WarZ, because I owned face at that game too.

I suppose my mood comes from the fact I work in Customer service. You all sound like a buncha whiny babies. Of course a game is gonna have some glitches when it comes out. From a small time company. However I love the direction the company is going. The fact the people feel so ENTITLED and feel like Torn banner has “picked their pocket” and taken their money for nothing is absurd.
    This costs less then what I spent to have dinner out someone else the night before.

Perspective yo.

Moderator Edit: Don’t insult other players

• Also my original comment was poking at the fact he’s low rank. It’s very stupid to listen to someone who NEW to a game complain so hard about the mechanics he knows so little about. You act like no balance testing was done at all?! The level of skilled players who have contributed both to those game and chivalry may have reasons for certain aspects of gameplay.

It might also be they wanted to make it feel like an expansion and not Chivalry 1.5 like most of the Street Fighter 4 games are going for.

I rather have a CREATIVE innovative game with some bugs that could be fixed. Then something unimagined. I suppose everyone has a right to their opinion. Doesn’t mean I can’t poke fun at people for their silly posts.

I was using overheads and drags a lot. Along with the spear stabs. Everything felt very good with the spear. I main a vanguard so it was easy to adjust

I did however suck at Dual wielding…but unlike some people…I blame myself until I get to a level where I can make points on Mechanics I fully understand.

Im not at that level yet…so none of you are either. Get to level 30 then lets talk.

• You completely miss the point of my post, peasant. I’d say more but I think you’ve sufficiently embarassed yourself already.

• Ignoring the troll and +1 to the op.

• @Korgawrath:

It is funny that you mention WarZ, because I owned face at that game too.

I suppose my mood comes from the fact I work in Customer service. You all sound like a buncha whiny babies. Of course a game is gonna have some glitches when it comes out. From a small time company. However I love the direction the company is going. The fact the people feel so ENTITLED and feel like Torn banner has “picked their pocket” and taken their money for nothing is absurd.
    This costs less then what I spent to have dinner out someone else the night before.

Perspective yo.

The customer is not always right, sometimes he’s just a bitch.

I work in customer service too, actually. Hope you don’t refer to your clients as “whiny bitches” when they offer criticisms.

• @Mockingbirch:

@Korgawrath:

It is funny that you mention WarZ, because I owned face at that game too.

Perspective yo.

The customer is not always right, sometimes he’s just a bitch.

I work in customer service too, actually. Hope you don’t refer to your clients as “whiny bitches” when they offer criticisms.

Well it depends how much you want to get fired.

• @Korgawrath:

That’s odd…that you can’t kill anything…Its almost like your brand new at the expansion and still suck

Wow. You won with the viking spear, good thing that weapon is completely broken and overpowered, combos quickly, kills quickly, desyncs quickly and becomes next to unblockable. I’ve gone 50-0 with that thing, ever since the beta release that thing was too good. Using it is not impressive. Most broken weapon in the game right now.

What I find especially funny is how you admit you suck with the viking’s other attacks yet think that the spear suddenly letting you do well makes you skilled. Either a massive troll, most likely, or a even larger idiot.

But that’s not ignoring the fact that you’re just a troll. Which you are. Rather than being a little crap on a forum board because someone offered critiscm of a game, why don’t you go do something productive. Like cutting off your hands and tongue, or straight up killing yourself. It’d do us all of favor.

Or be a tard on a forum board for a recently released and very buggy game. Your choice.

• @Nematode:

The combat mechanics are not fluid at all, and though I dont mind the faster move speed, it doesn’t flow well with the fast swing speed/huge windup and recovery. It seems like a deliberate nerf to dragging to make the swing speeds that fast, I’m not sure what TB’s rationale was on that but I suspect they were trying to give the game more casual appeal.

The end result though is that most people have given in to just running around at full tilt spamming LMB hoping for the best, or favoring ranged weapons. Weapons that require close range precision are nearly unplayable and the thrust/overhead attacks on alot of weapons are unreasonably hard to hit with. Riposte seems fairly useless, the windups are so long that its very hard to catch someone off-guard with a riposte. Dragging is ineffective, riposte is ineffective… you know what that leaves? Feint. Enough said.

Very disappointed with DW, and it’s a shame because other than the combat mechanics, it seems like a fantastic game. The first thing TB needs to do is slow the swings down and make them draggier. I feel like the increased movement speed would be alot more acceptable if you could drag your attacks better and have hit tracers that linger in the air for longer than a split second.

If they fix that they have a great expansion on their hands, in the meantime I’m a little bit annoyed that TB picked my pocket of $15 with an expansion that is an unfinished product (that i can forgive) and a game that is so regressive from Medieval Warfare that I can’t even stand to play it.

I’m not expecting much since obviously there are people who like Deadliest Warrior and I doubt the game will change to accomodate what I think is best for it… But I just want Torn Banner to know that as a fan I’m really disappointed with the quality of this expansion, and the direction you seem to be trying to take this franchise in. Stop trying to make this game easier because you can’t dumb it down without taking away what makes it great.

I only worry that alot of the newer players will steer towards DW, without ever experiencing how deep and rewarding the mechanics of MW can be. As for the Chivalry veterans, I’m sure they will all be back playing MW again in a few days tops.

Apologies for shield-wall of text

As for you, I agree completely. I hated doing all those stupid drags and “pro” moves in MW, aka, looking backwards on overhands and other such stupid stuff, but I know just how neccessary they were to keep the game’s combat fluid. I really do miss how useful ripostes are too, and with both missing the game is lacking a good way to get kills with skill, which as you said, leads it to either hit trading or feinting (the devil’s spawn of bad gameplay design). Things defintely need to be slowed down, but I think it’s the movement speed rather than the weapon speed (aside from faster and actually useful ripostes).

Hitting anything with an overhand is a stroke of luck. Not only do you actually need to swing to land on them, you need to ensure they don’t block it. In MW you had options for that, in this you don’t. It’s really throwing me off this, as this just doesn’t reward skill.

Heh, whatever. I’m still going to play it. Now if only they would make more servers use the smaller maps…

• The game definitely feels a lot clunkier compared to CMW.

The movement speed is fine, but weapons feel like they have no weight to them. It also feels like they’ve buffed the movement on your mouse while attacking to further decrease the ability to drag.

The whole concept of CDW is awesome, I love being different warriors using all new weapons, but the combat is just not as fluid/solid as CMW, IMO.

• @NaTe:

The game definitely feels a lot clunkier compared to CMW.

The movement speed is fine, but weapons feel like they have no weight to them. It also feels like they’ve buffed the movement on your mouse while attacking to further decrease the ability to drag.

The whole concept of CDW is awesome, I love being different warriors using all new weapons, but the combat is just not as fluid/solid as CMW, IMO.

I’ve said it before, if they’d just made MW with new characters and maps I’d clap like a happy little monkey. I appreciate the spirit of risk-taking at Torn Banner, but in my opinion, it was a risk that didn’t pay off.

• @FalseSavi0ur:

@Korgawrath:

Wow. You won with the viking spear, good thing that weapon is completely broken and overpowered, combos quickly, kills quickly, desyncs quickly and becomes next to unblockable. I’ve gone 50-0 with that thing, ever since the beta release that thing was too good. Using it is not impressive. Most broken weapon in the game right now.

What I find especially funny is how you admit you suck with the viking’s other attacks yet think that the spear suddenly letting you do well makes you skilled. Either a massive troll, most likely, or a even larger idiot.

But that’s not ignoring the fact that you’re just a troll. Which you are. Rather than being a little crap on a forum board because someone offered critiscm of a game, why don’t you go do something productive. Like cutting off your hands and tongue, or straight up killing yourself. It’d do us all of favor.

Or be a tard on a forum board for a recently released and very buggy game. Your choice.

It’s so funny listen to people like you talk, you should keep theory crafting how shit should be. What rank are you even in MW? So we can verify your expertise in these insights of yours.

I’m rank 45 with over 600 hours of play time. I know shit.

• I disagree completely with the OP, the fact that dragging has been changed is fantastic and actually makes a whole lot of sense. That you could do 100% of the damage literally at the start of a swing before the blade even started moving was ridiculous. I made a topic about it in chivalry a long time ago.

http://tornbanner.com/forums/viewtopic. … a63beb219b

• @Borge:

I disagree completely with the OP, the fact that dragging has been changed is fantastic and actually makes a whole lot of sense. That you could do 100% of the damage literally at the start of a swing before the blade even started moving was ridiculous. I made a topic about it in chivalry a long time ago.

http://tornbanner.com/forums/viewtopic. … a63beb219b

That’s not dragging that’s called accelerating a swing, dragging is the exact opposite, where you look the other way as you swing to slow the swing down.

• I warned people about this in the beta, well it still is IMO. The way the combat mechanics are now, just favors long reaching and hard hitting weapons because of how easy it is to hit trade.

This just eliminates the offensive/defensive to and fro play that is in CMW. instead you can just offensively spam lmb, get parried and instead of switching to defense to avoid getting hit by the riposte, you can just lmb again and at the very least get a hit trade.

Kicks are also something I absolutely loathe in DW, they are useless. Kick someone with a shield up and by the time you’ve wound up your weapon to strike, they have it raised again and you are down a shitload of stamina and have to wait a ridiculously long time to attempt a kick again. Why did they make it 2/3 seconds before you can kick again?
    Not to mention you can’t jump or fall down from a height and kick any more :(

The game has lots of promise, but it is just ruined by these few little things.

• @Korgawrath:

@FalseSavi0ur:

@Korgawrath:

It’s so funny listen to people like you talk, you should keep theory crafting how shit should be. What rank are you even in MW? So we can verify your expertise in these insights of yours.

I’m rank 45 with over 600 hours of play time. I know shit.

Hello. Rank 51 here, for you to “verify” my expertise.
    Although you have a point in saying that this is the launch of a brand new game by a small company and therefore wont be perfect immediately, the company did make the wrong decision purely in the concept and planning of the game, hoping to appeal to newer, casual players and veterans alike, but that did not happen because the veterans were turned away by the changes that catered to the new players, and the new players turned away because of the state the game is in at launch.
    Of course you can always insult the skill and knowledge of the newer players by flaunting your accomplishments, but everything you have used to try and gain leverage hasn’t really said much: rank 45 (time spent on game and not skill level), “MASTER” of zweihander drag (because its obviously the most effective and hardest-to-master utility in MW), and the fact that you “OWNED face” with the viking spear, which even if you didn’t pick it for its strength, the fact that its comfortable and easy to adjust to sort of contradicts the fact that you’re praising the game for not being “Chivalry 1.5” (not to mention the fact that you are using one of the broken aspects of the game while at the same time essentially telling everyone else to get good, which is not only hypocritical, but makes you look like a complete loser).
    So please, just stop.