I hope WOTR hasn't damaged this games chances

• Is anyone else a bit worried that WOTR coming out first has sucked potential buyers of this game away?

I hope there are plenty of people to play with when the game comes out proper. :D

• Marketing is key and WOTR has the backing for lots of ads. They are all over the place. That is going to be a big difference. Thus word of mouth will have to essential in order for it to be successful.

• Difference being, wotr sucks lol. People will soon realize it.

• I was a big supporter of War of the Roses in the early beta (even acted in the launch trailer) but a friend of mine went “pssssst hey dude you remember Age of Chivalry?” and I was like “no” SMACK “yes I totally do, but isn’t that kind of an old mod?” SMACK “ow” “Stop whining and go buy a clean pair of pants then check out Chivalry: Medieval Warfare” “why do I need the pants” “you’ll see” SMACK SMACK

So the moral of the story is use violence and feces to promote this game.

• We’re counting heavily on word of mouth from the players in the beta, so if you enjoy the game, spread the good word!

That said, I personally do not believe WOTR has damaged our game’s chances at selling well. In fact, they’ve helped us, just as we’ve helped them. Any decent medieval combat game will help bring attention to the genre as a whole, and that benefits us all.

• @PatrickL:

That said, I personally do not believe WOTR has damaged our game’s chances at selling well. In fact, they’ve helped us, just as we’ve helped them. Any decent medieval combat game will help bring attention to the genre as a whole, and that benefits us all.

That’s some wishful thinking. I hope you’re right.

• I’ve played Warband & WOTR, not Chivalry yet. From what I gather from the videos though, Chivalry is more fast-paced than WOTR with no game-interrupting execution or revival moves. I’m looking forward to playing both games and WOTR certainly hasn’t sucked me away.

• Im trying to help by telling people about it. The reason I ask, is that I’m worried a lot of people who are only casually interested in medieval combat games would just see War of the Roses since that came out first, say “oh that looks interesting” and buy it.

All my friends and a lot of people I’ve spoken to think Im crazy for buying both, as at least to them, they seem like very similar games. I’m trying to explain that Chivalry is arguably better, or at least very different.

I think medieval combat games are rare and quite an under done genre, so it seems like a shame that suddenly you have 2 of them coming out very close to each other.

• I am visiting couple of gaming forums regularly and one of them is a dedicated melee gaming board. From what I have seen, WotR was trashed talked all over the place on all of them, while Chivalry was only talked about highly and with “FTW” suffix.

One of the differences between WotR and Chivalry is that WotR has taken a lot of elements directly from Warband, but Chivalry looks like it will be delivering a whole new kind of melee experience including stamina, dodging, counter attack parrying, etc…

• For me it went the other way:
    I was on the verge of buying WotR two days ago, but wanted to see some additional gameplay. So I watched a Let’s Play on youtube (just to have said it: Let’s Plays - good ones - are awesome and way more informative than any review for me). On the sidebar there was a thumbnail for a Let’s Play of Chivalry, which I didn’t even know existed.
    I watched five minutes of it, and was hooked.

From what I’ve seen so far WotR is a good game, but Chivalry seems way more immersive.
    What would make Chivalry compare even more favorably to WotR - in my opinion - would be if the effect of the armor was greater, like it is in WotR.
    Otherwise, I’m going to play Chivalry on the 16th and pick up WotR when it is on sale (I guess at the latest Steam winter sale, but proably before that).

• @WannaPlay:

For me it went the other way:
    What would make Chivalry compare even more favorably to WotR - in my opinion - would be if the effect of the armor was greater, like it is in WotR…

I don’t know how armor values work in Chivalry, but in WotR it almost makes no difference because game is designed around spamming. Because you are able to spawn directly in combat, the melee combat itself won’t give you a chance to to aim for weak spots in armor, you will be forced to spam attacks a lot, hoping to kill those tincans.

• The squad system thrown on unpolished and boring gameplay makes the difference.

• WotR is the typical paradox train wreck release, and while investigating that, I heard about this game. So it might actually work out to Chivalry’s advantage.