Dual wielding viking

• I have played a TON with 2 handed vanguard weapons in normal Chiv. However I want to expand a bit and use dual wielding axes for the Viking. I’ve only play for an hour but I like what I saw.

When I picked 2 axes…I had 4 axes to throw…I could dual wield and I could even throw my shield! I killed PDK with it earlier today hah!

However how do I making using 2 weapons useful? What is the mechanic buff of this? Compared to just using one handed weapon?

the only thing I can think of is how these weapons combo and using the sword for Piercing and the Axe for Blunt/slashing dmg

Anyone who has been playing dual wield viking got any words of wisdom to killinate people?

• The ONLY thing I have found that dual wield has over sword-n-board is that you can get a double attack.
    on the third swing
    as long as both weapons are the same

honestly its really disappointing, if they made it so you would attack with both each time, or it actually did more damage, it would be fine.

Guess its back to the spear/skeggox until viking gets buffed

• Thrusting does much more damage, swings and overhead do slightly less damage when dual wielding .Also left swings are far wider when dual wielding. The double handed swing does no extra damage which is disappointing and actually less damage than using 1 hand.

• A good commentary on dual wielding in real life, and why some of the things listed here are the way they are.

gJBEDxh0RQw

The relevant part starts at around 2:30

• Duel-Wielding is good, but it can’t compete with the Skeggox or the Spear which are just so much stronger and so much more flexible. Until duel-wielding gets some kind of change/buff I would suggest sticking with Skeggox/Spear.

• @Mockingbirch:

A good commentary on dual wielding in real life, and why some of the things listed here are the way they are.

gJBEDxh0RQw

He’s not wrong, but he’s really speaking only of battle. Dual-wielding was indeed popular and useful for duelists, pirates, and skirmishers, vikings included. Vikings in particular used small axes to hook into an opponent’s shield so they could thrust with their sword. Rapier/Parrying Dagger was common during the Renaissance.

He does address it at the end for dueling, but skirmishes/raids were also somewhere dual-wielding was useful.

The guy’s definitely very intelligent, but I feel like he’s making a sweeping generalization. Just because something isn’t useful in large battles doesn’t mean it isn’t useful at all.

• Yeah i think they should change it so swing and overhead damage remain the same, and the double-weapon swing does slightly more damage.

• @Korgawrath:

the only thing I can think of is how these weapons combo and using the sword for Piercing and the Axe for Blunt/slashing dmg

Actually I believe I read somewhere that when dual-wielding two different weapons they both use the properties and attributes of the main-hand weapon.

• Ah, so dual wielding is kind of shitty atm.

• @Korgawrath:

Ah, so dual wielding is kind of shitty atm.

It’s not that duel-wielding is shitty, it’s actually quite good. But the Spear and Skeggox are just so much better.

• I like the hammer best. Pity its the last unlock and we don’t have the 5x xp like in the beta.

• I just steer way clear of duel wielding, with the FPS and latency issues with servers, especially in Aus, duel wielding just becomes messy and way to spammy for my liking.
    I’ll just stick to throwing my shield and using 1 sword.

• @jrmftw:

I just steer way clear of duel wielding, with the FPS and latency issues with servers, especially in Aus, duel wielding just becomes messy and way to spammy for my liking.
    I’ll just stick to throwing my shield and using 1 sword.

Stick to NSW servers and you will be fine.

• @Rampage:

Dual-wielding was indeed popular and useful for duelists, pirates, and skirmishers, vikings included. Vikings in particular used small axes to hook into an opponent’s shield so they could thrust with their sword.

Not to downplay your comment, but I feel it’s worth stating that the vikings mostly used that tactic when doing raids, the big advantage surprise. In the darkness with no warning, you can get close enough that everyone doesn’t have time to form up into a line with archers at the ready. Some people might not think that part through.

• @Mockingbirch:

A good commentary on dual wielding in real life, and why some of the things listed here are the way they are.
    gJBEDxh0RQw

From the way I read it I was thinking, “damn it not a dumbass defending video game mechanics.” but he actually knew what he was talking about. The only thing he left out was that dual wielding (in the case of musashi’s school) was suited for multiple opponents as you could cover both your left and right. Yes, generally speaking it is weaker one handed but he stresses training with a sword in each hand so it becomes more natural; and you don’t need to cut someone in half, you just need to cut them enough to kill or incapacitate them.

• @Funkmaster:

@Rampage:

Dual-wielding was indeed popular and useful for duelists, pirates, and skirmishers, vikings included. Vikings in particular used small axes to hook into an opponent’s shield so they could thrust with their sword.

Not to downplay your comment, but I feel it’s worth stating that the vikings mostly used that tactic when doing raids, the big advantage surprise. In the darkness with no warning, you can get close enough that everyone doesn’t have time to form up into a line with archers at the ready. Some people might not think that part through.

Oh yeah I agree. But like I said, vikings mostly WERE raiders. They didn’t go charging into actual ‘battle’ often.