Why the decision to leave support for 32-bit OS?

• EDIT: seems the steam page is misleading. According to Flippy, supposedly if you run it via steam, it will launch the 64-bit exe, which would be bad for 32-bit users, but supposedly there’s a 32-bit exe inside the following folder that you can run: Steam/SteamApps/common/chivalrymedievalwarfare/CDW/Binaries/Win32/CDW

EDIT: also seems that some users can use the launcher and use the 32-bit exe that way, according to Thomason1005

so, you call DW an expansion

first oddity: Its obvious its completely separate from MW, thereby making it NOT an expansion to MW, if you use the usual sense of the word. But whatever, that’s kind of technical and arguable I guess, not that big of a deal

but then you get your second oddity: MW supports 32-bit OS’s, and then you get the supposed expansion DW which only supports 64-bit OS’s? Like, what?

so, I’m really curious as to the decision to go 64-bit, especially for an “expansion” to a 32-bit game. For example, DW only requires minimum 2 GB of RAM still, so its not like its requiring more than 3 GB of RAM and thus the need for a 64-bit system

EDIT: linky for steam store page for DW: http://store.steampowered.com/app/241280/?snr=1_7_15__13

• Wait deadliest warrior is 64bit only?

• The irony when seeing you have 64 posts here :P don’t post ever again! :D

• @lemonater47:

Wait deadliest warrior is 64bit only?

yeah, I was surprised too. That is, assuming steam is correct: http://store.steampowered.com/app/241280/?snr=1_7_15__13

• @HammelGammel:

The irony when seeing you have 64 posts here :P don’t post ever again! :D

lol. I don’t think that’s irony though. I made it 65 before I read this post :(

• NS2 might help us here:

http://unknownworlds.com/ns2/32bit/

I’m too lazy to have an opinion here however, you chaps sort it out.

• @dragonmith:

NS2 might help us here:

that’s cool, and thank you, but its a bit irrelevant I think. If DW requires 64-bit systems, I’m imagining it simply won’t run on 32-bit systems, or that maybe weird things will happen. I’ve never tried to run a 64-bit program on a 32-bit system, so I guess I can’t really say, though

• @5hassay:

@dragonmith:

NS2 might help us here:

that’s cool, and thank you, but its a bit irrelevant I think. If DW requires 64-bit systems, I’m imagining it simply won’t run on 32-bit systems, or that maybe weird things will happen. I’ve never tried to run a 64-bit program on a 32-bit system, so I guess I can’t really say, though

64 bit program’s do not work on 32 bit machines.

• Pretty sure the game is a 32-bit executable.

• What dudeface said. You just need to go to Steam>SteamApps>common>chivalrymedievalwarfare>CDW>Binaries>Win32>CDW. There you can launch it in 32 bit, however you can’t drag the launcher onto your desktop to use it as a shortcut. It has to be in the Win32 file when you launch it.

• I saw TB members saying they didn’t support 32bits machines and people saying it was running just fine on theirs…

• @dudeface:

Pretty sure the game is a 32-bit executable.

@Flippy:

What dudeface said. You just need to go to Steam>SteamApps>common>chivalrymedievalwarfare>CDW>Binaries>Win32>CDW. There you can launch it in 32 bit, however you can’t drag the launcher onto your desktop to use it as a shortcut. It has to be in the Win32 file when you launch it.

that makes more sense. I guess it was just a mistake on the steam page on Steam :S

• The game is supposed to be 64bit only, I am on a 64bit machine, but whenever I try to run the 64bit version it crashes instantly. I don’t understand… I know the game is new and has a lot of bugs but come on. This might not even be a bug.

• The game is supposed to be 64bit only, I am on a 64bit machine, but whenever I try to run the 64bit version it crashes instantly. I don’t understand… I know the game is new and has a lot of bugs but come on. This might not even be a bug.

• I asked a similar question, except it was worded more like “why does a low graphic/detail game mess up when most people can play higher requirement games…” Just kinda got swept under the rug as “everyone else is doing it” or some garbage.

• Hey dudes

im playing dw on 32bit, because im too lazy to reinstall evryting just to get 64bit, though my pc would be capable of it (2x2.4ghz intel dualcore 4gb ram, 1gb hd6770) and is inside the minimum requirement for dw

i can use the launcher, idk which exe its uses, ill check it

it often has ctd because of virtual memory overflow (according to TB 32bit only allows 2gb of virtual memory per exe) i never get to join a game on high settings, i somehow can play some rounds with evrything low before it crashes and thats propably the reason they dropped 32bit support.
    Somehow, before patch 3 or 4 i never had any crashes, i think they lost some memory cleanup stuff there.
    there now are times i have incredible lag wit ~4fps and server with over 30ppl are unplayable

TB wrote they might try to increase support by optimizing but i think it was more like a “please stop crying” than a “were doing it now”

• Did I read that right? You’re playing 64-bit game (that most still can’t understand why) on a 32-bit setup? If so I can pretty much guarantee that’s your crash issue. Before they chose to ditch “32” many others and myself could play ALL DAY.

Edit: still not home, but the only reason I got the DW was because it showed promise (& failed). As we all know you for some reason have to purchase both Chivalry and the “DLC” which isn’t actually a DLC since it has no actual connection to Chivalry base game…. apparently the translation is lost on them.
    It’s just a money pit really.

• That’s really not how it works.

I don’t think anybody “ditched” 32-bit or anything. It’s just a blurb on the steam store page. Don’t get all lathered up for nothing.

• @HammelGammel:

Well he has 69 posts now, so I don’t know what you have to say about that….

But as Dudeface, Flippy and others have pointed out. You can still play the game in 32 bit.

If there was ever a time for Torn Banner to decide to go 64 only, then there will be an announcement letting everyone know of the change over. :)

• @Keith:

@HammelGammel:

Well he has 69 posts now, so I don’t know what you have to say about that….

But as Dudeface, Flippy and others have pointed out. You can still play the game in 32 bit.

If there was ever a time for Torn Banner to decide to go 64 only, then there will be an announcement letting everyone know of the change over. :)

gasp a Moderator acknowledged me! I feel so special ^_^